Just cleaned a rifle

John J

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
I been with this new lady since the beginning of the year. I finally got ahold of her rifle, Ruger M77 MKII....in 30 06! I knew something about her was cool. It has a BSA scope that fogs, but it was all she could afford at the time 14 years ago. I told her we would get a new one soon. The rifle had some surface rust then she told me the back story. She is a lefty and there wasn't any lefty rifles where she lived in ID. She walked into the pawn shop and bought it directly from guy who was there selling it at the same time. She went on to kill a few deer and elk with it and she loved the rifle. Then she went on to tell me about a jealous A hole she was with. He packed the barrel and action full of mud and dirt because "she got the animal" and he didn't. I don't know where some of the people in this world come from. How that would ever cross someone's mind to trash a rifle of a successful hunter, and being in a "relationship " with the same person is beyond me. She cleaned the rifle after that and at some point dumped the looser. It has sat in a gun case for a few years. I took it apart a few weeks ago and gave it a quick once over. Tonight I gave it a nice good cleaning, found a chunk of dirt in the floor plate release. She's almost ready to hunt. Needs a trip to th local smith, the bolt release does not return the way it should. We are going to get a trigger job and a recoil pad installed. Then get her out to put a few rounds down range, this rifle needs to get back to business!
20210714_235955.jpg

She sounds like a keeper. Now as to he surface rust, is it all gone? IF not try using KROIL on a piece of 0000 steel wool. This combination has worked well for me in the past. To clean up a dark bore I wrap 0000 steel wool around a phosphor bronze brush and douse it liberally with KROIL.

She sounds like a keeper. Now as to he surface rust, is it all gone? IF not try using KROIL on a piece of 0000 steel wool. This combination has worked well for me in the past. To clean up a dark bore I wrap 0000 steel wool around a phosphor bronze brush and douse it liberally with KROIL.
I'll definitely give that a try. Thanks fellers, she don't complain about a thing gun or hunting related! Makes her so so cooking much easier to deal with

I been with this new lady since the beginning of the year. I finally got ahold of her rifle, Ruger M77 MKII....in 30 06! I knew something about her was cool. It has a BSA scope that fogs, but it was all she could afford at the time 14 years ago. I told her we would get a new one soon. The rifle had some surface rust then she told me the back story. She is a lefty and there wasn't any lefty rifles where she lived in ID. She walked into the pawn shop and bought it directly from guy who was there selling it at the same time. She went on to kill a few deer and elk with it and she loved the rifle. Then she went on to tell me about a jealous A hole she was with. He packed the barrel and action full of mud and dirt because "she got the animal" and he didn't. I don't know where some of the people in this world come from. How that would ever cross someone's mind to trash a rifle of a successful hunter, and being in a "relationship " with the same person is beyond me. She cleaned the rifle after that and at some point dumped the looser. It has sat in a gun case for a few years. I took it apart a few weeks ago and gave it a quick once over. Tonight I gave it a nice good cleaning, found a chunk of dirt in the floor plate release. She's almost ready to hunt. Needs a trip to th local smith, the bolt release does not return the way it should. We are going to get a trigger job and a recoil pad installed. Then get her out to put a few rounds down range, this rifle needs to get back to business! View attachment 412781
@John J
Some people are just born arseholes, glad she is rid of him and hope you enjoy many hours together hunting. Hopefully that lovely Ruger still shoots well and she gets more game with it.
Bob

I'll definitely give that a try. Thanks fellers, she don't complain about a thing gun or hunting related! Makes her so so cooking much easier to deal with
Hope she's not on here or you are going to be taking her out to eat a lot!

@Shootist43
Art brass wool works better than steel wool and doesn't harm the bluing as much.
Bob

@John J
Just don't by her a game cookbook or you may be eating soft food for a while.
Bob

Hope she's not on here or you are going to be taking her out to eat a lot!
Haha no she isn't on here. Just picked up Kroil today. I'll look for some brass and 0000 steel wool and see what happens. I told he shoot the barrel out and don't worry about the rust, we'll get her a new one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg