Kudu, Zebra, Oryx - 375 H&H

Rock Rat, a 250 grain 375 projectile should get the job done. I say should. I have not hunted any of the animals you are after-intended to- however I would test the projectile on some home grown elk or at least deer first. I have found that standard cup & core bullets to work fine on light game. However will they stand up to an angling shot from the rear or front? I can't answer that as I do not know. My advice for what its worth. If you set set on using the Game King, by all means do but make sure the subsequent rounds are loaded with a premium bullet like Woodleigh, A Frame etc incase you need to shoot at the south end of a north bound animal.

In the sierra loading manual edition five there's a guy in there that killed a 1000 pound grizzly bear with a 250 grain 375 game King.

@Rock Rat I used the SGK 250grn 375 on my trip to SA this May. Everything I shot at went down with one hit no tracking needed and no lost trophies. The only thing I missed was a Baboon but that was the man pulling the trigger. If I was to go for DG on the other hand yes I would use a premium bullet but for the plains game I found them to be perfect as long as you do your bit.

@Rock Rat I used the SGK 250grn 375 on my trip to SA this May. Everything I shot at went down with one hit no tracking needed and no .

Thanks for sharing, have used 175 SGK in a 7mm Rem Mag to take Whitetails,Mule Deer, Elk and Moose at 2900 fps, with never any complaints.

Hi Rock Rat, I used RE15 with the 235 grain Speer bullets. I called Speer and asked about this bullet for use on African game. Speer folks said it would work great on African plains game animals(antelope kind) with proper bullet placement. They gave me loads, and gave me drop stats out to 400 yards. Exit wounds were between dime size and nickle size. These loads shoot very flat as well, similar to a 300 mag/7mm mag with heavy bullets. Also reduced recoil a fun load to plink with.

Thanks for sharing, have used 175 SGK in a 7mm Rem Mag to take Whitetails,Mule Deer, Elk and Moose at 2900 fps, with never any complaints.

Dont forget African animals are though!!

Plenty of gun! I smoked all 3 of those w/ 30.06 pushing 168gr TTSX.

We've always taken two rifles to Africa. One for dangerous/big game and one for smaller plains game. As the trips go by, the smaller rifle comes out less and less with the 375H&H doing everything we need it to. I shoot 250-grain GMX out of mine doing a respectable 2800fps and have taken animals beyond 300 yards with it. The GMX doubles as a very suitable dangerous game bullet as well so there's no need to switch back and forth. When we head to Tanzania next year, there's only one rifle going!

I shoot 250-grain GMX out of mine doing a respectable 2800fps and have taken animals beyond 300 yards with it.

What powder are you using with the 250 - GMX?

I bought a box of 250 grain - GMX, burning IMR 4064 during barrel run in and quickly ran out of case capacity. I assume the GMX is a long bullet that takes up capacity. First try at loading for 375.

Same gun CZ550 and I used 300 grain Swift A-Frames for my Zebra, Wildebeest, and an impromptu Impala. I shot a mule deer with the same round with no issues. IMHO the larger slower bullet doesn't cause any more waste damage to the meat than say a 30-06. Before I went I put 200 rounds down it and would recommend you do the same and be comfortable with it or else take another rifle you are comfortable with. Good Luck

What powder are you using with the 250 - GMX?

I bought a box of 250 grain - GMX, burning IMR 4064 during barrel run in and quickly ran out of case capacity. I assume the GMX is a long bullet that takes up capacity. First try at loading for 375.

I'm running RL15. I've got a pretty deep chamber in my 375 so the bullet is seated a long ways out of the case. No issues at all for capacity.

Hello, first post. Planning first trip to Namibia for 2018.

Proud new owner of an out of the box CZ 550 375 H&H. Have 25 rounds through barrel run in, need to do some trigger work, but really like it.

My question is would a 250 grain Game King work for Kudu, Mountain Zebra, and Oryx?

In my mind that's a lot of bullet for 500 to 800 pound animals, but reading through threads there's a lot of love for premium bullets.
The price increase to premium bullets is very little compared to the cost of a lost animal. I'm not saying that you should throw the gamekings in the bin, I have used the same bullet in 300gr to take 2 x Koedoe and Gemsbok with only one shot each. See the increase in cost as buying yourself increased piece of mind! Shot placement, as always, is absolutely key. The only reason why the latest and greatest bullets are in every magazine and on every shelf, is because nobody can make the same amount of money out of shot placement as the newest and hottest flattest shooting and completely penetrating bullet.

I still think you will be absolutely fine with that bullet and weight, given the perfect scenario. But what will happen when the shot presented is not so perfect and you wished you rather had that premium bullet up the spout...

Enjoy your trip

I still think you will be absolutely fine with that bullet and weight, given the perfect scenario. But what will happen when the shot presented is not so perfect and you wished you rather had that premium bullet up the spout...
Enjoy your trip

Thank you for your response and advice. I truly appreciate all the feedback. I apologize to everyone if I've come across as a smart a#$(as I've been accused), that was never my intention. One thing I'm learning is there is a lot of passion on this forum and some folks hold some strong convictions.

I strongly believe in karma. Don't want know bad juju as I begin the journey to Africa.

I've got 300 SGK's ordered to begin learning to shoot the venerable 375 H&H.

I've decided when the time comes to deliver the blow I'll use a NP's, A Frame, Barnes, GMX's, or maybe even Nosler AB's. The SGK's have been compromised for the mission.

I would happily use Game Kings in a .375H&H on those animals. As stated, a 270 works fine and I have used a .308 and 165's on those animals with 'advertisement quality' results. If anything a .375 is overkill with premiums and you will have to watch your backdrop more closely. The .375H&H made its reputation on large soft skinned animals as well as the large dangerous cats, with cup and core projectiles. These animals haven't gotten any tougher. Hunting trips have gotten a lot shorter and so there is a perception you need to 'maximise' everything.

I have found premiums are great for high velocity cartridges and close hunting. Take what shoots the most accurately in your rifle.

I would take your 7mm rem mag if you are more familiar with it, for the game you list.

Last edited:
My advice would be to email your PH and ask him what he prefers you bring. My sons and I have only hunted Namibia twice. The first trip, at the recommendation of our PH, my youngest with an 8x57 and me with a 8mm Rem Mag used Barnes 160TTSX and 200 TSX. The next trip I had a .375 H&H with 300 TSX, my oldest a 9.3x62 with 250 TTSX and my youngest again with his 8X57 and 160 TTSX. All worked extremely well on Wildebeest, Kudu, Zebra and others and I shot a nice Eland with the .375. Ask your PH, I doubt he will steer you wrong.

Oh I like the SGK too, but I've got to tell you the TSX's were impressive.

The nice thing about the 375 H&H in this case is no one in their right mind would say it can't do the job. While I'm a big fan of Barnes bullets, there is absolutley nothing wrong with the Sierra Gameking in this case for the game you mentioned. Heck, with this rifle and bullet I'd confidently take an eland. So if you have a good load and are confident with the rifle, use exactly what you first mentioned. I do agree with @dchamp, asking your PH their opinion is always a wise move.

Rock Rat welcome. I lived my boyhood dream in 2015 on cape buff. So boy hood dream,# check. 375 #Check. Take your 375 and don't look back Your game king would work but the premium bullets are cheap insurance and the smallest cost of your safari. I have had great luck with Aframes in 9.3 and .458. and CEB solids in .458 and northfork cupped solids in the 9.3. 9.3's on everything from Diker to cape eland. 450NE on warthog, zebra and cape buff. Shoot your 375 till it just becomes an second nature for you. Enjoy the time to plan and shoot more than you can afford and enjoy every second of your first safari!

Why punish yourself with all that recoil? Deer calibers are fine for plains game, took all mine with a .308(and a few with .300winmag) The best advice I got was "bring your favorite deer rifle"

Plenty of gun & bullet for those animals. Just came back and used 375 H&H Hornady 250 grn GMX. Shot a gemsbok at 250 yards in the crease and smoked him. Ran a few yards up the hill, hit a tree and stumbled back down to where he started and fell there. Shot zebra at 200 yards in the shoulder with the same bullet. Same results - no tracking.

Update: Continuing load development. Most promising load to date is W-760 @ 76.8, Federal Match-LMR, 250 grain SGK. 2700 fps. Shot an 1.25" group off the bench. I'm not sure what a stock 375 H&H CZ 550 is capable of for accuracy, this is my first experience with a big bore(I guess technically it's actually a mid bore), but I'm having fun learning how to shoot it. Free hand and off the sticks surprised how comfortable I'm getting with the recoil. No fan of the big rattle your brain magnums, but I'm finding the 375 is a different type recoil. There is a learning curve to shooting it good off the bench, leaning into it and hold firm to shoulder. If I try and shoot it like my 308's, I get whacked pretty good as a reminder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreemanHar

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.