Leopard import to stop?

November 29, 2016
The Humane Society of the United States

African leopards a step closer to endangered species list, protection from trophy hunters

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service announced that all leopards may qualify for “endangered” status under the Endangered Species Act. The decision comes in response to a legal petitionsubmitted in July 2016 by The Humane Society of the United States, Humane Society International, International Fund for Animal Welfare, Center for Biological Diversity and The Fund for Animals.

Leopards are at risk of extinction across their African and Asian range, having suffered a population decline in sub-Saharan Africa of more than 30 percent in the past 25 years, in part due to unsustainable trophy hunting by Americans. Yet due to a loophole in place since 1982, hundreds of leopard trophies per year have been imported into the United States without proper scrutiny by the federal government or scientific experts. In 2014, hunters imported 311 leopard trophies into the U.S.

In making its decision, the agency found that the group’s petition presented substantial scientific evidence that endangered protections may be warranted. The decision kicks off a comprehensive review of the status of the species.

Teresa M. Telecky, Ph.D, director of the wildlife department at HSI, said: “African leopard numbers are plummeting and as the largest leopard trophy importer in the world, the United States has taken a critical step toward ensuring that our consumption does not threaten the survival of this species.”

Jeff Flocken, IFAW’s North America regional director, said: “This is a crucial step forward in saving these imperiled animals. We thank the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service for recognizing that enhanced protections under U.S. law may be warranted.”

Anna Frostic, senior wildlife attorney for The HSUS, said: “Initiating a status review of the species is long overdue and it is imperative that FWS expeditiously conclude this process and take action to increase oversight of African leopard trophy imports, as required by law.”

Sarah Uhlemann, international program director at the Center for Biological Diversity, said: “Leopards in Asia and northern Africa have long been recognized as endangered, and the United States must extend this same level of protection to all leopards to reverse their disturbing decline.”

Background:

• In sub-Saharan Africa, the leopard population has declined by more than 30 percent in the past 25 years, and the species has lost 48-67 percent of its historic range in Africa.
  • Between 2005-2014, at least 10,191 individual leopards were traded internationally as hunting trophies, with the U.S. as the top importer (accounting for 45 percent of this trade).
  • The number of leopard trophy imports has remained over 300 per year since 1999, despite commitments from FWS in 1982 to only allow “very few” leopard trophies into the country.
  • Panthera pardus is listed on CITES Appendix I, which prohibits international trade for commercial purposes, but this international agreement does not prohibit trade in hunting trophies.
  • Competition for records and prizes, such as Safari Club International’s “Grand Slam Cats of the World” and others, drive wealthy trophy hunters to seek out the world’s rarest animals and encourage trophy hunting at a time when the long-held belief that such killing aided conservation efforts is crumbling under increasing evidence that ecotourism boosts economies more than hunting expeditions.
  • Trophy hunting is under increased scrutiny following the 2015 killing of Cecil the lion in Zimbabwe.

Source: http://www.humanesociety.org/news/p...closer-to-endangered-species-list-112916.html

And Giraffe is not far behind.
Illegal Hunting, Habitat Loss Pushing Giraffes Toward “Silent Extinction”

Giraffes, the tallest animals on land, have become “vulnerable” to extinction. According to the latest Red List by the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), giraffe population has declined by 40% in the last three decades. There were an estimated 152,000-163,000 giraffes in Africa in 1985. But today their number has shrunk to only about 98,000. There has been more emphasis on rhinos and elephants, while giraffes have gone under the radar.

Giraffe is a ‘war fodder’ in war-torn areas of Africa
The IUCN said at a biodiversity meeting in Mexico on Wednesday that illegal hunting, loss of habitat, and civil unrest in many African countries were pushing giraffes towards a “silent extinction.” Though these majestic animals are still commonly seen in zoos, in the media, and on safari, most people are unaware that the giraffe has become “vulnerable” to extinction. The giraffe population was previously considered of “least concern” by the IUCN.

With the rising human population and expansion of farmland, the threatened giant is under severe pressure in its core ranges across the Central, East, and West Africa. Illegal hunting, civil strife, drought, and climate change are aggravating factors, said Craig Hilton-Taylor, head of the Red List. In war-torn areas like northern Kenya, South Sudan, Ethiopia, and Somalia, giraffes are “war fodder” that can feed a lot of people.

Not all giraffe populations across Africa are declining, though. Some populations, mainly in Southern Africa, are growing. There are nine known subspecies of giraffes. Of them, five have seen a decline in their populations, one was stable, while the remaining three have grown in the last three decades. The outcomes are largely dependent on location. For instance, giraffe populations in Southern Africa have increased two to three times since 1985. In East Africa, some populations have declined by up to 95%.

We can still secure the long-term future of giraffes
The IUCN has urged governments to step up their conservation efforts to protect the planet’s wildlife. Biologists believe that certain local populations might not survive, but we still have time to act towards securing the long-term future of these creatures. In Southern Africa, the population has been increasing largely due to the management of game parks for tourists, which can be a lesson to other countries.

The IUCN said that the African gray parrot, known for mimicking human speech, has become endangered, one step worse than “vulnerable.” The Red List points out that 11% of about 700 other bird species that scientists assessed were at risk of extinction. A total of 860 plant and animal species have gone extinct, and another 68% have become extinct in the wild. Approximately 13,000 species have been categorized as endangered or critically endangered.

Source: http://www.valuewalk.com/2016/12/hunting-giraffes-silent-extinction/

Well I think this makes a great point. It is just like many of us have said, they will not stop till they ban hunting period. First elephants, then lions, then leopards, then giraffes, then whatever is next. No matter how you feel about hunting a certain species, you have to fight to protect our right to hunt it. Because they are not going to stop till there is a complete ban.

I understand this is just a potential import ban, but it greatly impacts the number of people that will hunt that species.

Can't wait till Trump is in and Ashe is out.

No don't worry as soon as we stop the raised lions they will go away. Oh that's right we did that and there still coming for more. To think they are pushing on the giraffe now already to is very scary to me.

I think we can thank god trump won or we would be in real trouble. Just hope all those that thought the anti's would go away when phasa and the moral hunters took the other side don't read to much into the rules being changed back to our favor if they do because of trump. The danger is now reading to much into what trump may do for us as hunter as like we have won because of what some did over the last two years selling other hunters out because they don't like how some hunt.

If trump gets in there and does what we are all hoping I hope we stick together this time and fight for all hunters not just what we each like.

Most of us can agree if the trophy can't be imported, it's moot whether it is still legal to hunt them or not. For our purposes: no legal importation equals not legal - right?

Nope. Not for me. Guess I'm not part of the most. :cool:

I will keep saying this til the cows come home. Bans work because hunters let them.

I respect your opinion as we all have one. It's a personal decision I guess.

Johnny trust me most guys will not hunt a leopard unless they can bring it back. It sounds good to say screw the ban but most will not because of it.

I think you will be ok as I can only think with trump going in to office most of the bans will go away. The anti's have lost a big part of there voice come jan 20th.

Johnny trust me most guys will not hunt a leopard unless they can bring it back. It sounds good to say screw the ban but most will not because of it.

I think you will be ok as I can only think with trump going in to office most of the bans will go away. The anti's have lost a big part of there voice come jan 20th.
Hope your right Bill. If My PH gets a tag it must be stipulated I can import the cat, otherwise I want my deposit back.

Hope your right Bill. If My PH gets a tag it must be stipulated I can import the cat, otherwise I want my deposit back.

Definitely have that clearly stated in the contract Johnny. The risk, although lower, would be after the hunt as well. You'll need to plan for a refund even after the cat is shot, should something go south with imports.

I don't know about after the kill...that one may be tough. I'll depend on SSI to give me guidance on this one.

You guys are up against well funded propagandists and someone had better wake up a beat the funding out of them.
Lie enough it becomes the truth.

Yeah, would think it would be. It will be interesting to see your PH will do the deposit refund should a ban happen between deposit and hunt.

I'm trying to think what I'd do if I was an outfitter.... I think if it was a few months off and no other takers I'd do it, but if I had others in line for that tag I'd go to the next guy and take his deposit.

Bans work because hunters let them.

Yep, so I don't want to hear anyone crying if they choose to let the UFWFWS keep them from hunting.

I respect your opinion as we all have one. It's a personal decision I guess.

So what's your decision?

I agree, but that means most in my opinion are screwing themselves, future generations and robbing themselves of what is really important.

You guys are up against well funded propagandists and someone had better wake up a beat the funding out of them.
Lie enough it becomes the truth.

:A Bulb:
Maybe there is some Russian hacker :D Passed Out:that can get some emails :V Through Screen:from these liars and:V Chair:!

:A Bulb:
Maybe there is some Russian hacker :D Passed Out:that can get some emails :V Through Screen:from these liars and:V Chair:!

Scary thing is, most people still won't understand the lies .... :A Bonk:

Yep, so I don't want to hear anyone crying if they choose to let the UFWFWS keep them from hunting.

So what's your decision?

I agree, but that means most in my opinion are screwing themselves, future generations and robbing themselves of what is really important.
Phil my decision is what is always has been, I would not hunt something I could not import. I support those who feel differently but for me I would not do it. I understand what your saying but for me just to do the hunt and say I killed something just for the sake of doing it does not sit well with me. Again I guess some here would say if I cant put it in my trophy room I m wrong. I hope all the pro hunting organizations we support will stop this and future bans with scientific facts. Long shot.........

@johnnyblues I don't blame you. I would much rather import especially something as hard earned as a Leopard. A ban would definitely make me think twice. I am probably over optimistic that Trump will stop this nonsense of import bans.

Phil my decision is what is always has been, I would not hunt something I could not import. I support those who feel differently but for me I would not do it. I understand what your saying but for me just to do the hunt and say I killed something just for the sake of doing it does not sit well with me. Again I guess some here would say if I cant put it in my trophy room I m wrong. I hope all the pro hunting organizations we support will stop this and future bans with scientific facts. Long shot.........

Not saying you're wrong and no offense intended. What I am saying is you're letting the gov't rob you of the experience if you choose not to hunt anything that they won't let you import.

None taken.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StevieMiel

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob