Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
Hi all, some of you may know about kitft, which this year is being held on the 26th, 27th and 28th of October. This year marks the beginning of this comp being 100% catch and release, so it ticks all the boxes. The quarry is the spectacular tiger fish, pound for pound one of the finest game fish in the world. Usual fising methods are artificial lures via bass type kit, or fly fishing.
if you are going to be in this part of the world for a hunt, why not combine it with kitft? If you catch one over 5kg during the comp you will also be well set up to run for the real challenge of a 5kg tiger at kitft, a stag in the Scottish Highlands, an English pheasant and a Cape buffalo bull. In our little Carruthers club that earns one a gold embroidered tie, you can create your own trophy, or if you get all four we will induct you into Carruthers!

Fun Kevin, too bad I won’t be there this year, but maybe 2024.

Fun Kevin, too bad I won’t be there this year, but maybe 2024.
Sure, it will still be there next year. There are a few outfitters catering for overseas kitft competitors now, a team is four, but you can enter as two. Two of you and your PH as the guide/driver would be awesome. Most of the Zim PH's are great tiger fishermen too. Be warned though, it is a tough comp, long days in the heat.

How are the sizes of the fish in Kariba. Was at Cahorra Bassa a few years ago and five kilos was the largest caught. most were one to two kilos. From what I saw, the synthetic gill nets are not helping with reproduction.

The majority of catches are in the 1-2 kg range, 5-6 kg are hard to get, and 10 and above very rare. Yes, the nets are a nightmare, but there is a concerted effort now to curb poaching and it is having an effect at last. We are now seeing far more fry and young fish that will reinforce the larger population in a year or two. Kitft is important because it focuses attention and brings in money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErrolKish0

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.