Leopard Hunt With Hounds Botswana

There is a report on his hunt. That PH is one tough SOB, he managed a smile for the camera.

Hello All
My apologies I have been out checking on a new hunting area. These hunts are not to be taken lightly and it is dangerous. Fortunately I have been hunting Dangerous Game in Botswana for 25 years (Except when it was shut down). If/when the leopard comes he will come full tilt no holding back. He will not circle or move around us. He will come straight for us if he decides to come. We are experienced at these hunts and have done many. You will be in good hands.

Hello All
My apologies I have been out checking on a new hunting area. These hunts are not to be taken lightly and it is dangerous. Fortunately I have been hunting Dangerous Game in Botswana for 25 years (Except when it was shut down). If/when the leopard comes he will come full tilt no holding back. He will not circle or move around us. He will come straight for us if he decides to come. We are experienced at these hunts and have done many. You will be in good hands.
Can you post here the current hunting law in Botswana in particular regarding hunting leopard with dogs and a vehicle?

Can you post here the current hunting law in Botswana in particular regarding hunting leopard with dogs and a vehicle?

I am confused. He has never once in this thread said that you will be shooting from the vehicle. He has never even suggested that would happen on this hunt. Another member said he saw a video where a leopard charged a vehicle and they had to shoot it. The outfitter did say that a leopard charging even if you’re in a vehicle was still very dangerous. I have never hunted leopard but I would imagine the outfitter was correct by stating that was a dangerous situation. But he never implied that was how this hunt would be conducted

… can’t see much difference between sitting in a blind, gun fixed in direction of the bait and waiting for, the light is switched on …

or sitting/standing in car :unsure:

If it’s legal = everyone is free to decide whether it is worth it for him and whether he consider it “ethical” in terms of hunting.

If I have the chance to hunt anytime for a Leopard = only by daylight!!!
… and so I can imagine that this hunt in the thorn bush of the Kalahari is an absolute experience!!!

All the best for the hunter who takes the chance - hoping to read a report here in the forum.

You are right, and I apologized to the OP for derailing his thread.

Everyone has their own position on what is ethical or not.

I shot 2 Leopards over the years while hiding in the darkness of a blind and the cats had no idea that I was there until they were smashed by a bullet.....but I won't shoot one from a vehicle....which one is "Sportsman Like?" It's up to each of us, and as you said, as long as it's legal

I won't shoot a Cape Buffalo from a fenced-in farm in RSA or a Mountain Lion with dogs, but I shoot stocked Pheasant here in the USA all the time

Anyway, whoever buys this hunt will need to bring extra underwear;)
Fair enough, I respect your stance on this.
My very best always.

I am confused. He has never once in this thread said that you will be shooting from the vehicle. He has never even suggested that would happen on this hunt. Another member said he saw a video where a leopard charged a vehicle and they had to shoot it. The outfitter did say that a leopard charging even if you’re in a vehicle was still very dangerous. I have never hunted leopard but I would imagine the outfitter was correct by stating that was a dangerous situation. But he never implied that was how this hunt would be conducted
A good number of them are shot off the truck. I think Shaka asked the question as an enquiry and received an answer. I for one fully respect his views.
Hounds, Fences, Vehicles, the Catholic Church always controversial ;) :LOL:.

@NKWE SAFARIS Good luck with selling the safari I’m sure you won’t sit with it for long, Leopard is a hot topic right now.

Best, as always.
Jaco

A good number of them are shot off the truck. I think Shaka asked the question as an enquiry and received an answer. I for one fully respect his views.

@NKWE SAFARIS Good luck with selling the safari I’m sure you won’t sit with it for long, Leopard is a hot topic right now.

Best, as always.
Jaco
And since a ban on importing Leopards into the USA is an issue again, this hunt should be done sooner than later.

Best of luck Jaco

Any legal current documentation to clarify this issue yet?
I’ll ask Jeff again. I haven’t pursued the issue much in the last few weeks. But soon as I get the most up to date law on this matter, I’ll post it here.

Reactions: IvW

Best, as always.
Jaco

Yes, you are correct. Those things are always controversial. And I agree Shaka asked a good question. I was just saying I feel the thread kinda went sideways on the legality of the vehicle etc when it was never stated that’s how this hunt will be conducted. Happy Hunting!

Have you read all posts from the first one?

Do you know the hunting law in Botswana?
If the leopard charges the truck then it is shot from the truck.
In which case the trophy is forfeited to the authorities.......the paying hunter is not permitted to claim this as his....simple....

Post the new law if this has changed.....

I have repeatedly asked to post here the current hunting law in Botswana if this has changed.....

An outfit hunting for 25 years in this country should be able to post it easy.....in which case I will post here an apology....

I must add that I find it concerning that admin do not follow up on this either......

Last edited:
….

I must add that I find it concerning that admin do not follow up on this either......

People spot and stalk game from vehicles all over Africa. It’s not illegal. Certainly not in Botswana.
It is illegal, in many places, to shoot from a vehicle and in some places within 200 meters of same.

It’s not illegal to defend yourself against dangerous game in any country in Africa.

If a cat goes to jump in a truck I’m riding in I hope I’m fast enough to stop the critter.

Whether the local authority allows you to retain any animal hunted or shot will be up to them when they hear the report on the hunt. That is not up to AH.

9db1146b-e918-434b-a38f-08d9fca6eb5b.JPG

We face them on foot...

Last edited by a moderator:
Do they have adult diapers in Botswana? I would need one. I had a leopard trot into a call at night but not a charge and that was enough excitement for me.

I would prefer a boring baited hunt!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaja

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,