Judging Kudu

Ladismith, KZN.

Jon, guessing 58 inches.

I did not get to the last posts before I thought the same thing.
An absolute beauty.(y)

Apparently a close guess. :rolleyes:

@BRICKBURN , aaaah was more skill than guess..:LOL:....

@BRICKBURN , aaaah was more skill than guess..:LOL:....

With Kudu it is more like.....
b81-voodoo-magic.jpg

Guys seems to be dancing hahaha.......:eek:

Hello Jay - see you have been busy with the posts on AH. Hope to see you soon - Larry A

Pics of some fine kudu have been posted- thanks

Kudu- tough to judge length for sure. More experienced than some, less experienced than some but I've settled on a couple of visuals. 1) The curls on a good kudu need to be deep…. think coil spring :). 2) The horns need to look big compared to the head and body.

Some tips may turn in, go straight or turn out. Tips may be whitened or not and by definition the distal tip portion of the horn has been with the animal the longest time or since birth. Some spreads may be wide and some nearly parallel. Width doesn't translate to length. Personally I like the more parallel looking form but that's just me. Older animals or those with heavy or chipped or broken horns appeal to me but such attributes are very subjective.

@fourfive8 you have it summed up well. Frankly like the different horn shapes of various kudu bulls. They are amazing to watch from a distance with a spotting scope. Very majestic animals.

I'm no expert (not even close) compared to some who live with them and hunt for them almost daily during the season. I think all game is susceptible to "ground shrinkage". For me, caribou ground shrink the most. I've looked at maybe a few hundred kudu bulls and they are all appear and look thus "judge" differently given varying distances, attitudes, cover and lighting. I've passed (or hesitated too long!) on a couple that probably would have measured well (57-58" category) but no harm in that it just adds more opportunities and more hunt time. They are enjoyable to hunt as they can be very sneaky and can disappear instantly in their preferred thorn bush/sometimes broken habitat. Watching a big bull with horns laid back nosing and weaving so quickly and silently through the scrub is worth the price of admission.

Here are pics of four, being mine, I know the lengths. It might help for purposes of this thread… dunno. What should be obvious is three are decent- falling between 50 and 54 inches. One is really good. Two have tips turned out and are "nice looking" overall. One is more "stretched" out with tips turning in... but it is not the shortest of the group. The bottom bull- with the deep curls and long straight tips is over 63" :).
RSA Kudu copy.jpg
Bots kudu copy 1.jpg

Moz kudu copy.jpg

Bots Kudu copy 2.jpg

Last edited:
Someone smarter than me can judge them. My first is a 52" old bull with a big head. My second turned out to have a much slimmer head and upon measurement was 50". Each is perfect.
20160609_105825.jpg
20160528_212240.jpg

He looks impressive but a tough angle to judge from, at this point I was however only hunting with a camera...

Attachments

• Africa%20Edit%20279_zpspkuyef1b.jpg
    Africa%20Edit%20279_zpspkuyef1b.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 191
Last edited by a moderator:
South Africa 58.5 inch Kudu

full

Last edited by a moderator:
I can guess he was in rut due to the swollen neck....but it is going to take a kudu measurement whisperer to get a length from these photos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross