Leopard Follow Up and Charge

the shot that killed the leopard was taken when he was at 1.5 meters away

That showed a strong level of confidence, experience, and outstanding instinctual shooting.

Well done!
 
I'm in the same position and I've wondered the same. I have searched websites for lion and leopard preferred hunting bullets and they are available. What this client used I guess we will never know. It sure worked on stopping the charge but I suspect it was bullet placement as much as anything.
Considering mountain lions in the west are typically taken with a .22LR, albeit treed with dogs.
 
A couple of years ago, I watched a video in which Craig Boddington was going to kill his 100th buffalo with a pistol. Unfortunately, just as Boddington pulled the trigger, the buff moved. The unfortunate result was a wounded buff. The outfitter would not allow Craig to accompany him and the tracker on the follow up - and Boddington is a very experienced hunter. Much respect to Valerio for allowing the hunter to be present at the end.
First, of all, taking a buff with a pistol is a stunt. Not sure what Boddington was thinking, not too mention the PH. Disrespectful to the animal. Perhaps, Boddington needed material for another article. Also, my attitude is that if I wound it, I kill it, not the PH. That should be established before the hunt starts.
 
Credit: Lionel Berthault Video

"Leopard Charge"


10:40 is the initial shot in the tree.
Follow Up at 11:00
11:41 all done.

Damned fine followup shot.

My first thought: Why, did the PH and Tracker(?) choose to get so close?
Well i would use an open sigthed ,like my Chapuis 470NE, or my 458 mauser or any of my 12s with slugs and buckshot
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,299
Messages
1,571,109
Members
169,107
Latest member
ShaniWorga
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
 
Top