Kudu Rifle

This is a bit of a "trick question" as the answer really depends more on location than species. Kudu have an enormous range and occur in a variety of terrains, from thick bush to deserts. Hence ranges can vary from less than 50m (handgun range) to beyond a range that anyone would actually try a shot at (but realistically say 400-500m) .
In bush country a 180-220g 30cal bullet doing around 2200 - 2500fps works well (2400 -2500 for the lighter bullets and down as low as 2200 for the 220gr bullets). This equates to .308Win - 300WM. However there is a lot to be said for bigger calibres with relatively low V0 for this type of application - like the 9.3 x 62, which is possibly the best all round bush calibre.
In the desert you want something that flies well and has high retained energy. 7mm Rem Mag and 300WM are very popular for that application.
My own choice is a 338WM. For long range applications I use 180-200gr fairly frangible bullets loaded to around 3000fps. For the bush I go o 250 or 275gr bullets of strong construction. These are loaded to between 2400fps (275gr) and 2600fps (250gr).

That having been said, Kudu are thin skinned not very "tough". Hence they are regularly taken with lesser calibres like the .270, 6.5x55 and even .243; however this is not really advisable as the margin for error is not as great as is it with a heavier calibre.

Ergo Bob Nelson's and my penchant for the .35 "W". Right Bob? ; )

Just buy a 375 and get over it its simply the best there is no such thing as overpowered on any game animal underpowered yes! Overpowered NO!

My best always.
I've never quite been clear on the idea of being "over gunned". Is that the same as "over dead" ? It seems to me that as hunters we have a responsibility to use weapons that are certain to bring a quick, humane kill without relying on head or high neck shots. I have a 7-08 and I love it for deer, but I'm not taking it when I go back to Africa. A .243? Good coyote rifle.

You can’t be over gunned since the animal can’t be over dead.....got it use it, as Ruark says “Use enough Gun”.

But you can use the wrong bullet in a large cartridge. Imo a heavy controlled expansion bullets in say a 338 win mag is too much bullet. You are better off using a heavy cup/core in that case or a lighter bonded. You don't want to just poke a.338 hole through a midsize animal

This has been beat to death for nearly a decade, but I can't resist!

1. Stay within the local laws
2. Match the bullet to the expected impact velocities and the game in question
3. Consider not just the ideal shot, but the most difficult shot you think you are likely to take
4. Practice at the ranges you are willing to shoot, under field conditions - and limit your shots to within your capabilities once actually in the field

My massive Kudu experience of two says for me, a premium 165 or 180gr from a 300 H&H is perfection! :)

Works on Eland, too. That's the exit on the right shoulder. 180TTSX.

Tim Arbeiter_Eland (7).JPG

Just curious. What's the downside of the ELD-X? Never used them. Just wondered.

I'm planning to have custom-loaded ammo from Hendershots of Maryland. Options for loading a plethora of cartridges include Barnes, Berger, Hornady, Nosler and Swift. Sometimes others are available as well.
ILCAPO
My experience is that the ELDX suffers from separations. I prefer a bullet that stays together.
I would choose nosler accubonds or Woodleigh bullets. If your budget allows the swifts are also great.
Bob

I've never quite been clear on the idea of being "over gunned". Is that the same as "over dead" ? It seems to me that as hunters we have a responsibility to use weapons that are certain to bring a quick, humane kill without relying on head or high neck shots. I have a 7-08 and I love it for deer, but I'm not taking it when I go back to Africa. A .243? Good coyote rifle.
Doug Hamilton
243 barrels make wonderful tomato stakes. Most useless caliber invented
Bob

The ELD-X bullets are designed for long range hunting and seem to be too soft for use in the bushveld. Real Kudu live in the thick bush, not those little scrawny ones in the E-Cape. ;)

I guess I would go with bullet construction over ballistic coefficients in the bush. I also prefer a bullet to exit on a broadside shot.

Having said that I have also bought some 143gr ELD-X and will be doing a hunt in the Free State taking long shots on Springbuck and Blesbuck. I will work out the fastest I can push this bullet with good accuracy for this particular scenario. I'm hoping I don't lose much edible meat when shooting into shoulders.
I think the ability to buck the wind is the main draw card. The availability of range finders has changed the plains hunt quite a bit.

I"m just old school, I stick with heavy for caliber bullets with partitions or bonded cores in any caliber

No. it's not the same. As some have written, you can kill an Elk or a Bull Moose with a .243 Winchester, but is it wise? No. Not wise at all. You may kill it outright, or you may wound it, have it run off and you never find it. It suffers, you get nothing. It's a lose-lose proposition. Now, what constitutes "enough" gun is the thing of debates. But the wise say, listen to your PH. Most I've read herein or spoken with at the outdoor show all tout the .30 calibers. Not the .30-30 Winchester, mind you, but .308 Winchester, .30-06 Springfield, any of the 300 magnums. etc. They also have no problem with the 7mm Rem Mag. And many say the 7mm-08 or 7 x 57 Mauser are great, IF you stay within their effective range and you are able to consistently put the bullet where it belongs.

When I described the 280 Remington, moreover the 280 Ackley Improved, to the last one the PHs I spoke with in Harrisburg were all in favor saying that would work great. They just advise to use the right bullet -- heavy for caliber types; 160 grain and up. They say the 140 and 150 grain bullets will work, if they're quality, but they favor the heavier options. For 7mm, 160 grain +. For the .308 or .30-06, 180 grains. Some push for 200 grains for the magnums. But some agree the magnums are a bit much for many people and they'd rather the person have a rifle they're more comfortable with.

Most hunters herein have written that their experience with Kudu is they're not overly tough animals; not like zebra or Gemsbok. However, I've read a few cases where someone used a .30-06, but had a chase on their hands. Usually imperfect shots, not in the breadbasket. This is kind of why, not having hunted Africa yet, but planning out a trip, I think I'm going to bring my .35 Whelen and a .30-06 or 280 AI.

ILCAPO
If'n you use a 35 Whelen everything is fine. Best caliber out no argument.
Bob

Thanks. When it comes to hunting, especially a trip to Africa, I am not going to skimp on cartridges. I'll go premium from a custom loader. There's Nosler custom (for Nosler bullets), Hornady (for Hornady bullets), then several custom providers that offer options. I found Hendershots, a sporting goods store up in Northern Maryland, near the PA border, which does custom reloading. For those who aren't looking to bring personal reloads, look them up; they ship. Hendershots Extreme Ammo. They offer an abundancy of reload options, in terms of cartridges and then bullets for each cartridge. With all that's on their website, I was told they do more than that, just ask.

They options, and for each cartridge offer their recommendations from their experience. These guys have hunted Africa too. Learned from Limcroma, these guys run hunting trips with that outfitter fairly regularly.

For bullet options, they offer for most cartridges: Barnes, Berger, Hornady, Nosler, and Swift. Sometimes you'll see Woodleighs.

Doug Hamilton
243 barrels make wonderful tomato stakes. Most useless caliber invented
Bob

I prefer the little extra "umfph" you get from the 6mm Remington. Never understood why that round didn't become popular, other than apparently Remington's marketing team muffed the job, like they did with the 280 Remington.

As I've said before, I have a 6mm Rem, a .257 Roberts, 7 x 57 Mauser, and would like to get, for the fun of it, an 8 x 57 Mauser. Then I have a .25-06, am going to build a 280 AI, a .30-06, and a .35 Whelen. See the pattern here?

I just can't help it. I really like 1) traditional cartridges, versus magnums, especially the neuvo short kinds, and 2) I favor those derived from the 7 x 57 Mauser and .30-06. They shoot well, hit hard, for their size, and don't beat you to death with recoil.

I prefer the little extra "umfph" you get from the 6mm Remington. Never understood why that round didn't become popular, other than apparently Remington's marketing team muffed the job, like they did with the 280 Remington.

As I've said before, I have a 6mm Rem, a .257 Roberts, 7 x 57 Mauser, and would like to get, for the fun of it, an 8 x 57 Mauser. Then I have a .25-06, am going to build a 280 AI, a .30-06, and a .35 Whelen. See the pattern here?

I just can't help it. I really like 1) traditional cartridges, versus magnums, especially the neuvo short kinds, and 2) I favor those derived from the 7 x 57 Mauser and .30-06. They shoot well, hit hard, for their size, and don't beat you to death with recoil.

I had the .35 Whelen built for close/moderate range elk hunting, but never got back out west to hunt again. I'm planning on bringing it to Africa as my heavier piece for zebra and gemsbok. Not necessary, but being my first trip thought I'd bring plenty of gun for the bigger game. The other one will likely be the .30-06.

I had the .35 Whelen built for close/moderate range elk hunting, but never got back out west to hunt again. I'm planning on bringing it to Africa as my heavier piece for zebra and gemsbok. Not necessary, but being my first trip thought I'd bring plenty of gun for the bigger game. The other one will likely be the .30-06.
ILCAPO
Just load some 225grain accubonds with 60.5grains of Varget and go and shoot stuff. Mate sighted 2 inch high at 100yards spot on about 225 and 7 inches low at 300.
If you want to crack at 400 yards your around 23 inches low.
Cheers mate Bob

The ELD-X bullets are designed for long range hunting and seem to be too soft for use in the bushveld. Real Kudu live in the thick bush, not those little scrawny ones in the E-Cape. ;)

I guess I would go with bullet construction over ballistic coefficients in the bush. I also prefer a bullet to exit on a broadside shot.

Having said that I have also bought some 143gr ELD-X and will be doing a hunt in the Free State taking long shots on Springbuck and Blesbuck. I will work out the fastest I can push this bullet with good accuracy for this particular scenario. I'm hoping I don't lose much edible meat when shooting into shoulders.
I think the ability to buck the wind is the main draw card. The availability of range finders has changed the plains hunt quite a bit.

I"m just old school, I stick with heavy for caliber bullets with partitions or bonded cores in any caliber

Eld-X 143 gr in 6.5CR is perfect for springbok, impala and such. I used mine for one shot kills out to 286 yds last year.

Eld-X 143 gr in 6.5CR is perfect for springbok, impala and such. I used mine for one shot kills out to 286 yds last year.

Just spoke to my gunsmith and asked about his experience in building 6.5 x 284 Normas. He's done quite a few and he's very impressed with it. Most were competition rifles, and some of his have won championships here on the east cost. But he said the last couple were for hunting and it makes a fine hunting round as well. I'm seriously thinking of using my FN action to build a custom rifle in this chambering.

Looking over the round performance compared to what I have it appears to 'plug a hole' between my .25s and .30-06s.

Just spoke to my gunsmith and asked about his experience in building 6.5 x 284 Normas. He's done quite a few and he's very impressed with it. Most were competition rifles, and some of his have won championships here on the east cost. But he said the last couple were for hunting and it makes a fine hunting round as well. I'm seriously thinking of using my FN action to build a custom rifle in this chambering.

Looking over the round performance compared to what I have it appears to 'plug a hole' between my .25s and .30-06s.

You will like the 6.5-284, great cartridge. I have one in a benchrest rifle, savage model 12, for match shooting, and liked the cartridge so much l found a used savage model 116 with a #3 barrel. Have taken Antelope, Mule deer, coyotes, and PD's. With the 143 ELD-X. A friend has taken elk using 140 grain partitions.

ILCAPO
What's wrong with the 7mmX284 ,make an ideal rifle on a long action.
Cheers mate Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!