Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
We have a look been putting forward what is the perfect rifle for plains game. Some good some marginal and others to big.
In reality the best gun for plains game is the one you have in your hands at the time the game is sighted providing you are an ethical hunter that will a cleanly kill the game.
Bob

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
@BeeMaa
That's what lathes are for mate. You could turn the rims down cut a new extractor groove and end up with a rebates rim like the 425WR.
Problem solved.
Bob
Close, but my actual bolt head for the R8 will only accept the belted magnums based on the 375H&H. So turning down brass only gets me further away from what I really want. I see your point and it's valid, but I'm not the wildcat reloading junkie that you are. I also don't plan on getting another bolt head, at least at this point. After picking up a set of Leica RF binos for Mrs BeeMaa, a spending freeze has occurred on everything. Cheers mate.

TTundra

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA (Limpopo), USA , CAN
@TTundra
I can see it getting a lot better with a 225 grain accubond, Woodleigh or Barnes launched at up to 2,900 fps out of a 35 Whelen. They will do everything the 300 and 338 will do and then some . One shot no tracking what more do you want.
Bob
@Bob Nelson 35Whelen Everytime I play with the mid ".3's" I end up back to the 375h&h, then the cycle begins again. So many good ones out there, just not enough time.

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
@Bob Nelson 35Whelen Everytime I play with the mid ".3's" I end up back to the 375h&h, then the cycle begins again. So many good ones out there, just not enough time.
@TTundra
It must be awful to have such an affliction but if you have to have one at least it's healthy.
I won't ask what you think your final decision will be because you m at start the cycle again.
Bob

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
Close, but my actual bolt head for the R8 will only accept the belted magnums based on the 375H&H. So turning down brass only gets me further away from what I really want. I see your point and it's valid, but I'm not the wildcat reloading junkie that you are. I also don't plan on getting another bolt head, at least at this point. After picking up a set of Leica RF binos for Mrs BeeMaa, a spending freeze has occurred on everything. Cheers mate.
@BeeMaa
What do you need binos for just follow my philosophy. Hold on hair not air, If'n y'all have to hold on air it's to far away or your rifle ain't sighted to get the best out of it.
Bob

TTundra

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA (Limpopo), USA , CAN

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LoeirFilie

Latest profile posts

pam308 wrote on TOBY458's profile.
Just saw your listing for a winchester 70 458. Is it still for sale? I want it!!! pam308
flatwater bill wrote on john stroud's profile.
Leopard Legend....................Hi John.............I see that you have not visited AH in awhile. Hope all is well. I am looking for a hunt in Namibia..............would like to ask a few questions about your hunt.............all the best..............................Bill
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?