Lever Action Love...

I really like my lever actions Marlin 336 in 35 rem, Marlin 39A 22, Savage 99 in 308, Browning BLR in 358 winchester. But——- maybe I read too much WDM Bell and Robert Ruark or Ernest Hemingway because when going to Africa I would be carrying in this order Mannlicher Schoenauer model 1905, Mauser 98 sporter in 7x57, CZ 550 FS in 9.3x62, and a smile as wide as Kilamenjaro

DSCN8156-X3-2.jpg
MMCougar1-X3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I too love lever actions, especially Marlins. Just traded for this unfired octagon barrel 336CB in .38-55. Love the rifle, but it seems a waste to be the first to shoot it after 30 years.View attachment 467821

Beautiful rifle ! Seems like you have a decision to make , did you buy it purely as an investment / ornament or do you want to enjoy shooting it ?

Maybe there’s already a thread to this effect somewhere on the site, but I’m going to post this one now. I had thought to do so because of @Tom Leoni 's thread about the use of single shots.

My heart belongs to lever actions, and that likely got its start with my first ever gun – an Ithaca Model 49 that was given to me well before the age of ten. I loved that rifle. I still do – I still have it. I still occasionally hunt small game here in Alaska with it. So my infatuation with lever action rifles started early, and now, at age 55, far and away most of my rifles are lever actions.

When I went to Africa for the first time last May, I took two: my Marlin XLR in .338 Marlin for plains game, and my 1895 GBL (.45-70) for buffalo (I also killed a zebra with it). Both worked magnificently, as I knew they would: I have great confidence in them.

So I guess with this thread I’d love to see/hear/learn two things. First, for those with a similar affection for lever actions, I’d love to see photos of your successes. I am aware of a handful of names that have never been bashful about sharing of their affinity for lever action rifles. I’m hopeful they’ll chime in, but I also hope maybe this’ll pull a few more hunters out of the woodwork so to speak.

Also, for outfitters in Africa: how often do you get clients who bring lever actions? I ask this because my outfitter had said they get very, very few. In post hunt discussions on the drive to the airport – going over all aspects of the hunt – lever actions came up after the fact and he admitted that in checking guns to make sure they were empty before putting them back on hunting rig… they certainly felt less familiar than bolt actions. It made me wonder how many guys bring lever actions with them to Africa; I’d love to hear from those of you who guide about this. Thanks in advance.

Photos provided show my go-to MXLR. Top photo: 2020 caribou hunt in March. I am MUCH more proud of what's behind me. By the snowmachine in the distance is my daughter's first caribou, which she dropped with a single shot at 170 yards. Mine was shot a brief moment later and took a couple shots - it was moving pretty good on the first and required an anchoring shot. Distance was about 200 yards. Bottom photo: my second impala from last May. It was high up on a hill with a bunch of ewes. One shot at 209 yards brought it down almost immediately.

View attachment 467221
View attachment 467222
@Tundra Tiger
I went off lever actions 40 odd years ago after putting the trigger of a Winchester 94 in 30-30 thru my finger. Operator error but shit it hurt.
Since then I went off them but have a sift spot for them. I have a 92 in 25-20 that is my little fun gun as long as I take it slow and watch the finger.
Bob
20210706_104933.jpg

@Tundra Tiger
I went off lever actions 40 odd years ago after putting the trigger of a Winchester 94 in 30-30 thru my finger. Operator error but shit it hurt.
Since then I went off them but have a sift spot for them. I have a 92 in 25-20 that is my little fun gun as long as I take it slow and watch the finger.
Bob
View attachment 467971
Made me cringe just reading that Bob that’s what I love about my BLR the trigger moves with the lever so no chance of injuring your trigger finger.

I too love lever actions, especially Marlins. Just traded for this unfired octagon barrel 336CB in .38-55. Love the rifle, but it seems a waste to be the first to shoot it after 30 years.View attachment 467821
That would be like buying a hammer and just keeping it in your tool box. Tools need to be used to fulfill their purpose. Same with guns. Just one old hunters opinion.

I must say I really love the look of the classic Winchester 94. I have been looking for a 30-30 here in SA to use in the thick Limpopo bush for pigs, but sadly they are like hens teeth.

So by some miracle, or the power of the lever action thread, but I have finally managed to find a pre-64 M94 in 30-30 which I will shortly be submitting the paper work for. It’s got the 20” barrel and some really nice figure in the stock. It’s seen some use but in good condition. I plan to load the 150 grain peregrine VRG3 flat nose bullets.
I am really excited and would like to find a nice aperture sight to go with it.

IMG_1913.jpg
IMG_1907.JPG
IMG_1908.JPG
IMG_1907.JPG
IMG_1909.JPG
IMG_1911.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
So by some miracle, or the power of the lever action thread, but I have finally managed to find a pre-64 M94 in 30-30 which I will shortly be submitting the paper work for. It’s got the 20” barrel and some really nice figure in the stock. It’s seen some use but in good condition. I plan to load the 150 grain peregrine VRG3 flat nose bullets.
I am really excited and would like to find a nice aperture sight to go with it.

View attachment 468510View attachment 468511
View attachment 468512View attachment 468513
Congratulations nice rifle !!! Lucky to find a nice pre -64 . Did you find it in SA ?
Is the butt stock standard or has it been tampered with , looks a bit short - maybe it is just the photos , or my eye sight ?

Congratulations nice rifle !!! Lucky to find a nice pre -64 . Did you find it in SA ?
Is the butt stock standard or has it been tampered with , looks a bit short - maybe it is just the photos , or my eye sight ?

Thanks! Based on the serial number it was made in 1960. I found it for sale in South Africa. I think the angle of the photo makes it look shorter than it is. It should be really good medicine for hogs in the thick bush.

Thanks! Based on the serial number it was made in 1960. I found it for sale in South Africa. I think the angle of the photo makes it look shorter than it is. It should be really good medicine for hogs in the thick bush.

Will be good for hogs and any small to medium game in the bushveld . Hunting with a lever action is good fun , especially if open sights and one needs to get relatively close .
I havent used Peregrine bullets in my 30-30 but I hear they are quality bullets .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jenniferlaw003

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg