Joseph Lang Sidelock or Westley Richards 470

Will NOsler be OK when the gun is regulated with Norma? OR I should stick to Norma.

Marcel Thys and other makers have a tendency to build their .577/.600 doubles too light for calibre..

A 12 pound .600..?? Good luck with that... :p
I would agree, when lifting that .577 Thys, I did not find it overly heavy, which when considering the caliber, should be very worrisome.

I found from my notes that it was 4.955 Kg, or a 10.92 pound double. For a .577 that should be lively...

at least it'll point like a shotgun? :D

the Lang being a Sidelock may be a better choice for resale, both are in the same external condition tho you get a nice case with the Lang and 12k less

The Lang has been checked out by Ken Owen, very accurate and loads available. It seems Chris Soyza did a complete cleaning/overhaul. Still this is a old gun though in good shape and makes me wonder if it is a good idea to take a 100 plus years rifle to Africa?

The Lang has been checked out by Ken Owen, very accurate and loads available. It seems Chris Soyza did a complete cleaning/overhaul. Still this is a old gun though in good shape and makes me wonder if it is a good idea to take a 100 plus years rifle to Africa?
It would be a horrible idea NOT to!

It would be a horrible idea NOT to!
I hear you, at the same time the springs, hammers, pins are 100 year old, and with that the chances of them malfunctioning is more than a new one. Of course anything can go wrong and a new rifle may also break, though the chances are less, specially in a life and death situation hunting dangerous game. Hence wondering. But this is a great rifle and now has been checked out with test data though from a price point I'm not sure.

I would not hesitate to hunt DG with that rifle...did so with a similar...no problemo..

I have never owned either, but I would choose the Lang. I have bought a few rifles from JJ Perodeau and have had him do some work on various rifles and shotguns. Since he lives a few hours from me, I usually make the drive to see him. I was in the market for a classic double and asked his opinion on various manufacturers. He didn't have many nice things to say about WR guns. He said they wore their age faster than other doubles he has worked on, including their droplock models, and advised me to pass on one I was interested in. Not to knock anyone who owns one and is happy with it. I think they are beautiful rifles, but I could not afford to buy one and then possibly need work done to it.

So a 100 year old gun will expected to have some wear and tear. When one does refinishing I have no idea they check for strength longevity or just a nice clean,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross