Krieghoff classic or chapuis x4?

Steroberts

Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa, uk
Wanting to buy my first double in 9.3x74r and have narrowed it down to these two. Have £5k as a really top end of the budget.

I can get the chapuis with ejectors for under budget and it does come with nice engraving and wood. The krieghoff is about the same but with extractors. Are ejectors that big of a deal ? At best I’m going to shoot a buffalo cow in a couple of years so it’s main purpose in life will be deer in the uk and plains game in South Africa.

I know both can be regulated at home for new ammo which is a bonus, is this difficult to do with either ?
Any feedback or opinions would be appreciated, I am leaning towards the krieghoff as I do like the look of them as well as the de cocker is a major bonus. I would go bigger but can’t afford the extra for the safari versions.
Many thanks Steve

Welcome Steve,

Just curious, have you got the rifle and calibre cleared for use in the UK?

I can't get my Mauser .375H&H and .300WinMag cleared for use in the UK because I already have deer legal calibres in the .243 and 30-06.

I just got my renewal back and I asked for them to be cleared this time and it was declined.

It would be a shame to fork out on a double that can't be used in the UK.

That said, ejectors are handy but I'm also a sucker for nice wood and engraving.

It's personal choice of what you want to see propped up against your Buffalo.....

Welcome Steve,

Just curious, have you got the rifle and calibre cleared for use in the UK?

I can't get my Mauser .375H&H and .300WinMag cleared for use in the UK because I already have deer legal calibres in the .243 and 30-06.

I just got my renewal back and I asked for them to be cleared this time and it was declined.

It would be a shame to fork out on a double that can't be used in the UK.

That said, ejectors are handy but I'm also a sucker for nice wood and engraving.

It's personal choice of what you want to see propped up against your Buffalo.....
Yes I can’t see a problem, I did have 375 h&h cleared for any lawful quarry so the 9.3 shouldn’t be a problem. I would have to take one off but I’ve a sako 75 coming to the end of its life !

Which county are you with out of interest ? Lancashire gave me open tickets on 300wm at 19, although I have moved further up north and they are a bit stricter on what they give.

I do like the engraving on the chapuis and the wood is smart, but I am far from careful with my rifles so I doubt it would be smart for long I think the ejectors are 1000-1500 extra on the krieghoff.

If it was your money what would you go for ?

I have posted on here several times about how much I like my Chapuis 375 H&H double. Very sweet shooting rifle.
I don't have any experience with Kreigoff other than just handling one at a gun show.

The one with the most positive lockup. I think the Krieghoff has a cross bolt, but really not sure. Functionality first, aesthetics second. Can you stretch to a Heym? It has everything.

Yes I can’t see a problem, I did have 375 h&h cleared for any lawful quarry so the 9.3 shouldn’t be a problem. I would have to take one off but I’ve a sako 75 coming to the end of its life !

Which county are you with out of interest ? Lancashire gave me open tickets on 300wm at 19, although I have moved further up north and they are a bit stricter on what they give.

I do like the engraving on the chapuis and the wood is smart, but I am far from careful with my rifles so I doubt it would be smart for long I think the ejectors are 1000-1500 extra on the krieghoff.

If it was your money what would you go for ?
I'm with Avon and Somerset. When I applied for the variation for the 375 and 300WinMag I gave good reason as hunting in Africa and they asked for proof I was going which I supplied and the variation came back with the condition I can only use the calibres abroad.

Fast forward to 2020 and my renewal was due so I sent it off with a request that the above calibres be opened up for use in the UK because I want to be used to them in the field, be competent in their handling before a dangerous game situation etc etc....

And it was refused.....

Anyway, if it was my money, I would lean towards the Krieghoff with ejectors but obviously fit and how you feel handling them is most important.

The one with the most positive lockup. I think the Krieghoff has a cross bolt, but really not sure. Functionality first, aesthetics second. Can you stretch to a Heym? It has everything.
Unfortunately not, think the base model is about £8k+ which is a bit more than I can stretch to !! I still need to save up for Africa every other year as well. Not sure about the lock up on either to be honest I’ll have a look into that.

I'm with Avon and Somerset. When I applied for the variation for the 375 and 300WinMag I gave good reason as hunting in Africa and they asked for proof I was going which I supplied and the variation came back with the condition I can only use the calibres abroad.

Fast forward to 2020 and my renewal was due so I sent it off with a request that the above calibres be opened up for use in the UK because I want to be used to them in the field, be competent in their handling before a dangerous game situation etc etc....

And it was refused.....

Anyway, if it was my money, I would lean towards the Krieghoff with ejectors but obviously fit and how you feel handling them is most important
That is very strange ? I had a 6mm and 7mm on my tickets when I applied for it, got a phone call from the firearms department and they were happy to give me it on open ticket for any lawful quarry. Although they did say if I could use another rifle for deer instead of the 375 they would appreciate it.

I am leaning towards the krieghoff myself as well, I think the de cocker is going to be a big plus point. I’ve had a look through the options and they also add a recoil reducer in the stock for about £300 so looking at £6k give or take.

I have no experience with the adjustable regulation of either so can't comment on how easy, hard or how well it stays on the adjustments once made.

I have a Chapuis RGEX in 9.3 and it is my favorite mid bore. My Krieghoff is a big 5 500/416 and the decoker is a very nice option and one of the safest double to carry.

Have shot both ejector and extractors and with practice both and be reloaded quickly, you just have to practice the manual of arms for each till it is second nature.

That K-Gun is a great rifle.

I have no experience with either gun. I do have experience with extractors on my Parker shotgun. Ejectors are the better choice, you can alway pick up the brass later.

No, Chapuis available with ejectors?

Between those two Krieghoff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SavannahDo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg