AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
SCI, Dallas Safari Club, NRA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Nambia, & South Africa
If you would like a CD from Air-2000 to help you get through Jo Berg, just send your address via PM and I'll post one right out free to lower 48.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Terry:

I am a brand new member, and sent you an e-mail requesting any help you can provide with the SA rifle importation process.

I shoot a "WWG" 45-70, fed with Garrett Ammunition. I have used the 45-70 in Argentina, Canada, and now (July-Aug. 2008) Africa.

I carry the little take-down rifle in a Pelican briefcase, locked, and then inside my suitcase. The "baggage throwers" in the airport do not lnow I have a rifle. :)

Any help will be appreciated. - - "540Grain" = (BILL)

Bill,
Terry should be getting back to you, however in the mean time I wanted to provide you with some useful links regarding the importation procedures of firearms in South Africa. I am actually busy right now putting together an article on this topic but for the time being here is the information that I wanted to share with you.
Jerome

---------------------------------------
South Africa Firearms Permit Application Form, SAPS 520
*You can find up to date information on importation of firearm into South Africa by going directly to government website of the South African Police Service (SAPS) at Crime Prevention - Firearms - Importation.
*You can download the South Africa Firearms Permit Application Form, SAPS 520 directly from the government SAPS website at http://www.saps.gov.za/crime_prevention/firearms/forms/english/e520.pdf.
*You can download the instruction on how to complete the South Africa Firearms Permit Form, SAPS 520 directly from the government SAPS website at http://www.saps.gov.za/crime_prevention/firearms/forms/english/ei520.pdf.
*You can find all the forms and instruction files from the South African Police Service on their website at Crime Prevention - Firearms.

Assistance with advance application of Form SAPS 520 for South Africa
To assist hunters, applications for temporary importation permits can be made in advance to the Central Firearm Register to expedite your time spent in South Africa's airports. Here below, in no particular order, are a few companies that you might want to consider:
Hunters' Support - Home
Riflepermits.com - Serving the International Hunter

Professional Hunters Association of South Africa (PHASA)
PHASA also assists hunters with the South Africa Firearms Permit Application Form, SAPS 520, you can go directly to their info page at PHASA : Temporary Firearm Import Permits - PHASA Service. There might be also some interesting information for you on their web site at PHASA : Home.

"Letter of Invitation" from your hunting outfitter(s)
If not already provided to you, request this document from your hunting outfitter(s), he should know exactly what to send to you and if not it is not a good sign...

Proof of firearm ownership for South Africa
You can register your firearms with the Department of Homeland Security U. S. Customs and Border Protection, you can download the form of the Certificate of Registration for Personal Effects Taken Abroad (CBP form# 4457) along with its’ instructions directly at U.S. Customs and Border Protection - Forms.

Laws & Regulations for Hunters Traveling with Weapons
Here is the link to an article that I wrote which might contain some good information for you:
Africa Hunting .com, hunter to hunter resource for African hunting safaris, bowhunting Africa, hunting Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Zambia, Botswana, Central African Republic, Mozambique, Benin, Cameroon, Ethiopia, Burkina Faso - Huntin

firearms licence in joburg arent that bad

in all fairness getting your firearm license in joburg aren't that difficult or lengthy if you do go with a hunting outfit that would do the little extra he would arrange it prior to your arrival in which case you will not be held up for longer than half an hour if not less just identify your rifle and get it checked and bobs your uncle there you go airport staff might mishandle the luggage therefore it is advisable to get a descent gun cage that is the only real problem that i have ever encountered

good luck to all

Gideon, thank you for your valuable tips and pointing this out, you are right. The key to all of this is for the hunting outfits, not only in South Africa but also in other parts of Africa as transit rules apply, to inform their clients of the procedures and supply them with the needed and correct information.

Yes, Outfitters must inform their clients as much as they can and must help them as far as they can. I personally think paying $200 so that someone can help you clear your guns in SA if you're hunting here is Bull.

It takes 15 minutes per client if you have all the forms and paperwork done properly and all the extras they need we provide those. This might sound like a long time for getting the guns cleared but the longest it took us last year with 8 hunters in one group was 1 1/2 hour with limited police staff. Now paying $200 per client to get their stuff cleared x 8 and they will end up with the same time clearing guns is just mad.

Sorry for the rant but I have seen too many hunters standing at the firearms office and having no clue what to do even if they will be hunting inside SA. 5 minutes later and a bit of help they are at least part on their way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreemanHar

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you