Let’s have some .375 fun

The smallest animals I've shot with my 375 H&H was a Warthog, and a Bushbuck at a long distance for the 375. :) I also shot a pine tree, and almost cut it in half. Does that count? :ROFLMAO:

Nevada “picket pins” aka: a type of high desert miniature “prairie dog”.
For global members not familiar with western USA cowboy slang, prairies dogs are not dogs at all.
They are a type of borrowing, ground dwelling squirrel that makes a “barking” sound, similar to what a tiny dog’s sound might be.

Grain farmers and livestock ranchers do not like them, because cattle and horses sometimes step into prairie dog holes and break a leg.
The little rodents are poisoned in large numbers by some land owners.
So, instead of poison, a well placed bullet seems more acceptable to some of us rifle enthusiasts.

The .375 H&H goes clear through the little “picket pins” and it even goes clear through the full size prairie dogs of Wyoming, Montana, The Dakotas, etc.
Unless when I have missed the little critters now and then, I’ve never had to shoot one twice with my .375 caliber rifle.

Nevada “picket pins” aka: a type of high desert miniature “prairie dog”.
For global members not familiar with western USA cowboy slang, prairies dogs are not dogs at all.
They are a type of borrowing, ground dwelling squirrel that makes a “barking” sound, similar to what a tiny dog’s sound might be.

Grain farmers and livestock ranchers do not like them, because cattle and horses sometimes step into prairie dog holes and break a leg.
The little rodents are poisoned in large numbers by some land owners.
So, instead of poison, a well placed bullet seems more acceptable to some of us rifle enthusiasts.

The .375 H&H goes clear through the little “picket pins” and it even goes clear through the full size prairie dogs of Wyoming, Montana, The Dakotas, etc.
Unless when I have missed the little critters now and then, I’ve never had to shoot one twice with my .375 caliber rifle.
Too funny. I have also shot prairie dogs (pins) with my 375. On a Shiras Moose hunt years ago I took along a box of 235gr Speer handloads that were super accurate and actually made some long shots on those little buggars.

Once heading home at near dark from a buffalo hunt a little critter ran across the road in front of us. Our tracker was super excited. My PH said it was the biggest Sharpes Grysbok he had ever seen (it looked like a damn rabbit to me). I held mid body so as not to spoil the cape and literally cut him in half with my 375 270gr Nosler.

My .375 wby and 235 gr Barnes tsx on a duiker. I was really pleased with the shot and positively amazed when he ran about 30 yards before he was done. Shot a couple springbok as well
77B3C974-F9A6-4F06-921E-B4C4B669775A.jpeg

The smallest animals I've shot with my 375 H&H was a Warthog, and a Bushbuck at a long distance for the 375. :) I also shot a pine tree, and almost cut it in half. Does that count? :ROFLMAO:
Trees count.

I shot this tree with a .375. I was shooting at a bongo, but these old eyes can't focus on anything other than the front sight and the target . . . this tree happened to be in the middle (along with a bunch of other stuff . . . this is the jungle after all). Fortunately, it was a .375 and it still hit the bongo, spining it.

They do say "use enough gun"!

IMG_1045.jpeg

Livingston Suni, Red Duiker, Cape Grysbuk, and more small antelopes but these are the smallest.

I once just a shot a small hog (45lbs) in South Texas with a Winchester silver-tip in the neck. The only thing holding the head to the body was a small piece of skin on the entry side. I clipped a limb like @Hank2211 did. Had it been my 7mm we would have mesquite for dinner instead.

In a similar spirit to this post, I just bought a 375 Ruger a few weeks back and proceeded to the backyard to test it out. I shot a giant hole through a tree stump with a 300gr solid. I also had an old printer that finally kicked the bucket. Sent a solid through that thing too and it exploded. Its great to live in the middle of nowhere :LOL:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AshleyOyi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg