Juneteenth??

With a user-name such as Saul, I'd guess you are of Semitic persuasion.

I think the problem with the TR statue was that it had an Indian and possibly a slave in subservient positions next to him. This does not exactly represent the great man that was TR. I think it would be better if they replaced it with a statue of him either storming up San Juan Hill or hunting.

That is a far more rational argument, and one worth debating..

The problem is no one is talking about replacing or what is or is not more suitable..

Despite the city of New York conducting investigations, having discussions, and making determinations specifically about this statue.. starting in 1999 all the way through 2019 when the museum of natural history itself put up placards and information about the statue telling people its history, the stated intent of the sculptor, its connection to NYC, and the majority of people agreeing that the statue DOES NOT represent anything wrong, improper, etc..

Here we are in 2020, just six months later, determining that a statue that was erected in 1940 (80 years ag0) that New Yorkers themselves have acknowledged over and over and over again WAS NOT created with any white supremacy intent and is not meant to represent white supremacy.. is NOW bad... because a minority of people are offended by what they believe as opposed to what the facts that have been unveiled by 20 years of discussions, investigations, etc say...

DeBlasio himself (an avowed hard left winger, who is married to a black woman, and has a bi-racial child, that is well known to be very sensitive to race issues) ruled after participating in an investigation of the statue (and many others in NYC) in 2018 that the statue was "open to many interpretations and recommended no action be taken because no evidence supported what had been alleged about its connection to white supremacy..

But.. lets tear it down now.. because.. Black Lives Matter.. .

Pretty ridiculous..

But wouldn't San Juan Hill represent American imperialism and heaven forbid the murdering of innocent animals, both sure to offend someone.

As a side note, the Emancipation Proclamation became effective on January 1, 1863 but only applied to the Confederate States. Slavery was legal in the United States until December 1865.

While I am on a history kick, perhaps some of our British members could comment. I am under the impression that Great Britian ended slavery by purchasing their existing slaves and then freeing them. If true, a much better solution. I also think I remember reading that Lincoln considered such a solution but was not allowed to proceed.

I am not religious, and I am certainly not Christian, but I fail to see the logic in this argument. Would a deity not be able to appear to different groups in different ways? Why must he only look arab?

Ill take that one a step further..

That article claims the common depiction of Jesus is of a white european....

What exactly does a white european look like? Are we talking blue eyed, blonde haired norsemen? or perhaps darker skinned, darker haired spaniards? or are we talking middle ground frenchmen that might have dark hair but paler features?

The common depiction of Jesus that I am familiar with looks quite a bit like a lot of people I know that hail from... wait for it.... the middle east!

Light olive skin, angular facial features, medium brown hair, brown eyes...

I dont know how many "white europeans" Shaun King knows... but its pretty clear Shaun doesnt know a lot of palestinians, jordanians, lebanese, syrians, or israelis..

Jesus%2BChrist%2B940871955_c6217563a4_o.jpg

what-would-jesus-do-messages-of-christ.jpg

_87356796_jesustopthinkstock.jpg

have there been some clearly "white" depictions of Jesus... sure...

There have also been clearly "black" depictions...

black-jesus-scafa2.jpg

forgive-them-father-alix-beaujour.jpg

Just more ridiculousness....

Attachments

• _87356796_jesustopthinkstock.jpg
    _87356796_jesustopthinkstock.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 71
  • black-jesus-scafa2.jpg
    black-jesus-scafa2.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 70
  • forgive-them-father-alix-beaujour.jpg
    forgive-them-father-alix-beaujour.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 62
  • Jesus Christ 940871955_c6217563a4_o.jpg
    Jesus Christ 940871955_c6217563a4_o.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 62
  • what-would-jesus-do-messages-of-christ.jpg
    what-would-jesus-do-messages-of-christ.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 93
Last edited by a moderator:
With a user-name such as Saul, I'd guess you are of Semitic persuasion.

You would be correct.

That is a far more rational argument, and one worth debating..

The problem is no one is talking about replacing or what is or is not more suitable..

Despite the city of New York conducting investigations, having discussions, and making determinations specifically about this statue.. starting in 1999 all the way through 2019 when the museum of natural history itself put up placards and information about the statue telling people its history, the stated intent of the sculptor, its connection to NYC, and the majority of people agreeing that the statue DOES NOT represent anything wrong, improper, etc..

Here we are in 2020, just six months later, determining that a statue that was erected in 1940 (80 years ag0) that New Yorkers themselves have acknowledged over and over and over again WAS NOT created with any white supremacy intent and is not meant to represent white supremacy.. is NOW bad... because a minority of people are offended by what they believe as opposed to what the facts that have been unveiled by 20 years of discussions, investigations, etc say...

DeBlasio himself (an avowed hard left winger, who is married to a black woman, and has a bi-racial child, that is well known to be very sensitive to race issues) ruled after participating in an investigation of the statue (and many others in NYC) in 2018 that the statue was "open to many interpretations and recommended no action be taken because no evidence supported what had been alleged about its connection to white supremacy..

But.. lets tear it down now.. because.. Black Lives Matter.. .

Pretty ridiculous..

Could not agree more.

But wouldn't San Juan Hill represent American imperialism and heaven forbid the murdering of innocent animals, both sure to offend someone.

As a side note, the Emancipation Proclamation became effective on January 1, 1863 but only applied to the Confederate States. Slavery was legal in the United States until December 1865.

While I am on a history kick, perhaps some of our British members could comment. I am under the impression that Great Britian ended slavery by purchasing their existing slaves and then freeing them. If true, a much better solution. I also think I remember reading that Lincoln considered such a solution but was not allowed to proceed.

With some people, logical discussion fails. Like running into a brick wall over and over again, it will only result in a headache and at least one bloody nose.

At what point is there nothing that offends? We have become a nation of pussies, girly men and asswipes. If the U.S. ever had to fight another World War Two and depend on these same milquetoasts stepping up to do the job, we'd lose. And that goes for the military hierarchy too. Many of them have fallen in to the same mold.

I am finding more and more that logical and illogical seem to be a matter of interpretation.
I have a friend that subscribes to the "Vote Blue No Matter Who" form of logic. Probably not the best way to spend his vote but his choice. I doubt any sort of logical (to me) discussion will change his mind. He does have a severe case of TDS.

I am finding more and more that logical and illogical seem to be a matter of interpretation.
I have a friend that subscribes to the "Vote Blue No Matter Who" form of logic. Probably not the best way to spend his vote but his choice. I doubt any sort of logical (to me) discussion will change his mind. He does have a severe case of TDS.
It is no different from vote Republican no matter who logic. Tribal politics on both sides. Bad for everyone.

Actually it is. "Vote Republican, etc" doesn't rhyme and isn't as cute.

@Saul, I agree. We had a moderate U.S. Republican representative, Mike Castle, in Delaware. He was ousted in a primary to fill Biden's seat when Biden resigned to become VP, by the far right female candidate that had zero chance of winning. She was beaten by Chris Coons (backed by the W.L Gore family of Goretex fame) another left leaning politician. Our representative now is a young, inexperience, colored woman who with my correspondence with her, is nothing but a rubber stamp for the Pelosi doctrine of governing. So much for political moderation and a balance in governing.

@Saul, I agree. We had a moderate U.S. Republican representative, Mike Castle, in Delaware. He was ousted in a primary to fill Biden's seat when Biden resigned to become VP, by the far right female candidate that had zero chance of winning. She was beaten by Chris Coons (backed by the W.L Gore family of Goretex fame) another left leaning politician. Our representative now is a young, inexperience, colored woman who with my correspondence with her, is nothing but a rubber stamp for the Pelosi doctrine of governing. So much for political moderation and a balance in governing.
A perfect example. I think that government works best FOR THE PEOPLE when we have the full spectrum of political ideologies represented in Congress. If we do not hear all voices and learn to compromise, the government will only end up ever serving a small segment of the population.

Of course there Mayor Richard J Daley's oft quoted line: "Vote Early and Often", (but always for a Demonrat)

I suspect the Dems will have a very large graveyard turnout, especially if the deceased can vote by mail.

SOC101 is what us engineering majors took for an easy "A" elective and to meet girls.

Damnit man. You hit that nail smack dab on the head. Brought back some tremendous memories! Thank you sir!

Great Britian ended slavery by purchasing their existing slaves and then freeing them.
Must be where the gun buy back program got its roots!

I feel like a minority in Milwaukee for sure. I grew up a dairy farm. I believe in hard work. No handouts! I believe people should be given temporary short term loans for difficult situations and then people should pay the money back. Too many people are always looking for free stuff without earning the money first. I always tell people if everyone had to work for their money their would be less time for watching tv, giving the media too much attention and if people actually worked they would demand more responsibility from their elected government. If everyone had to pay their own way I bet this country would not be so liberal with spending money like it had no value.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherrillGl

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg