shuter

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Website
www.roboliveauthor.com
Media
Hunted
Oregon, Montana
Anyone have experience with/opinions about these? I'm talking about the ones where the rings have round studs that fit down into the bases and lock with a 1/4 turn of the levers, not the QRW Weaver-style rings.

Thanks

Yes sir, I have very extensive experience with them and they are completely awesome.

Not one single complaint after several years of using them on several different rifles.

There is a small and simple trick to use with these in order to be able to swap a scope out on different rifles. First, all of the rifles must be the exact same model. Remington model 700, for instance. You start out with one rifle on which you mount the bases, then carefully mount the lower rings on the rifle bases and then attach the scope with the top ring halves. Do this in a very methodical, slow step by slow step manner, ensuring that there is nothing placed in a bind.

Now, when you mount a set of bases on another rifle on which you will use the same scope, you actually use the rings and scope configuration to "set" the bases, so to speak. Gradually tighten the bases to the rifle, making sure that the rings and scope will slip in and out of the bases as you go.

I am sure that this is likely explained in a better manner than I have done, as I simply learned this on my own by trial and error, but I promise you it works like a charm. Once you have the set up done, you can add scope and ring combinations by securing them to any rifle that the bases are already set up on.

Make sense? I hope I have been able to help you with this very functional QR set up from the good folks at Leupold.

Jeff

I have used them extensively on plains game type rifles (30-06, etc.) and they work great. I am going to use a set on my DGR (375 H & H). I spoke with a person who has had them on two 375's for close to 10 years. He advises they work perfectly even with the increased recoil. I believe you will be well pleased with them.
m.d. browne

I'm trying this setup on a new rifle, my thought is two have a single rifle that will shoot a heavy bullet at close range with a 1x5 scope and a lighter round that I can shoot at distance with a 2.5x8. I don't really know if this quick release will stand up under a heavy recoil rifle but come spring in Minnesota I'm going to find out

Thanks for the info so far, guys. Please keep 'em coming! I'm looking at them not so much for the QR feature, but as a viable means of mounting a scope LOW on my SAKO 75 .338. Especially in 30mm, the Sako Optilock rings are a bit high, as are the Talleys. And Warne doesn't make theirs anymore. So the Leupold QR setup actually looks very good for the Sako dovetail receiver.

You'll love 'em, shuter! They are very good pieces of hardware. Also, that is some excellent advice offered by jeffpg.
Rob44, never seen them not stand up just fine to heavy recoil.

I'm trying this setup on a new rifle, my thought is two have a single rifle that will shoot a heavy bullet at close range with a 1x5 scope and a lighter round that I can shoot at distance with a 2.5x8. I don't really know if this quick release will stand up under a heavy recoil rifle but come spring in Minnesota I'm going to find out

I understand your concern on that issue Rob, and although most of my QR's are on relativelyrlight caliber riles, I would be willing to wager that you will have no problem whatsoever with them in any application. They also are made with such close tolerances that they seem to always go right back to original zero when removed and replaced in my experience.

If you look closely at the photo below, you can see that the old vintage Kahles riflescope on this pre-64 model 70 Winchester in 375 Holland & Holland Magnum that Ernest Dyason of Spear Safaris was kind enough to loan me for my hunt with him late last year is indeed secured by the Leupold QR in question here.
IMG_2323.JPG

Now, we'd have to ask Ernest just how long this set up has been in use, but I do know that this very special old rifle was handed down to him by his father and it is the go to loaner gun for guys coming in without their favorite firearm. There is no telling what this rifle has put down over the years, and I wouldn't be surprised to find that the mounting set up has been in place for quite some time now.

In fact, my inquiring mind compels me to research...

You'll love 'em, shuter! They are very good pieces of hardware. Also, that is some excellent advice offered by jeffpg.
Rob44, never seen them not stand up just fine to heavy recoil.
Thats good to hear They don't look near as heavy duty as other brands out there but they were affordable so I took a shot I should post up some Pics of my project

Last edited:
Wow, Jeff, great pic, great old rifle, and awesome boss on that old buff!

Thats good to hear I should post up some Pics of my project

Please do so sir. I have considered using the system on my own 375 H&H, but I used a set of Talley's that I had layin' around instead.

Wow, Jeff, great pic, great old rifle, and awesome boss on that old buff!

Thanks shuter, I am a gun-foolish man of too many rifles but I absolutely fell in love with that old Winchester during my week long affair with her. I am still looking to buy myself one like it.
As for the old buffalo, well I could not possibly be more pleased with him AND with my hunt for him. Great experience!

I've had a set on my 338 RUM for years and they have never budged!

Love the boss on that Buff!
Very special rifle indeed. Oh the tales I bet it could tell :)
Here's a pic of a .416 Ruger with QR bases and rings. Seem to tolerate that level of recoil no problem definitely gets you down low.
image.jpg

I found out that the scope has been mounted on the rifle that I mentioned above since they first came out, which I believe was about 20 years ago.

As the loaner rifle for this very busy outfitter, it has been used a lot through out the years, and definitely holds a steady zero.

I have Leupold, Burris and Warne quick release rings. Warne beats them all hands down. Leupold and Burris work perfectly but Warne is a step up in quality.

These are all QRW style and never have moved zero. Zero is always on when re attaching the scope.

Here you Go

Attachments

• DSC00287.JPG
    7.9 MB · Views: 786
  • DSC00288.JPG
    7 MB · Views: 482
I was struggling to mount the new Zeiss V8 1,8-14 scope, to my Sako 85 Kodiak in .375 H&H, low enough. The 36mm tube on the Zeiss made for a poor selection in fitting mounts. Then I found a local gun shop that made 36mm rings for QR locally in a 7mm height version (Nubben at Bryne; Norway).
Combined with the Leupold Sako QR bases this is the best solution I have seen so far. You might glimpse a look at the profile picture. Worked very well when shooting the Blue Wilderbeast :)

Uploaded a larger copy of the photo also.

Attachments

• DSC_3630.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 643

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smithcaterine92

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg