Lead Sled Experiences

And best it happen at the range, on a lead sled, than 5 days into a 15-20 day Alaska adventure (always been my worry...get flown in, dropped off, and have something like that happen).
 
And best it happen at the range, on a lead sled, than 5 days into a 15-20 day Alaska adventure (always been my worry...get flown in, dropped off, and have something like that happen).

More than a few people have ended up using their buddies or guides rifle. That is one thing that the new composite style stocks, and stainless steel have going for it, durability. Maybe ugly to some but if they won't break and will keep functioning that's huge in many situations.
 
I have one, it does it's job. But I don't particularly like to use it. I have read, never witnessed it nor know anyone personally who has experienced it, that in the hard kickers that it kills wood stocks. Weighted down there's no give on the recoil end. The barrel and action thus slam your stock, I'd presume this to be worse at the tang. I could buy into this, but can't help but wonder if the stock is properly bedded that this wouldn't be an issue. I would not think that would be a problem for the 7-08 or other such calibers.

From my experience, there's no need to lug around the 25lb bags of sand or lead shot to use it effectively. 5lbs or thereabouts should do the trick.

My dislike about it is that I just don't like the shooting position it puts me into. It for all purposes extends the length of pull of your rifle and this puts me into an awkward position to properly see through the scope.
I agree with what you say..When there is recoil something has to give ..If it is all held by the stock with no movement sooner or later something is going break or at least wobble out...Wife and I both have brakes on our 06's and love them..If you can't stand the noise put the threaded cap on for hunting...
 
I agree with what you say..When there is recoil something has to give ..If it is all held by the stock with no movement sooner or later something is going break or at least wobble out...Wife and I both have brakes on our 06's and love them..If you can't stand the noise put the threaded cap on for hunting...

In this respect, Ruger did their best, to please all (brake, compensating weight, cap).
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,298
Messages
1,572,010
Members
169,474
Latest member
AubreyWyan
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top