Lack of American made optics

I was thinking of putting a Burris Fullfield IV scope on my Winchester .375 H&H. What you think? Will it bear the strong recoil?

Interesting thread :)
I like good optics as well as anyone. But… Looking back on literally a few hundred if not over a thousand or two shots at game using optical sights. Not to mention thousands of hours glassing for game (or people) through binocs or spotting scopes. … looking back can’t recall a single instance where I could honestly blame any of the optics for a failure of whatever nature. I don’t own a single rifle scope costing over about $500. My binocs ran $900 a few years ago and all prior to that were $200-300 or much older and cheaper. My spotting scope is a small fixed 20x for packing…. erra—gak! a lowly Busnell. :) Last time I used it, it allowed me to assess a really good caribou at over 3 miles which is about my radius limit on a day foray on a back pack DIY hunt with any muskeggy, willow choked crap between… especially after critters like caribou that are continuously wandering. Most of my African game has been taken with a couple of varieties of Leupold FX scopes. My most used game getter scope/rifle is an old 6x Redfield on a Win M70 270. Has not been changed since 1972. Been subjected to every imaginable abuse. I never felt the least handicapped during any hunting it has done.

IMO, where good glass and design is most important, beyond basic reliability of function, are in the binocs used for continuous glassing. Eye strain and headache caused by poor binocs, are no good.

For hunting in wet conditions, goes without saying that absolute waterproof design is critical. Most areas won’t test weatherproofing quite like a wet cold/ marine environment such as Kodiak Island or SE AK. That is where the money on any optical tool should be spent in the design choice with debates about fractions of optical transmission percentages being much much less important!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.