Knives - Why?

As I read the EDC of some people I thought I would list my fathers.
Cell phone
Pocket knife. (Dull as crap with broken tip that doubles as a screwdriver)
8 foot tape measure
(2) 1/2- 9/16 boxed end wrenches
10mm combination wrench
7/16 combination wrench
8” slip joint pliers on his right hip

Yes, he is a farmer.

Yes, things where much different when I was young. In 1980 during my 10th grade year I had to do a demonstration speech so I reviewed my topic and plan with the High School Principle and he said it was a good idea and asked me to proceed. When the day came for my speech I brought my cased Model 94 Winchester in 32 Win Special on the bus to school, stored it in my locker and gave a rousing demonstration speech on the care and cleaning of a lever action rifle. After school I road the bus home with my cased rifle, the only thing the bus driver asked was "How did my speech go". I can't imagine what would happen if I did that today.
@Art Lambart II
Oh how times have changed and not necessarily for the better. In a similar vain if us kids were getting attacked by a magpie (a type of bird) the local cop came out and shot it. Now you would need an environmental impact study and grief and trauma counsellors on hand for the kids and parents.
Unfortunately due to shit laws in OZ nowdays we can't carry a knife in case it offends someone as it's a lethal weapon.
I took a Svord drop point Skinner to Namibia and left it with my PH as he used it to almost completely skin and dress a giraffe and was impressed with it. It was a great gift for him.
Bob

Interesting, I felt we we’re not encouraged to be to friendly toward staff tracker, maid . I do understand that money burns a hole in their pocket or in some cases alcohol is an issue and they don’t need trinkets. Tips subsidise income but they need to know the client appreciates them.
I found my tracker was pleasant and willing to work. I made my wishes know never regarding tips using. Breakdown I found here. My PH got the lions share but I told my outfitter to look after the tracker, i said he is likeable and guests will tend to like him. All of the staff were good, the skinners seemed a little surprised when I went over for a chat, I also wanted them in a photo, there are part of the experience.
My tracker came across early each day and was clean, shiny shoes with the sole coming off. He didn’t understand the word buggered when I said his shoes were buggered in the sense of stuffed, broken etc. Having had a sever sprain ankle injury previously myself, it worried me but it’s not like we could take him to town to get a new pair. A hundred bucks may have gone a long way there but then you don’t want to favour one causing tension among the ranks either.
I did make it known to the PH they are lucky the people work. Our welfare system is to good because we won’t get people to work so hard for so little!
We all have different cultures and this is my only international experience.
@CBH
Chris I always made sure the trackers and drivers were in my photos as well as th PH. They thought it was great and we would have a talk each morning. The same with other staff. Our cook was amazed that I cooked one night and I also made sure her and her helper were included. Our cook Monica got a great thrill out of it.she thought it was wonderful.
Bob

Just like carrying your own rifle, a knife on the hip is a satisfying thing. Sure, a pocket knife will do, but a modest sheath knife is so African Safari. I use mine a lot for odd things, especially in camp. One of the most satisfying things to do in idle moments is make guzzi tambo (spelling?), or bark string. Cut a thinnish branch, with your knife strip off a swathe of bark about half an inch wide by as long as you can get it. Peel the tough skin in a long strip from the inner side, discard the bark. Split the skin in half, and half again. Take two strips and commence rolling them to intertwine. Roll into a hoop, put in your pocket and I bet you find a use for it several times over.

I carry a Leatherman Surge along with the inch / metric bit set. I've never had to use the knife to dress game on safari, but the have used the tools more times than I can count. Most of the time, to repair someone else's gear.

The jewelry screwdriver came in handy to repair my glasses once!

I may not be able to carry a knife legally in the big smoke, but when I go bush, or fishing, I carry a blade, as you never know when you may be forced to use it. Thankfully I have only needed to use mine for the basics that a fishing and hunting knife are for.

Australia may be a safer country than the African nations, but I have still experienced some hair raising moments that a knife may have helped me out.

1) I had just pitched a little two man synthetic tent on my mates farm in the cow paddock, and went for a chat around 50 yards away. Would you believe it, a mob of cattle decided to get all frisky and charged over the tent, which thankfully I was not in. If I had been in the tent, a knife may have assisted in dragging my crushed body out. I have also encountered drugged out idiots driving into camp in remote areas, So I have learnt to park my car in front of my tent for similar reasons.

2) I have had a couple of friends camping legally in the middle of huge outback properties, the nearest towns being over a 100 kilometres away, when out of the blue they have been assaulted by intruders going on walk-about, whom appeared to be attracted by the firelight of their camps. Thankfully my friends were not murdered, as it came pretty close. The local police cannot help you there, well not till the case gets reported.

Actually now that I think about it, I know a lot more instances, from other friends whom got out of a bad situation before it could worsen.

3) Encountering menacing packs of dogs while fishing remote streams, a friend thankfully escaped this issue. I have been also attacked by an aggressive German Sheppard and a Rottweiler as backup in suburbia whilst walking home from a bus stop after dark, thankfully a tree picket saved me, and I called there bluff. If it was a little old lady, or a child, they would have been severely mauled. A knife would have given me a little more support.

4) A friend and I were forcefully making our own track through thick rainforest country in order to obtain access to isolated fishing spots for Freshwater Blackfish. At one stage we decided to cross a huge slippery moss covered log over the creek. the log was old and about 4 feet thick around. After walking carefully to the middle of the log, the rotten wood beneath my right foot gave way, my right leg went fully inside the hollow log, all the way up to my groin, and I was unable to pull myself out. Thankfully my friend managed to awkwardly pull me out to safety. Usually I would hike these streams by myself, and a knife would have been useful to chip my way out, or I would never be found.

Besides all the above, I live in a really bad suburb, and you just never know when a break in will occur, so I always sleep with a hidden blade nearby as a comfort blanket. Purely to scare the criminals only. Bluffing them is a big factor in my area, anything else is intent, and even if a criminal uses a weapon on you, they are always released as defending themselves, but meanwhile the innocent victims are charged with murder as the knife was intentionally hidden for your defence.

That's why I purchased an electric cattle prod, I just gotta remember to buy some decent batteries, that will scare the crims off.

Regards

Rob

I may not be able to carry a knife legally in the big smoke, but when I go bush, or fishing, I carry a blad

That's why I purchased an electric cattle prod, I just gotta remember to buy some decent batteries, that will scare the crims off.

Regards

Rob

Rob, Now you sound like a decent bloke, so be careful as if you use a cattle prod they will use the "W" word. i don't like that word as i dont own any weapons. There are some weapons out there who own weapons but it is not a weapon unless i hit you on the head with it. and i don't hit people on the head with chairs or other objects so , mmm, no problem.
If you mistake a battery operated device for a flashlight and they find it offensive they should not have been on your property.

Rob, Now you sound like a decent bloke, so be careful as if you use a cattle prod they will use the "W" word. i don't like that word as i dont own any weapons. There are some weapons out there who own weapons but it is not a weapon unless i hit you on the head with it. and i don't hit people on the head with chairs or other objects so , mmm, no problem.
If you mistake a battery operated device for a flashlight and they find it offensive they should not have been on your property.

G'day CBH,

Thank you for reminding me, and it is sound advise that you have provided, I have to be so careful wording things on the internet. Your response has provided a well needed chuckle, so thank you for that too :)(y)

Regards
Rob

I may not be able to carry a knife legally in the big smoke, but when I go bush, or fishing, I carry a blade, as you never know when you may be forced to use it. Thankfully I have only needed to use mine for the basics that a fishing and hunting knife are for.

Australia may be a safer country than the African nations, but I have still experienced some hair raising moments that a knife may have helped me out.

1) I had just pitched a little two man synthetic tent on my mates farm in the cow paddock, and went for a chat around 50 yards away. Would you believe it, a mob of cattle decided to get all frisky and charged over the tent, which thankfully I was not in. If I had been in the tent, a knife may have assisted in dragging my crushed body out. I have also encountered drugged out idiots driving into camp in remote areas, So I have learnt to park my car in front of my tent for similar reasons.

2) I have had a couple of friends camping legally in the middle of huge outback properties, the nearest towns being over a 100 kilometres away, when out of the blue they have been assaulted by intruders going on walk-about, whom appeared to be attracted by the firelight of their camps. Thankfully my friends were not murdered, as it came pretty close. The local police cannot help you there, well not till the case gets reported.

Actually now that I think about it, I know a lot more instances, from other friends whom got out of a bad situation before it could worsen.

3) Encountering menacing packs of dogs while fishing remote streams, a friend thankfully escaped this issue. I have been also attacked by an aggressive German Sheppard and a Rottweiler as backup in suburbia whilst walking home from a bus stop after dark, thankfully a tree picket saved me, and I called there bluff. If it was a little old lady, or a child, they would have been severely mauled. A knife would have given me a little more support.

4) A friend and I were forcefully making our own track through thick rainforest country in order to obtain access to isolated fishing spots for Freshwater Blackfish. At one stage we decided to cross a huge slippery moss covered log over the creek. the log was old and about 4 feet thick around. After walking carefully to the middle of the log, the rotten wood beneath my right foot gave way, my right leg went fully inside the hollow log, all the way up to my groin, and I was unable to pull myself out. Thankfully my friend managed to awkwardly pull me out to safety. Usually I would hike these streams by myself, and a knife would have been useful to chip my way out, or I would never be found.

Besides all the above, I live in a really bad suburb, and you just never know when a break in will occur, so I always sleep with a hidden blade nearby as a comfort blanket. Purely to scare the criminals only. Bluffing them is a big factor in my area, anything else is intent, and even if a criminal uses a weapon on you, they are always released as defending themselves, but meanwhile the innocent victims are charged with murder as the knife was intentionally hidden for your defence.

Regards

Rob
@Dinosaur
Rob what suburb do you live in. I don't know of any areas in OZ like that but then again at 6 and a half feet and 115 kilos I don't have may problems
Bob

For everyday use in Zimbabwe I carry a Victorinox Swiss Army knife. I believe the model is the Jaeger (I could be wrong about the model name), among its features it has a locking knife blade, saw, gut hook, bottle opener. While doing a hunt a von gruff knife will be on my belt. My wife carries a leatherman and a von gruff hunter skinner. What do are skinners and trackers use? It is usually some homemade or cheap kitchen knife. Why? Any good knife that they are given, usually gets sold!

I have been lucky to hunt is SA for many years. And only ever carry a leatherman and a folding knife. And I have never needed to use them.
No PH will ever let you touch a cape
But I must say I also have a collection of knives that I have purchase, believing I would need to use.

I've heard this argument posed by a number of people.

Exchange knife for binoculars. For first aid kit. For GPS locator, texter, or SAT phone. An emergency antivenom hotline and list of emergency preparations. A basic multi-tool for basic gunsmithing. A cleaning kit. A backup rifle. A water filter cup. A shemagh or handkerchief.

The answer to all of the above is you might be fine without any of it. You're putting your life and limb in the hands of another person solely, the PH/Operator. Its a viewpoint. If you believe you're going to arrive and the PH has it all covered you might be right.

But consider this: You probably have 20x to 500x the financial resources of your PH. It's your life, not his. He or she cannot afford the things you can.

I use my safari knife on every single hunt. Either I'm cutting a piece of biltong, or busting a tiny lock that rusted and needs to be released to get at the spare tire. Or i'm removing a giant thorn. Or I'm cutting up a shemagh for a tourniquet or makeshift bandaid. Or making toiletpaper out of cloth. (yep...not fun to have the runs).

The common theme on a safari is finding an unforseen problem while 10 people look at each other asking who packed X to save the day? (answer is always: its broken or we left it at camp)

At lunch in the butch, the knife is used daily as you share your portion with some of the guys, or you split a spare sandwich, or you cut an apple, or whatever. Or your hunt goes long and you decide you best gut that animal on the truck as its starting to bloat. Or you want to hand the steaks to the cook the second you get to camp for dinner. Or you need to cut the tail from an elephant signifying its a legally killed animal and we'll be back to claim it with the crew in an hour.

Good boots. Binoculars. Two guns. Two pairs of boots. A sharp knife. First aid kit. A shemagh. And two sets of shorts/shirts/socks/underwear are sort of the non-negotiables for me to hunt. Much more is handy, but I can be sure I have one of all the above on my person at every moment of a hunt.

For everyday use in Zimbabwe I carry a Victorinox Swiss Army knife. I believe the model is the Jaeger (I could be wrong about the model name), among its features it has a locking knife blade, saw, gut hook, bottle opener. While doing a hunt a von gruff knife will be on my belt. My wife carries a leatherman and a von gruff hunter skinner. What do are skinners and trackers use? It is usually some homemade or cheap kitchen knife. Why? Any good knife that they are given, usually gets sold!

@Tokoloshe Safaris you, your spouse, and your professional hunters are the exception to the rule. Your team is always prepared, has good stuff, spares for good stuff, and many contingency plans. How many operators bring $300,000 in vehicles for a hunt? You'd have to break four trucks to ruin a hunt? Talk about ready to operate! Generators? Backup Generators? Backup coolers? Backup beers? Backup cocktails? Backup ice? Hell, your camp in the middle of nowhere has better power, linens, and lighting than most upper middle-class Africans experience in capital cities!

The average operation has next to nothing.

I do like your Victorinox Jaeger knife...very handy for all the odd jobs. I think we used it together 3-4 times in our travels? Case and point that a good sharp knife or multi-tool is invaluable.

Simple question - for a guest on safari, is there any reason to bring anything more than pocket knife on a hunting trip to Africa?
Not really

Do you need more than a pocket knife on safari? Well, how involved in your safari do you want to be? You will never be allowed to cape or prep your trophies but what about animals for bait, blind building, collecting firewood for your bush lunch, you don't have to do any of those things or any other of the bush tasks that come up but if chose to you should have the right tool for the task. In most cases that means a dependable fixed blade knife. If you don't want to entrust your prized Von Gruff to the airlines then buy a Mora Companion HD (they are less than $20) and will do everything you need a knife to do while on safari. Personally I take my Von Gruff on all my hunting trips its a superior tool and a great piece of kit to use and carry.

I forgot a reason for a sheath knife at the ready, this situation arose so rapidly and could have been really nasty. We were on the Kariba International Tiger Fishing Competition, an annual event that hasn't been missed in 30 years. I was on the boat with my brother Keith and at that stage he swore by braid fishing line, 10kg. As happens he snagged and took the line around his right wrist to give it a good tug. Well, up came the breeze and the next thing i see him arm outstretched, shuffling towards the back to ease pressure. So i am on the nose, realised the gravity of the situation and dashed back there, and in one fluid swipe of my side knife parted the line just as it bit in. I hate to think what an extra second or two fumbling with opening a pocket knife would have resulted in. Enough to say braid was duly banned on our boat, its like a garotte.

Fat fingers, IPad and this Bloody site where I keep checking back to see what I’ve missed.
I’ve missed my calling, I wanted to be one of the great hunters.

Don’t really know a Tom anyway

What about dick and harry.....going to try denying knowing them as well?....:A Banana::E Big Grin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelitaAu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,