Juneteenth??

Ray B

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
I had never heard of Juneteenth before yesterday and now a bunch of people are claiming that it should be designated a US federal holiday. I have no objection to designating any day a federal holiday, however as with all holidays there is a cost. anyone remember what happened to Lincoln's birthday when a bunch of racists pushed for a holiday in January? So I'm wondering what day we will need to undesignated a federal holiday in exchange for Juneteenth- New Years? No. too many football games and parades; MLK Day? No, they just got that one. Presidents Day? No, they need a day to honor the presidents even though some were very dishonorable; Memorial Day?, no it's the unofficial start of Summer; 4th of July? Not likely, though given the current hate for anything American, it would be considered, but probably political suicide for the politicians that would push it through. Labor Day? No its the unofficial end of summer and the start of school- beside, with all the money from unions going to support the politicians, the politicians aren't going to bite the hand that feeds them. Christmas is too big a commercial event to consider touching it, so that leave Veterans Day and Thanksgiving. So who will the politicians jettison? The Vets or the Pilgrims? My guess is they'll combine Veterans day with Memorial Day.

Ray B said “My guess is they'll combine Veterans day with Memorial Day.“
I certainly hope not! Those that are honored on these holidays deserve more respect than they currently get...IMO!

I saw Juneeenth on my iCal. Does anyone know what it represents, because I sure don't, I am totally clueless.

Think it's to do with end of slavery in usa....but not other continents or countries like Africa.. middle east...etc where continued/continues for long time afterwards ....

Just move it to February 29th.

Juneteenth is the oldest nationally celebrated commemoration of the ending of slavery in the United States. Dating back to 1865, it was on June 19th that the Union soldiers, led by Major General Gordon Granger, landed at Galveston, Texas with news that the war had ended and that the enslaved were now free. Note that this was two and a half years after President Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation - which had become official January 1, 1863. The Emancipation Proclamation had little impact on the Texans due to the minimal number of Union troops to enforce the new Executive Order. However, with the surrender of General Lee in April of 1865, and the arrival of General Granger’s regiment, the forces were finally strong enough to influence and overcome the resistance.

Later attempts to explain this two and a half year delay in the receipt of this important news have yielded several versions that have been handed down through the years. Often told is the story of a messenger who was murdered on his way to Texas with the news of freedom. Another is that the news was deliberately withheld by the enslavers to maintain the labor force on the plantations. And still another is that federal troops actually waited for the slave owners to reap the benefits of one last cotton harvest before going to Texas to enforce the Emancipation Proclamation. All of which, or none of these versions could be true. Certainly, for some, President Lincoln's authority over the rebellious states was in question. Whatever the reasons, conditions in Texas remained status quo well beyond what was statutory.

General Order Number 3

One of General Granger’s first orders of business was to read to the people of Texas, General Order Number 3 which began most significantly with:

"The people of Texas are informed that in accordance with a Proclamation from the Executive of the United States, all slaves are free. This involves an absolute equality of rights and rights of property between former masters and slaves, and the connection heretofore existing between them becomes that between employer and hired laborer."

The reactions to this profound news ranged from pure shock to immediate jubilation. While many lingered to learn of this new employer to employee relationship, many left before these offers were completely off the lips of their former 'masters' - attesting to the varying conditions on the plantations and the realization of freedom. Even with nowhere to go, many felt that leaving the plantation would be their first grasp of freedom. North was a logical destination and for many it represented true freedom, while the desire to reach family members in neighboring states drove some into Louisiana, Arkansas and Oklahoma. Settling into these new areas as free men and women brought on new realities and the challenges of establishing a heretofore non-existent status for black people in America. Recounting the memories of that great day in June of 1865 and its festivities would serve as motivation as well as a release from the growing pressures encountered in their new territories. The celebration of June 19th was coined "Juneteenth" and grew with more participation from descendants. The Juneteenth celebration was a time for reassuring each other, for praying and for gathering remaining family members. Juneteenth continued to be highly revered in Texas decades later, with many former slaves and descendants making an annual pilgrimage back to Galveston on this date.

Juneteenth is the oldest nationally celebrated commemoration of the ending of slavery in the United States. Dating back to 1865, it was on June 19th that the Union soldiers, led by Major General Gordon Granger, landed at Galveston, Texas with news that the war had ended and that the enslaved were now free. Note that this was two and a half years after President Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation - which had become official January 1, 1863. The Emancipation Proclamation had little impact on the Texans due to the minimal number of Union troops to enforce the new Executive Order. However, with the surrender of General Lee in April of 1865, and the arrival of General Granger’s regiment, the forces were finally strong enough to influence and overcome the resistance.

Later attempts to explain this two and a half year delay in the receipt of this important news have yielded several versions that have been handed down through the years. Often told is the story of a messenger who was murdered on his way to Texas with the news of freedom. Another is that the news was deliberately withheld by the enslavers to maintain the labor force on the plantations. And still another is that federal troops actually waited for the slave owners to reap the benefits of one last cotton harvest before going to Texas to enforce the Emancipation Proclamation. All of which, or none of these versions could be true. Certainly, for some, President Lincoln's authority over the rebellious states was in question. Whatever the reasons, conditions in Texas remained status quo well beyond what was statutory.

General Order Number 3

One of General Granger’s first orders of business was to read to the people of Texas, General Order Number 3 which began most significantly with:

"The people of Texas are informed that in accordance with a Proclamation from the Executive of the United States, all slaves are free. This involves an absolute equality of rights and rights of property between former masters and slaves, and the connection heretofore existing between them becomes that between employer and hired laborer."

The reactions to this profound news ranged from pure shock to immediate jubilation. While many lingered to learn of this new employer to employee relationship, many left before these offers were completely off the lips of their former 'masters' - attesting to the varying conditions on the plantations and the realization of freedom. Even with nowhere to go, many felt that leaving the plantation would be their first grasp of freedom. North was a logical destination and for many it represented true freedom, while the desire to reach family members in neighboring states drove some into Louisiana, Arkansas and Oklahoma. Settling into these new areas as free men and women brought on new realities and the challenges of establishing a heretofore non-existent status for black people in America. Recounting the memories of that great day in June of 1865 and its festivities would serve as motivation as well as a release from the growing pressures encountered in their new territories. The celebration of June 19th was coined "Juneteenth" and grew with more participation from descendants. The Juneteenth celebration was a time for reassuring each other, for praying and for gathering remaining family members. Juneteenth continued to be highly revered in Texas decades later, with many former slaves and descendants making an annual pilgrimage back to Galveston on this date.

375 Ruger Fan thank you for clearing that up for me. I have never heard of nor learned that before. I will surely give it much more respect now.

If one follows the current mantra that the left is spewing out of their septic holes, shouldn’t Juneteenth(who in the hell named it) be erased from the history books or is only history that involves a white figure that we are supposed to remove and denounce? I’m so confused!

Juneteenth(who in the hell named it)

As noted previously, I hadn't heard of it until a couple days ago when some Bolshevik criticized the Trump campaign because it scheduled the Tulsa event on "it". From what I've read "June nineteenth" was too much for the indigenous personnel to say it was shortened to June teenth. I guess it's a good thing the fourth of July didn't come on the Fourteenth of July.

As noted previously, I hadn't heard of it until a couple days ago when some Bolshevik criticized the Trump campaign because it scheduled the Tulsa event on "it". From what I've read "June nineteenth" was too much for the indigenous personnel to say it was shortened to June teenth. I guess it's a good thing the fourth of July didn't come on the Fourteenth of July.
I live across the bay from Galveston and only knew of it because I had heard of a Juneteenth celebration in a small town west of houston and when I asked what it was the description was much less descriptive than 375’s post

. The Juneteenth celebration was a time for reassuring each other, for praying and for gathering remaining family members.
After reading this, and further being educated on its historic context, if the holiday was indeed used for these “positive” motives, I would find no issue at all. I guess only time will tell of how this date would come to be celebrated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Juneteenth 1865 the day that slaves were told in Texas that they were freed. I remember Juneteenth celebrations in San Antonio, Texas long before cinco de mayo. Juneteenth is just good ol ' Texas English. (y)(y)(y)

General Order Number 3

The reason there was a delay was that the Emancipation Proclamation only applied to the Confederacy (a small uncomfortable fact) and the Confederacy was not defeated until Lee and the Army of Northern Virginia surrendered on April 9, 1865. Texas was not occupied by Federal troops until after that was accomplished.

I can honestly say, after a lifetime of interest, teaching, and reading about the Civil War and Reconstruction, I first heard of Juneteenth about three weeks ago.

I live and work in Galveston and drive by the Juneteenth landmark every single day. Ever since I can remember, the day and subsequent weekend have been honored and celebrated by a few local communities in the area with parades and festivals.

I find it interesting that suddenly this year the day gains nationwide attention and every politician and major corporation are suddenly fervid supporters of Juneteenth.

For the record, there were no major protests, riots, or demonstrations here. There was plenty of media here the previous days anticipating something of that nature happening. Like I said, never seen that kind of attention regarding Juneteenth before.

Changes are coming faster then I thought.

I don't see the need for another federal holiday.There are too many now and most of them are just another poor excuse for govt flunkies and bureaucrats to get out of doing their jobs. If they spent half as much time actually doing their job instead of trying to get out of it think how much could be accomplished.
I'm from the old days when there was Christmas, New Years, Easter, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, and Thanksgiving.
Then as time passed and people got lazier they invented more ways to get out of work and look at the mess we have today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg