Is this the ultimate .404 Jeffery?

Good story.

There are many, many classic rifle "sitting" around zimbabwe because of our license requirements and costs many are stored either at the armory or licensed dealers. There is a cased .257 Rigby takedown that I would love to own. Unfortunately it will probably never see the sun.

I know nothing of firearms laws in Zim...but what is an armory and why are privately owned firearms store there?

What's the issue with cost/access? Who controls it?

I know nothing of firearms laws in Zim...but what is an armory and why are privately owned firearms store there?

What's the issue with cost/access? Who controls it?
I'm not clear on the laws myself, but as Zim is a communist country - with a history of the civil population overthrowing the (then) white-led government by armed conflict - I suppose the ZANU-PF as the ruling governing body don't want the same thing done to them! So, if you don't have a current license/reason for a firearm it's likely to be seized and held within the Army's armoury - easy to store and guard that way. Ammunition is also very strictly controlled. I think only 200 rounds permitted per calibre in any calendar year.

Send a Pm to Tokoloshe Safaris who sent an earlier post within this thread and ask him to answer on here. I too would like to know their licensing specifics.

Cheers!

Fantastic 404 example. Perfect patina.......
Wonder how the bore is on this rifle. Just send it to me and I will take good care of it:)

EJ

I too would love to see what the bore looks like. I bet that long barrel makes for a nice sight picture. But with a serial number of "Lucky 7" I wonder why so many previous owners were so unlucky!
Either way, I'd love to take a look at such a nice old rifle!

Thanks for sharing this piece of history with us!

Just realized this thread is two years old. Yesterday I conditionally bought a .404J. It started out life in 1912 as a genuine single square bridge Mauser Rigby (documented) in .360Rigby. Somewhere along the line Rigby installed a new barrel in .404J. It is a perfect match (although a bit lighter) than my original Rigby in .416 Rigby. I say it is conditional for two reasons one the bolt serial numbers do not match "Rigby Numbers" which are on the trigger guard. These serial numbers are deferent than the Mauser numbers. I want to remove the rifle from the stock to double check to make sure the bolt numbers match. Secondly I want to shoot it make sure that it cycles properly and that it is reasonably accurate. If so then I will make the trade/purchase.

At the moment it is residing in a gun safe alongside of a cased .257Rigby takedown that I would love to own, but never will!

Great story. Thx for sharing!

I'm not clear on the laws myself, but as Zim is a communist country - with a history of the civil population overthrowing the (then) white-led government by armed conflict - I suppose the ZANU-PF as the ruling governing body don't want the same thing done to them! So, if you don't have a current license/reason for a firearm it's likely to be seized and held within the Army's armoury - easy to store and guard that way. Ammunition is also very strictly controlled. I think only 200 rounds permitted per calibre in any calendar year.

Send a Pm to Tokoloshe Safaris who sent an earlier post within this thread and ask him to answer on here. I too would like to know their licensing specifics.

Cheers!
I just read this old post. By U.S.A. standards Zimbabwe gun laws are a bit tough. Individual owners are limited to five firearms. A safari company can have unlimited.

The govt. arsenal stores govt. firearms and firearms that have been turned in for whatever reason. It also stores firearms that the owner is unknown such as in lost and recovered firearms, confiscated firearms or if a firearm license has expired. When Zimbabwe required all military type firearms be turned in with great reluctance I turned in my FN-FAL, that was around ten years ago! I have visited the armoury which is located on a military base, one hell of a lot of history there!

Let me say this on Zimbabwe firearms laws since there is no "second amendment rights" they are not so bad, you just have to have a good reason for ownership, here it is a privilege not a right. When I apply for a license or do a renewal it usually takes place within a week. You will also be given the amount of ammunition that you can own for that weapon at any one time. Mine usually has 300rds unless I ask for more, such as a .22 or shotgun. Very few crimes in Zimbabwe are committed with a firearm. If there is a crime committed it will either be committed with a stolen handgun or a AK47, which are so common in Africa.

In closing I will say this. In many countries people rob banks, IN ZIMBABWE BANKS ROB PEOPLE, no guns involved!

Just like that, my obsession to get a .404 is over........lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DesmondU66

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross