James Leddy safari boots

FINALLY made it over to Abeline today and got fitted for both a custom pair of western boots and a pair of their safari boots...

The people were incredibly friendly, and the shop owner (the guy who makes ALL of their boots..) was super helpful and informative.. He walked me through several options for some custom stitching I was interested in.. all the different heel options and what would be best for my intended purposes, etc.. overall it was a very positive experience..

Its a basic west texas boot shop.. nothing at all like the ML Leddy shop near the stockyards in Ft. Worth.. No salespeople on the floor, not extravagance, etc.. just a clerk working the register and keeping the shop clean/running, and the boot maker/owner..

But overall I was pretty impressed with it all..

When I called them several weeks ago I was told to expect 90 days for turn around... which I thought was exceptional since everyone else I considered was 6 months to 18 months.. (ML Leddy was 12 months minimum).. today I was told "it will be much faster than that" (90 days).. but no firm commitment on how soon they will be ready..

When I pick up the boots, pics will follow..

Pretty excited right now though.. He had several very nice looking boots on the shelf.. he clearly is an exceptional maker.. combine that with really good service that I experienced.. great turn around time promised.. and outstanding pricing compared to others I considered.. and I think this is going to be a very nice experience...
I am ready to get some boots made as well. I could not find a working website for them. What phone number did you find for them? Website?
Thanks,
Philip

Their website is down.. I actually talked to them about it.. small shop.. and they literally just werent tracking it.. he was supposed to be calling godaddy and getting it turned back "on" again.. apparently they let their domain expire or something.. I dont think its any indicator of any financial difficulty or anything.. he had a TON of shoes and boots he was working on.. plenty of business.. I think he truly just wasnt paying attention to the domain.. and now he is scrambling to get it back up..

Contact info is:

Address: 1602 N Treadaway Blvd, Abilene, TX 79601

Phone: (325) 677-7811

Last edited by a moderator:
Their website is down.. I actually talked to them about it.. small shop.. and they literally just werent tracking it.. he was supposed to be calling godaddy and getting it turned back "on" again.. apparently they let their domain expire or something.. I dont think its any indicator of any financial difficulty or anything.. he had a TON of shoes and boots he was working on.. plenty of business.. I think he truly just wasnt paying attention to the domain.. and now he is scrambling to get it back up..

Contact info is:

Address: 1602 N Treadaway Blvd, Abilene, TX 79601

Phone: (325) 677-7811
I'd be very interested in hearing how your safari boots turned out. I hope to head to Texas in September and would make a trip to Abilene to get measured for these boots if they turn out as well as anticipated.

My feet have gotten wider as I've gotten older and I have neuropathy so fit and comfort are key.

Best pair of hunting boots I ever owned where Courtney safari double kudu leather. Cannot afford another pair.

I now use Tarzan Waxis(ancle high) as issued to Special forces when I was there. They served me well when I was there and now do again.

At US 60 they are hard to beat for value...

For $60 I may have to look for a pair when I am in SA in July... that’s quite a bargain for any quality hunting boot...

Yip if they are good enough for our special forces they are good enough for me...

Screenshot_20210227-224523_Chrome.jpg

The journey is almost complete..

Got a call from Al @ James Leddy Boots a few minutes ago.. Both my custom safari hunting boots and my custom western boots are done.. a full two weeks ahead of their promised schedule (they tell you up front that they are on a 90 day cycle.. but will do everything they can to beat that timeline while still preserving quality)..

Unless something comes up, its my intent to drive over to Abeline on Thursday and pick them up.. Al seems very pleased with the final product and commented several times about how nicely the cape buffalo hide dyed and shaped.. If Im only 50% as happy with them as he appears to be, I think Im going to be overjoyed with the final product(s)..

Will post up some pics either Thursday evening or Friday morning once I get them back home and have a chance to dance around in them for a few minutes... :)

Really looking forward to seeing how they turn out! I have a full buffalo hide(made into leather) on the way back from SA now and if yours turns out as well as I hope, I plan on doing the same thing.

I planned on heading to Abeline on Thursday.. but I couldnt stand it any longer.. so I headed out this morning, picked up my boots, and then turned back for home..

Bottom line up front.. I could not be more pleased with the process, the customer service, the quality of the product, or the price paid.. This has been an outstanding experience..

I provided James Leddy Boots with a piece of my tanned cape buff hide (undyed, etc)..

1620854732950.png

What I got back approximately 75 days later was a pair of incredible looking western boots and an equally incredible looking pair of safari boots.. made exactly to my specs (a little custom embroidery.. some changes to the toe boxes, etc)..

1620854977529.png

1620855035121.png

The pics honestly dont do them justice...

More importantly.. these are brand new boots.. and they already fit like precision driving gloves for my feet.. No breaking in yet, no softening of the leather yet, etc.. and they are wonderfully comfortable and form fitting..

When you consider the cost vst what ML Leddy and some other shops I talked to wanted to produce the same thing.. For me its a no brainer.. I will continue to make the drive to Abeline any time I need a new set of footwear..

Having them made out of my own buff hide just makes it all that much more awesome..

I planned on heading to Abeline on Thursday.. but I couldnt stand it any longer.. so I headed out this morning, picked up my boots, and then turned back for home..

Bottom line up front.. I could not be more pleased with the process, the customer service, the quality of the product, or the price paid.. This has been an outstanding experience..

I provided James Leddy Boots with a piece of my tanned cape buff hide (undyed, etc)..

View attachment 401646

What I got back approximately 75 days later was a pair of incredible looking western boots and an equally incredible looking pair of safari boots.. made exactly to my specs (a little custom embroidery.. some changes to the toe boxes, etc)..

View attachment 401647

View attachment 401648

The pics honestly dont do them justice...

More importantly.. these are brand new boots.. and they already fit like precision driving gloves for my feet.. No breaking in yet, no softening of the leather yet, etc.. and they are wonderfully comfortable and form fitting..

When you consider the cost vst what ML Leddy and some other shops I talked to wanted to produce the same thing.. For me its a no brainer.. I will continue to make the drive to Abeline any time I need a new set of footwear..

Having them made out of my own buff hide just makes it all that much more awesome..
He did a great job! Both look fantastic.

I love the small Jerusalem or Crusader's Cross you had put on the boot.

How much does your Safari boots weigh?

I love the small Jerusalem or Crusader's Cross you had put on the boot.

Ive been "wearing" a Crusaders Cross since 2003... It was the adopted emblem of the team I went into Iraq with that year.. A couple of guys on that team arent with us anymore.. So I started using it and putting it on things as a way of honoring and remembering them a few years later.. I use it as a makers mark on the knives I make.. use it as an avatar most places on the web other than here (the buff seemed more appropriate :) ).. etc...

I was really happy that Al was able/willing to put it in a small, discreet place on the boots.. Thats probably my favorite part of the whole thing..

How much does your Safari boots weigh?

2.9 lbs for the pair...

Im guessing safari boots for most other people would weigh a bit less though..

I opted for a hard leather shank underneath a thick/dense vibriam rubber sole.. and I've got a relatively big and wide foot (12.5 E).

He has multiple sole options for those that want something softer, harder, better for mud, better for sand, etc..

pretty cool to watch this....

AQHT7248.JPG

turn into boots over the course of 24 months...

:)

2.9 lbs for the pair...

Im guessing safari boots for most other people would weigh a bit less though..

I opted for a hard leather shank underneath a thick/dense vibriam rubber sole.. and I've got a relatively big and wide foot (12.5 E).

He has multiple sole options for those that want something softer, harder, better for mud, better for sand, etc..

Very nice looking boots. Have you worn Courteney’s? I’m really curious how the soles are for stalking vs the Courteneys. Somehow Courteney has figured out how to make what looks like a lug sole the most quiet stalking sole I have ever used.

Yep.. very familiar with Courteneys..

Im not sure yet how different they will be.. I've worn Vibram soles on boots for close to 35 years at this point.. theyve always performed exceptionally.. but these wear a different vibram than I am familiar with (I used to get vibram ripple soles installed on my military boots.. they were outstanding for moving through soft terrain were very soft and quiet.. but they were horrible at shedding mud and much.. and I have had a variety of vibrams on various hiking and hunting boots over the years.. most of them some sort of "lug" sole that have all been great at shedding rocks, mud, etc.. but not as quiet or as soft as the old military ripple soles..

The soles on these safari boots is fairly flat with a "grippy" texture to it similar to what you might find on a "boat" shoe and raised "vibram" all over them that I am sure act as treads / mini-lugs...

Ive been wearing them around the house since I got home, just giving them an initial spin.. I THINK they will be equally as quiet and equally as comfortable as the courteneys.. but I suppose I wont know that 100% for certain until mid July when I head to South Africa for a hunt :)

Yep.. very familiar with Courteneys..

Im not sure yet how different they will be.. I've worn Vibram soles on boots for close to 35 years at this point.. theyve always performed exceptionally.. but these wear a different vibram than I am familiar with (I used to get vibram ripple soles installed on my military boots.. they were outstanding for moving through soft terrain were very soft and quiet.. but they were horrible at shedding mud and much.. and I have had a variety of vibrams on various hiking and hunting boots over the years.. most of them some sort of "lug" sole that have all been great at shedding rocks, mud, etc.. but not as quiet or as soft as the old military ripple soles..

The soles on these safari boots is fairly flat with a "grippy" texture to it similar to what you might find on a "boat" shoe and raised "vibram" all over them that I am sure act as treads / mini-lugs...

Ive been wearing them around the house since I got home, just giving them an initial spin.. I THINK they will be equally as quiet and equally as comfortable as the courteneys.. but I suppose I wont know that 100% for certain until mid July when I head to South Africa for a hunt :)

Keep us posted. They look outstanding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg