Learning Safari Language

Hi Dobs,

Oh yes try them, it is quite simple to make! Use Chutney or Apricot Jam with slices of Cheese, Tomato and Onions.

Not sure about down there, but I might have to try them on my moose hunt this fall, just need to wire up something for a good toasted sammich
 
Boerewors, Potjiekos and Bobotie is the closest I come to making. I mostly stick the the Boerewors.

Boerewors, man now your'e talking my language! Any favorite recipe Wayne?
 
..google translate doesn't know it's arse from it's elbow..! For instance, what I said was..

'Silas, throw a friggin' shoe at that snoring Englishman!'
'This truck takes no shit from anything' and, referring to clients that just cannot shoot..
'This guy couldn't hit a cow on the butt with a banjo..'

LOL

I knew it couldn't be right but I figured it would be closer that that at least!
 
Hi Dobs,

Oh yes try them, it is quite simple to make! Use Chutney or Apricot Jam with slices of Cheese, Tomato and Onions.

no tomatoes for me ick, they don't belong on sammichs, salsa or sgetti sauce ok, but never on a sammich
 
no tomatoes for me ick, they don't belong on sammichs, salsa or sgetti sauce ok, but never on a sammich

Agreed.The "broodjie"with only cheese on thats mine.We sometimes make "papwors"in the place of the bread it is "pap"mixed with relish and bacon stuffed into a sausage casing and grilled over the coals.
 
Agreed.The "broodjie"with only cheese on thats mine.We sometimes make "papwors"in the place of the bread it is "pap"mixed with relish and bacon stuffed into a sausage casing and grilled over the coals.

That's creative.
 
Ja-nee, (yes-no) is an answer often heard, basically meaning maybe..
 
Chiky, means agressive.
like: that tuskless is a chiky bastard.
chiky to me sounded like somenthing like a chihuahua dog, something petite and fluffy. Not in Africa.
 
 
Chiky, means agressive.
like: that tuskless is a chiky bastard.
chiky to me sounded like somenthing like a chihuahua dog, something petite and fluffy. Not in Africa.
That's one of those sort of universal words, believe its usually spelled cheeky. Brits use it, we use it, been around. Not necessarily aggressive but more smart aleck with threat potential.
 
Does anyone make themselves Braai Broodjies in America? :p

I'm living in a smaller korean town right now and randomly we have a South African restaurant, appropriately named "Braai Republic." They've even got taxidermy up on the walls... kudu and waterbuck shoulder mounts, gemsbok kudu and warthog euros, zebra rug, etc.

The place definitely brings back memories of our safari.
 
During our recent safari, our PH and our videographer (brothers), used the phrase "Shap" or ShapShap." Or at least that's how it sounded to us.

It was how they pronounced "sharp" and they meant in the sense of good or affirmative.

"Look, a big waterbuck!"
"Ah, shap shap. He's a good one. Lets go."

"Should we hike down this large cliff, and across that large plain to chase down the kudu we spotted two kilometers away?"
"Shap. Lets do it."
 
The best I can add to this thread is not really a word or sayings while on safari, its body language. While riding on the truck or stalking trough the bush, if the trackers or tracker and PH are speaking in Afrikaans, and they all of of sudden get quiet, eyes get big as baseballs , quietly start pointing, or look at each other, say 1 or 2 words, and the PH says come quickly!! Then its time for the heart rate to go up!
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,299
Messages
1,572,041
Members
169,482
Latest member
OlaCounts
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top