Lefty lightweight deer / elk gun

RickMt, it’s a Tikka T3x Tac A1. If you want an affordable rifle to compete with. This is a good candidate. $1800 MSRP and you would need to spend a lot more to beat the barrel, chassis, action and trigger. 1/2 MOA all day with factory Hornady ELD or ELDX with an average shooter like myself.

Yes that is a Nightforce 8-32x56 NSX Very robust. But I have to say. Not the best glass I have. There are others with better glass. But probably not as tough.

Well thank you everybody for your advice and suggestions. I have purchased a tikka t3x super lite in 7mm rem mag. Gun is right on 6 lbs. I added lightweight Talley mounts and a Limbsaver recoil pad. Topping the gun with a Leupold vari x 3hd 3-10x40 with CDS dial and fire dot reticle. Scope adds about one pound. Gun should be about 7 1/2 lbs all in . Ammo will be Barnes tsx 160 grain at about 2950 fps.
Gun was $1049 at Cabelas in Billings Mt in stainless and camo stock. Scope was $629 on sale and I had $ 140 in Cabelas points. Limbsaver pad was $50 and mounts were about $70.
All in I have approx 1650 in the rig.
I hope he likes it!
Sounds like an awesome setup! Will be exciting to hear about his adventures with it.

BTW- IF he doesn’t like it, I am up for adoption…

RickMt, it’s a Tikka T3x Tac A1. If you want an affordable rifle to compete with. This is a good candidate. $1800 MSRP and you would need to spend a lot more to beat the barrel, chassis, action and trigger. 1/2 MOA all day with factory Hornady ELD or ELDX with an average shooter like myself.

Yes that is a Nightforce 8-32x56 NSX Very robust. But I have to say. Not the best glass I have. There are others with better glass. But probably not as tough.
I use Nightforce on my hunting rifles because I like the Zero stop and set up for shooting longer distance with DOPE… Or at least having the option to.

Tikka with a Nightforce:

IMG_4111.jpeg

Got my son a left handed savage youth model in 243. Using TSX bullets, he’s cleanly killed plenty of animals. It’s a good rifle and an excellent value.
@Bert the Turtle
Probably because he's using the correct bullets unlike others.
Bob

Tikka t3x topped with talley lightweight rings and leupold vx5hd 3-15x44. That would be my choice and still under your budget.

If not married to a bolt action take a look at the Browning lever action it’s light ambidextrous and comes in 358 winchester. Forget to mention more accurate than most of my bolt actions.

If not married to a bolt action take a look at the Browning lever action it’s light ambidextrous and comes in 358 winchester. Forget to mention more accurate than most of my bolt actions.

I've always lusted after one of those in 358 Win, but I've heard the trigger's aren't great. Is that not true?

Looks like I'm a little late to the party...

I know you have a Blaser R8 so I was wondering why you didn't go with a carbon fiber Pro Success stock & LH bolt with a lightweight barrel to match?
1697669496086.png

Top Dog Guns Global has the carbon fiber traditional style in several colors as well...
1697669724032.png

I've always lusted after one of those in 358 Win, but I've heard the trigger's aren't great. Is that not true?
Some are good, mine was horrendous. 9 lbs from factory. I sent it to Neil Jones in Erie PA and he returned it at a hair over 3lbs that breaks like glass. My son has a BLR in 7-08 and his trigger came in at 3 1/2 lbs. I am a 35 caliber fan having them in 35 rem, 358 win, 9x56 MS and 35 Whelen. For woods hunting I love the 358 win. It is the handiest rifle in a tree stand ever.

Tikka t3x topped with talley lightweight rings and leupold vx5hd 3-15x44. That would be my choice and still under your budget.
Thanx RudiB ! I have 2 vari x 5 scopes.
I went with Varix 3 hd because of size and weight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ASBending

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….