Joseph Lang Sidelock or Westley Richards 470

soumya sarkar

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Guys, I'm looking at these two big bore rifles both recently reconditioned by Westley and one by Chris Soyza

I really like both of them, maybe prefer the sidelock but need your opinions please

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-21 at 8.13.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-21 at 8.13.17 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 82
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-21 at 8.13.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-21 at 8.13.19 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 101
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-21 at 8.13.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-21 at 8.13.20 AM.png
    811.9 KB · Views: 89
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-21 at 8.13.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-21 at 8.13.31 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 84
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-21 at 8.13.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-21 at 8.13.32 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 85
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-21 at 8.13.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-21 at 8.13.33 AM.png
    856.1 KB · Views: 82
I have ALWAYS liked Joseph Lang rifles. Owned a rook rifle for a time. Absolutely beautifully made little rifle.
Fit and finish was perfect!

Wow. I know you are very knowledgeable yourself but I would look to @rookhawk and @Redleg

The Joseph Lang all day long! And its a 470NE, a caliber he created!

I’ve owned several Lang shotguns and I found them to be exceptionally well made. Sidelock. Beautiful restoration. Great case colors. Original case.

If the barrels are original and the bores are good, it looks like a great gun.

Only heartache is $37,500 restored is pricey.

The Westley Richards droplock 470 NE is a very fine and classic rifle. If ever needed they are in business in the UK and can be accessed for information or service. As much as I like Langs, the WR would be my choice!

Westley Richards!

Can’t beat a Westley Richards drop lock!

Thanks,

Pay a consultant to determine which is the best rifle. JJ Perodeau https://jjperodeau.com/ would be my only choice here in the States. They are both classics of their respective design. I suspect one will be in better actual, as opposed to apparent, condition. That would be my choice of the two.

Pay a consultant to determine which is the best rifle. JJ Perodeau https://jjperodeau.com/ would be my only choice here in the States. They are both classics of their respective design. I suspect one will be in better actual, as opposed to apparent, condition. That would be my choice of the two.
Agree on getting them checked out! I have a buddy that bought a used reconditioned double for $29,000.00. It has some major issues. Needless to say he has not been able to get it fixed or re-sell it and it has been 10 years now. Spend the money. Pay an expert to tell you the real deal. And there are so called experts and then there are experts. JJ is an expert.

I fell in love with double rifles the first time I saw one in a magazine....it was a Joseph Lang in .470 NE...

I still have the magazine...If I ever get stupid money, I'm going to buy every Lang I can find...

Which one fits you best?

The Drop Lock ...,.,
There is such cool factor to one
If you have never had a Drop Lock in your hand you are missing a real treat

If it doesn’t fit, you will have a beautiful well made safe queen either way you go.

As mentioned before I’d pay to have JJ check them out. Then I’d pick which was regulated the best for the load(s) you would like and fits the best. Assuming both functioned and performed flawlessly I’d make the choice based on which “spoke” to me. I can’t think of anyone who wouldn’t be proud of either, me personally I love the Westley droplock

The Joseph Lang all day long! And its a 470NE, a caliber he created!

I’ve owned several Lang shotguns and I found them to be exceptionally well made. Sidelock. Beautiful restoration. Great case colors. Original case.

If the barrels are original and the bores are good, it looks like a great gun.

Only heartache is $37,500 restored is pricey.

this was my thought. Neat to have a rifle in a cartridge the maker invented.

I also vote for JJ to check them out. That Lang looks fantastic!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeinSavage

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.