Jewelry in Namibia

MarkCZ

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa, Finland, Estonia, C.Z. Poland, Slovakia, Romania, Scotland , England, Namibia
Hi guys, just 7 weeks and I will hunting in Namibia with my mates. Now if I want to go again a nice little present for the wife will help smooth the way.
Is it better /cheaper to buy jewlery in Windhoek or as we pass through Jo,berg? What is the choice like in Namibia . Any tips greatly appreciated.
MarkCZ

Both can work. Windhoek is a great little city with a number of quality jewelry shops. Tourmaline is one of the traditional gemstones of Namibia (mined in the Erongo Mountain region). You can bring back just a stone, a ring, drop, etc that will be a unique souvenir of the country. Like Europe, almost all settings will be 18 carat. There is even an American gentleman in Omaruru who will sell just the stones at really good prices. If you are overnighting in J'burg, the city has some wonderful shops. Just be sure and go with someone who truly knows where to go. The airport shops do a brisk business. I did buy a Tanzanite stone there a couple of years ago. The dealer and I negotiated a while and she did come off list quite a bit. I held my breath all the way home, but the stone appraised about 30% more than I paid so all went well. It is not the place I would buy even lunch with the greatest confidence.

Both can work. Windhoek is a great little city with a number of quality jewelry shops. Tourmaline is one of the traditional gemstones of Namibia (mined in the Erongo Mountain region). You can bring back just a stone, a ring, drop, etc that will be a unique souvenir of the country. Like Europe, almost all settings will be 18 carat. There is even an American gentleman in Omaruru who will sell just the stones at really good prices. If you are overnighting in J'burg, the city has some wonderful shops. Just be sure and go with someone who truly knows where to go. The airport shops do a brisk business. I did buy a Tanzanite stone there a couple of years ago. The dealer and I negotiated a while and she did come off list quite a bit. I held my breath all the way home, but the stone appraised about 30% more than I paid so all went well. It is not the place I would buy even lunch with the greatest confidence.
I agree that if you are buying jewelry and not an expert, it can all be luck. I made out pretty good in Iraq about 10 years ago buying 22 kt gold necklaces, originating in Bahrain I believe. My jeweler at that time appraised them at about twice what I had paid. Haven't been that lucky anywhere else.

Mark,

If you have the occasion, there is a jewelry/curio shop located on the ground floor of the Intercontinental Hotel at the OR Tambo airport in Jo'burg. They are a short walking distance from the entrance to the international departure terminal. The name of the shop is Reveillon. They have a good variety of very nice, high quality African themed jewelry and a limited assortment of game leather products as well. Good prices, and they will negotiate a discount for you if you are willing to spend a few bucks.

You will find everything from earnings for $20 to Elephant hair bracelets, and gold/silver necklaces for $1K and up. They also have croc leather and cape buffalo wallets, belts, etc,.

Always use caution when buying overseas. They do not have the same oversight and laws that we have here. Many places will say almost anything to make a sale.
My wife and I own what is probably the biggest jewelry store in WY. I'm a jeweler/gemologist / lapidairist. A couple of yrs ago a local Dr. Came back from Africa with $50 K of tanzanite. He wanted to know if genuine and value. Luckily they are real. I could sell them to him for about what he paid. My question is why run the risk? Now that Dr wants to sell some and has had no luck moving them. Not a great investment....
Weigh the cost benefit. If you are spending any significant amount then either know something about it or only buy from someone you can trust. Small amounts, then it is what it is.
Many of our servicemen are being taken by unscrupulous sellers near bases overseas. Synthetic and immatation stones. A friend has produced a free DVD to help them recognize the crooks. Use caution with something unknown.
Be aware if you want to pay my way I would be happy to come help ID gems and advise . Bruce

I think I would buy jewels here! Take the wife straight down to the store!

Mark,

If you have the occasion, there is a jewelry/curio shop located on the ground floor of the Intercontinental Hotel at the OR Tambo airport in Jo'burg. They are a short walking distance from the entrance to the international departure terminal. The name of the shop is Reveillon. They have a good variety of very nice, high quality African themed jewelry and a limited assortment of game leather products as well. Good prices, and they will negotiate a discount for you if you are willing to spend a few bucks.

You will find everything from earnings for $20 to Elephant hair bracelets, and gold/silver necklaces for $1K and up. They also have croc leather and cape buffalo wallets, belts, etc,.
What , I could have bought a Croc belt cheap.
Live and learn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreemanHar

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you