Judging Cape Buffalo

I just prefer the ones with deeper curl.
One with horns used for ear protection.
The guy on the right is flat and just goes out wide. Not my favourite.

The most dangerous brute in Africa

click on the image to enlarge...

Last edited by a moderator:
Those old scarred dagga boys, especially the photo of the one with a broken horn. he would be my top choice! What an old past his prime warrior,I have a spot for him in my trophy room! Brian

The easy way for the client to identify a really good bull is to listen rather than look...... I call it the f**k factor. If the PH looks at a bull & the first word out of his mouth is f*****k, then you know it's a corker. :)

FWIW the old theory about dagga boys was disproved 20 odd years ago when scientific research proved all mature bulls spend their time taking turns to visit the nearby herds to breed & then when too tired to continue will return to the bachelor herd that tend to frequent mudholes etc. The biggest & longest study into this was in the Manyara region of Tanzania.

IMO Age should be the largest determining factor in trophy quality, after age has been checked look at spread, inches are not one of the deal breakers (for myself at least on Buff).

My best always.

What a great thread! Thanks all. I haven't hunted buffalo yet, but it's on my list. Got my brown bear first, next buffalo :)

after reading this thread the old and bold dugge boy is swiftly climbing up my wish list also .if i can afford one next august it may happen then....

I just could not resist, I spend a couple of days in Ngorogoro in Tanz last year and got this awesome bull on camera, I almost fainted and myself and Reinhard had to have 6 beers each on this one just to regain focus, we looked at him for almost an hour!!!

A special moment for the two of us. Eat your hearts out guys!!!!!!

My best always

watermark.php

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 244
thats a cracker right there jaco

ive only just now sent an email to the outfitter that is hosting us next august to get a price for one of these guys
i feel likje the donkey thats got a carrot dangling in front of its nose to make it pull the cart
and im sorry jeff but you must stand in line for that monster :tongue:jaco being the gentleman that he is left him for your truely:wink:

ive only just now sent an email to the outfitter that is hosting us next august to get a price for one of these guys
i feel likje the donkey thats got a carrot dangling in front of its nose to make it pull the cart
and im sorry jeff but you must stand in line for that monster :tongue:jaco being the gentleman that he is left him for your truely:wink:

I hope you get him man!
When are you going?

fly into jbourg on august 2nd then onto port elezebeth same day and hunt on the third for a couple of weeks with roy wormald . i would of went to mozambique to bowhunt with dries visser safaris this time but the wife wants to come and she thought it would be to wild for her . so thats next time .

Bluey Say hi to Uncle Roy and Tex for me you'll have an awesome time ...........

My best always.

i will be sure to do that jaco , idont know anything about these guys i read about them in an aussie magazine ,he did a spread over two issues and i couldnt help myself after the good wife politely informed me that moz wasnt an option and booked with him , ive been trying to get them to answer my emails but they must be busy or maybe having a break themselves .
ive only heard good things about them .and the article he did for the australian and international trophy hunter magazine just got me signed up .
do they have good cape buffalos down in the east cape mate ?

Bluey, I am biast when it comes to the final question posed......, but I am sure that Roy will be able to help you or share some additional info, they are great guys and I am confident that you will have a great trip and experience.

Please excuse my brutal honesty... :)

My very best always.

it all good bloke

I just could not resist, I spend a couple of days in Ngorogoro in Tanz last year and got this awesome bull on camera, I almost fainted and myself and Reinhard had to have 6 beers each on this one just to regain focus, we looked at him for almost an hour!!!

A special moment for the two of us. Eat your hearts out guys!!!!!!

My best always

watermark.php

Incredible specimen and no Boma. :)
Thanks Jaco, it is nice to know such beasts are out roaming the countryside somewhere. Well worth the six beer.

Here are a couple of nice bulls from Kruger. I took these photos east of Satara. How do you guys like these two?

I'm not sure why those didn't show on here. If you simply click on the links above, you'll see the pictures of these two fine bulls.

Huge Nyati.jpg
Kruger Cape Buffalo.jpg

Jaco, these'll make the Sharks shiver! How's that for a front line?!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg