Lang 12 Bore For Sale

Can you shoot modern heavy upland loads in this gun? I’m looking for a sxs with double triggers to get a little more practice with double triggers to build muscle memory for double rifle shooting purposes.

I recommend an German Democratic Republic (GDR) Model 8. Build like a tank but with enough style and grace to complement your hunts and gun safe.

@rookhawk and/or @Red Leg.....being that this is the 2 1/2" chamber, is it at all possible much less safe to take the chamber out to handle 2 3/4" shells? Not saying you would do this to a best quality SxS but can it be done and does it make any sense to do this in a favorite shotgun in the couple/three thousand dollar range so that ammunition is far easier to get? I guess it would matter on the quality and materials of the barrels etc???

Just interested and figured either or both of you would have the answer. Thanks in advance!

@rookhawk and/or @Red Leg.....being that this is the 2 1/2" chamber, is it at all possible much less safe to take the chamber out to handle 2 3/4" shells? Not saying you would do this to a best quality SxS but can it be done and does it make any sense to do this in a favorite shotgun in the couple/three thousand dollar range so that ammunition is far easier to get? I guess it would matter on the quality and materials of the barrels etc???

Just interested and figured either or both of you would have the answer. Thanks in advance!
The issue is not actually the chamber length - it is the pressure to which the gun is prooved. Unlike American gun production - make it tough enough to handle whatever someone is dumb enough to cram into it - British game guns are built proportionally to the loads it is designed to accept.

That proportional build also means there is no excess metal to grind away on at the chamber. You will also have taken it out of proof.

A typical British game gun is built to safely use a maximum load of 1 1/8 ounces of shot. Start running 1 1/4 ounce loads through it, and it will quickly be shot to a rattling piece of junk. I see examples of these every time I go to a large gun show.

Most game guns will actually chamber 2 3/4 loads safely. I have only a couple that wouldn’t open easily upon firing due to the fired shell pressing against the action face.

But shell length is not a problem in this country. You can order 2.5 inch shells by the flat on line and have them delivered to your front door.

I realized the loads would have to be suitable power and load size, so i was just wondering about shooting the lighter hand loads or even factory loads...1oz for the range and 1, 1 1/8 for upland. I was always under the impression that 2 1/2" shells were three times the money plus with the way prices have sky rocketed in the ammo world it would even be tougher to get and even higher priced. So basically as long as you run the lighter 2 3/4" shells you might be alright without having to modify the shotgun. I guess if the shorter shells are fairly easy to get it wouldnt be an issue? I already buy duck/geese loads by the flat as my dogs and I guide and I end up shooting lots at a friends private duck lake up on Sauvies Island. Lot of the members have top shelf shotguns but are not the best shots!

You definitely do not want to lengthen the chamber and take the gun out of proof.

I realized the loads would have to be suitable power and load size, so i was just wondering about shooting the lighter hand loads or even factory loads...1oz for the range and 1, 1 1/8 for upland. I was always under the impression that 2 1/2" shells were three times the money plus with the way prices have sky rocketed in the ammo world it would even be tougher to get and even higher priced. So basically as long as you run the lighter 2 3/4" shells you might be alright without having to modify the shotgun. I guess if the shorter shells are fairly easy to get it wouldnt be an issue? I already buy duck/geese loads by the flat as my dogs and I guide and I end up shooting lots at a friends private duck lake up on Sauvies Island. Lot of the members have top shelf shotguns but are not the best shots!

You ask reasonable questions.

1.) The gun is better now than it will be after any modifications. Modifications will destroy the gun's value.

2.) Nothing ever got stronger by removing metal. Shadetree American gunsmiths have caused more danger and destruction of value by lengthening chambers than they've done good. Equally unadvised, you can shoot a 2.75" shell in a 2.5" chamber. It's very dumb because it causes a pressure spike, but people do it. Slightly less dumb, people will lengthen the forcing cone to shoot 2.75 low pressure shells in a 2.5" chamber.

3.) Presently, the cost of 2.5" shells is an astounding $12. I believe the cost at present of 2.75" shells is roughly a cent less per box.

4.) 2.5" shells pattern better.

5.) 2.5" chambered guns are about 1.5lbs lighter

6.) 2.5" chambered guns are worth considerably more

7.) Guns that have been lengthened from 2.5" to 2.75" become virtually worthless, particularly if they are not re-proofed in England afterwards

If you want overweight guns with lots of recoil and poor levels of refinement, just buy a new 2.75" gun. Doing such conversions to this gun is equivalent of buying a ferrari and putting a trailer hitch on the back.

1.) The gun is better now than it will be after any modifications. Modifications will destroy the gun's value.

2.) Nothing ever got stronger by removing metal. Shadetree American gunsmiths have caused more danger and destruction of value by lengthening chambers than they've done good. Equally unadvised, you can shoot a 2.75" shell in a 2.5" chamber. It's very dumb because it causes a pressure spike, but people do it. Slightly less dumb, people will lengthen the forcing cone to shoot 2.75 low pressure shells in a 2.5" chamber.

3.) Presently, the cost of 2.5" shells is an astounding $12. I believe the cost at present of 2.75" shells is roughly a cent less per box.

7.) Guns that have been lengthened from 2.5" to 2.75" become virtually worthless, particularly if they are not re-proofed in England afterwards

If you want overweight guns with lots of recoil and poor levels of refinement, just buy a new 2.75" gun. Doing such conversions to this gun is equivalent of buying a ferrari and putting a trailer hitch on the back.

Where are you presently finding 2 1/2" shells "in stock" for $12?

Given RST's production has been nearly non-existent for quite some time, I know quite a few individuals who would appreciate that info.

I would much appreciate a link to the 2.5” shells in the US. RST informed a friend they don’t anticipate any this year. What are other, reliable sources?

Where are you presently finding 2 1/2" shells "in stock" for $12?

Given RST's production has been nearly non-existent for quite some time, I know quite a few individuals who would appreciate that info.
I was told the same thing by people “in the know’ at Wanenmacher’s gun show last month, but couldn’t find a single box of 2.5” shells, in 11 acres, at the largest gun show in the world….

Buy the gun, and you get six boxes of ammo!
Also, so-called "mini-shells" seem to be readily available on Gun Broker. Light loads, of course, but just fine for light upland game, which is what this gun was built for.

I bought 2.5” shells for both my sons a couple months ago. RST had both paper hull 20 gauge and plastic 12s in stock. $120-ish a case.

you can also look at availability of B&P subsonics, eleys, polywads, or roll your own.

last ditch you can shoot Win featherlite 2.75” if you don’t mind shoving 2.75” into a 2.5” chamber. Adds 1200psi when you do that.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 8.50.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 8.50.18 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 37
  • Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 8.50.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 8.50.19 PM.png
    906.2 KB · Views: 37

Well said!!

Rokhawk is correct in this. However, the use of 2-3/4" hulls with light, low pressure loads will not cause a significant increase in pressure when fired in a Brit 2-1/2" chamber. This has been documented by Sherman Bell and Larry Brown. The increase may be from 100 psi to 700 psi, depending on a number of factors. This is not enough to exceed working pressures to a dangerous level or exceed proof pressures.

I regularly shoot 7/8 oz. and 1 oz. 2-3/4" loads in my 1930 Atkin SLE (6 lbs, 1-1/2 oz.) and my Dickson RA (6 lbs., 3 oz.) - both with 2-1/2" chambers. I use Winchester Light Target Loads or roll my own loads using 7625 powder. You will find that, for upland work, the 1 oz. loads are more than adequate and very easy on the shoulder, even in a gun as light 6lbs., 2 oz. I went through a number of Brit 12s and 16s during my 'educaton' to find that there is a lot of BS out there about the care and feeding of 2-1/2" Brit guns.

Good luck with your gun, it seems like you have a good one.

Last edited:
No longer available.

Above offer does not include ammo as previously stated - shot it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg