John Rigby rifle

I question about it cos Ive read some feedind issues

From my experiences I will never purchase another bolt action DGR .375 H&H thru the .500’s without knowing 100% that the seller has the technical ability , proper skill sets, machines and available parts to make the rifle feed and function as a DGR. Marc at Rigby London has the crew to do this. Only a very small number of American gunbuilders have the skill sets to do this work.

If you do research you will find a common theme “Big Bore CRF Rifles Can Have Feeding Problems”. You will find many Big Bore rifles from the top tier US custom gun builders, actions and rifles from the famous German and European Mauser manufactures , and semi custom rifles from GMA, Mauser, Rigby, Dakota, have feeding issue histories on brand new rifles.

I will never purchase a used DGR without the ability to test the complete non firing , for the feeding , ejection and function of the rifle. Many DGR custom rifles get put in safes and never get fired . It’s not easy finding a qualified gunsmith who has the time to correct feeding problems with these rifles. It also can become quite expensive having one of the top gunsmiths doing the work.Only once a rifle is thoroughly function tested would I consider the purchase. When you get one of these Magnum Mauser’s to feed and function properly it is one of the most enjoyable experiences in the hunting rifle world.

Depends on how much engraving is on the rifle and whether you get wood upgrades, but starting at around $15000.

I’ve seen them a little lower than that, $13,500 to $14,000. A truly excellent rifle.

I've checked it without shooting. Loading and feeding and extracting many times and the gun seems work fine

Reactions: WAB
I've checked it without shooting. Loading and feeding and extracting many times and the gun seems work fine
great now book a hunt in Africa so we can field test it!

Recknagel ERA G9 Plus

John Rigby & Co. rifles are an extremely solid product . Unlike most makers of English bespoke bolt action rifles ( who employ Mayfair Engineering Mauser M98 action’s ) , John Rigby & Co . employ Waffen Prechtll Mauser M98 action’s which leave nothing to be desired .

The customer service department at John Rigby & Co . recommend these rifles with Federal Trophy Bonded or Norma PH factory loaded ammunition . Unlike many other traditional British bespoke rifle makers ( like George Gibbs , Holland & Holland and Westley Richards ) , they do not discourage the use of monolithic solid brass bullets in their products .

John Rigby & Co. rifles are an extremely solid product . Unlike most makers of English bespoke bolt action rifles ( who employ Mayfair Engineering Mauser M98 action’s ) , John Rigby & Co . employ Waffen Prechtll Mauser M98 action’s which leave nothing to be desired .

The customer service department at John Rigby & Co . recommend these rifles with Federal Trophy Bonded or Norma PH factory loaded ammunition . Unlike many other traditional British bespoke rifle makers ( like George Gibbs , Holland & Holland and Westley Richards ) , they do not discourage the use of monolithic solid brass bullets in their products .

The current Mauser Magnum 98 actions used on both the Rigby and Mauser rifles is now made in-house by the Blaser Group in Isny Germany, Prechtl has not been making the current Blaser Group Mauser actions for quite sometime.

The current Mauser Magnum 98 actions used on both the Rigby and Mauser rifles is now made in-house by the Blaser Group in Isny Germany, Prechtl has not been making the current Blaser Group Mauser actions for quite sometime.
@NWT
Thank you very much for correcting me .

Hi.
I recently went through pretty thorough research on the current remanufacture of the “Mauser branded” Mauser 98 Magnum action built over the past 35 years or so . I found three different Mauser branded manufacturers over that time, Rhinemetal , Prechtl, Blaser Group. I have owned a Prechtl version and own the current Mauser/Blaser version. As Marc Newton at Rigby will tell you , these (Mauser/Blaser) actions are the same Magnum Mauser actions used in his firms rifles.

This is most interesting information.
It is first time I hear this.

Do you know what may be the reason for discouraging owners from using monolithic solids?

This is most interesting information.
It is first time I hear this.

Do you know what may be the reason for discouraging owners from using monolithic solids?
@mark-hunter
Over the years , I have observed that the bulk of the English gunmakers are extremely conservative in the manner by which they build their arms . For example , George Gibbs and Holland & Holland are very reluctant to regulate their rifles for anything other than Kynoch ammunition . The same also goes for Westley Richards . The owner of George Gibbs Gunmakers ( Mr, Mark Crudgington ) also offers no warranty for his rifles being used with monolithic brass bullets . He still strongly believes that monolithic brass bullets can prematurely wear out barrel rifling . But we ( the consumer market ) now know that this is not necessarily true . Many individuals have now been using monolithic solid brass bullets in their rifles for almost 30 years without suffering any adverse consequences .

John Rigby & Co . is the exception to this trend .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanisIap02

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!