Lee collet die

7x57Joe

AH fanatic
Joined
Feb 18, 2017
Messages
628
Reaction score
1,138
Location
USA
Media
28
To those familiar with the Lee neck size collet die, Can the .280 Remington die be used for the 7x64? Thanks
 
I have some of these die and I know the .280 is dimensionally very close to the 7x64, but slightly different. I think I'd call Lee and ask them. Or be willing to sacrifice a piece of brass and give it a go. I'd go slowly and see what happens. I don't think you'll break the die, nor the brass for that matter. Do some before and after measurements along the outside of the neck and see what you get.
 
the dimensions are close enough that I'd try it.
the shoulder of the .280 is slightly farther forward. You won't get all the neck re-sized, a bit near the shoulder won't be affected but there is no big problem with that.
Lee will custom manufacture dies to your specification for a bit more $$, so that's one option, but if you have a .280 die already, just try it and see.
 
they are close in all measurements but the shoulder angle 40.4 vs 35. I would call Lee
 
So, as a non-reloader. I was wondering who Lee Collett was and how they died! :Banghead:
 
So, as a non-reloader. I was wondering who Lee Collett was and how they died! :Banghead:

It was by strangulation.......sort of funny if you know how the die works
 
It was by strangulation.......sort of funny if you know how the die works

LMAO damn that was funny. You owe me a new keyboard because I spit beer all over this one
 
LMAO damn that was funny. You owe me a new keyboard because I spit beer all over this one

Clearly you are familiar with the die.
 
  • Like
Reactions: lcq
Clearly you are familiar with the die.

yup I have 4 of them and as I'm putting on my asbestos suit I'll say the Lee collet works better than my Redding Neck sizers.
 
Ha, glad I could provide you guys some humor! So, I did a search and found the following:

"But what Bart calls a FL resize is a gentle squeeze, and most books, pamphlets, instructions etc show FL resizing to be more like a STRANGULATION or mutilation of the case."

Here's the link. Never thought I could actually find those terms together! http://yarchive.net/gun/ammo/case_resizing.html
 
I just remembered that I use a Redding neck size .280 die for my 7x64, works with no problem. Not the same principle of operation as the Lee die, but I think based on that experience the dimensions should work for you if you try the Lee .280 die.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,291
Messages
1,571,903
Members
169,463
Latest member
DarrylTeno
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top