Ivory question

sgt_zim

AH ambassador
Joined
Mar 26, 2017
Messages
5,560
Reaction score
22,229
Location
Richmond, Texas
Media
33
Articles
1
Hunting reports
Africa
1
USA/Canada
3
Australia/NZ
1
Member of
NRA, Houston Safari Club Foundation, NWTF
Hunted
South Africa, Idaho, Texas, Louisiana
When I was a kid back in the 60s and we were living in Malaysia, Mom and Dad (well, probably mostly Mom) bought about a 2' woman figurine made of Asiatic ivory. It is quite a work of art.

Who on earth would I call to put a value on it? They have a ton of stuff from those days, much of it worth quite a lot of money, at least by my estimation. My sisters and I have talked to Mom and Dad about that stuff, all agree we need to have some sort of evaluation done, but I just don't have a clue where to start. They also have a couple teak hutches, with scroll work that has to be seen to be believed. Can't figure out what sort of tool(s) they used to do all of that intricate work.

Anyway, some guidance on who to even look for would be much appreciated.
 
I would think that any qualified fine arts appraiser would be able to appraise the statue. Same for the teak pieces….find a qualified furniture appraiser. Regarding the ivory piece, there are federal laws pertaining to selling ivory, so be sure to get expert guidance on selling it….if selling it is a possibility. Again, the appraiser can help.
 
Talk to your insurance agent. I'm sure that they have a list of appraisers for just about anything
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,361
Messages
1,574,185
Members
169,923
Latest member
Krystle556
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

jnelson wrote on Jjhog's profile.
might think about getting these bullets to me
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top