Is there a perfect plains game calibre?

We have a look been putting forward what is the perfect rifle for plains game. Some good some marginal and others to big.
In reality the best gun for plains game is the one you have in your hands at the time the game is sighted providing you are an ethical hunter that will a cleanly kill the game.
Bob

@BeeMaa
That's what lathes are for mate. You could turn the rims down cut a new extractor groove and end up with a rebates rim like the 425WR.
Problem solved.
Bob
Close, but my actual bolt head for the R8 will only accept the belted magnums based on the 375H&H. So turning down brass only gets me further away from what I really want. I see your point and it's valid, but I'm not the wildcat reloading junkie that you are. I also don't plan on getting another bolt head, at least at this point. After picking up a set of Leica RF binos for Mrs BeeMaa, a spending freeze has occurred on everything. Cheers mate.

@TTundra
I can see it getting a lot better with a 225 grain accubond, Woodleigh or Barnes launched at up to 2,900 fps out of a 35 Whelen. They will do everything the 300 and 338 will do and then some . One shot no tracking what more do you want.
Bob
@Bob Nelson 35Whelen Everytime I play with the mid ".3's" I end up back to the 375h&h, then the cycle begins again. So many good ones out there, just not enough time.

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen Everytime I play with the mid ".3's" I end up back to the 375h&h, then the cycle begins again. So many good ones out there, just not enough time.
@TTundra
It must be awful to have such an affliction but if you have to have one at least it's healthy.
I won't ask what you think your final decision will be because you m at start the cycle again.
Bob

Close, but my actual bolt head for the R8 will only accept the belted magnums based on the 375H&H. So turning down brass only gets me further away from what I really want. I see your point and it's valid, but I'm not the wildcat reloading junkie that you are. I also don't plan on getting another bolt head, at least at this point. After picking up a set of Leica RF binos for Mrs BeeMaa, a spending freeze has occurred on everything. Cheers mate.
@BeeMaa
What do you need binos for just follow my philosophy. Hold on hair not air, If'n y'all have to hold on air it's to far away or your rifle ain't sighted to get the best out of it.
Bob

My thoughts?
The perfect PG caliber is one already owned that shoots really well for you.
No matter what model rifle or caliber is used by anybody; pass on any shots that the shooter and PH are not comfortable taking. Not sure of getting the bullet where it needs to be? Same thing, pass on the shot. Using wrong constructed or inferior bullets? Don't go at all.

Now. No matter the reason we give for it everybody knows it is always best to buy another gun. :)

My plains game rifle that is perfect for me is my 30.06 fed with Remington Safari Grade 180 gr Swift A-Frame. This is not as a consequence of confirmation bias. I am exclusively a meat hunter and the largest animal which on occasion appears on my list is Eland. I am always considerate of shot placement, but admittedly more so with Eland at at distance. I find the 30.06 perfect for me due to me affording to practice with it. Ammunition costs increase with larger calibers. The additional calibers that I have obtained are all smaller, rather than larger. I would be as comfortable with a .308 for the purpose.
The 30-06 fed with premium 180 Gr serve me perfectly in the bushveld for species across the spectrum.
This is due to my hunting profile, yours may differ.

Yes, but opinions vary.
It's probably the one you handle well when it counts.

"Perfection" is a tough standard. Perfect under all conditions, all environments and for all of the dozens of species? Not possible. Any selection will have to be a compromise to some extent. Is there a caliber that's adequate for everything from dik-dik to Eland? Sure. My two candidates are .338 Winchester and the .375 H&H. Rounds of this caliber are only needed on the Eland. For everything else, they are more than what's needed. But...they will kill (thanks Doug Markaida.) Take Eland out of the equation and I think a 30 caliber, with a spitzer bullet, is close to being perfect for 80% of the species and conditions in Africa. Magnum or non-magnum...take your pick.

The rifles I have used the most on PG have been a Hill a country rifle 7mm REM Mag on a Sako 85 action. As well as an AHR CZ in 300 Weatherby. Both have taken 75+ PG animals from Eland to Duiker. I can’t tell the difference in terminal performance between the two. If perfectly hit, animals died instantly with both. Well hit animals died quickly with both.

I lost a kudu with the 7mm, gut shot a nice bull in the Karoo, 100% pulled the shot and we never found it after 2 days of looking. I missed an Eland in the Stormbergs at 120 mm with the 300 Weatherby, no idea how, we tracked him for 15 miles and my brother finally shot him with a 9.3x62, the only bullet in him.

My dad killed about 50 PG animals from Kudu to Springbok with a 6.5x284. I was with him for all of them. Saw the animals react to the shot and was interesting to see that much shooting first hand. He shot a small worthog twice, everything else was one shot kills. Nothing lost. Is the 6.5x284 a better rifle?

Good bullets, lots and lots of practice off sticks and patience is what’s needed I think.

PS If I was to build the “perfect” PG rifle today it would be a 300 win Mag on a GMA 98 identical to my Joe Smithson 375H&H. Mount a Swarovski 1.7-13.4x42 on it and call it a life.

PSS if I was in DG country …. The conversation stops and starts with the 9.3x62 or 375. Why carry a bull shit little toy when big beautiful dangerous animals are floating around.

"Perfection" is a tough standard. Perfect under all conditions, all environments and for all of the dozens of species? Not possible. Any selection will have to be a compromise to some extent. Is there a caliber that's adequate for everything from dik-dik to Eland? Sure. My two candidates are .338 Winchester and the .375 H&H. Rounds of this caliber are only needed on the Eland. For everything else, they are more than what's needed. But...they will kill (thanks Doug Markaida.)
648BA647-C3D9-4DB9-8D23-0C6591EC63FB.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
338 win mag and 375 H&H seem to be the two floated as the best plains game cartridges. Personally, I think splitting the difference with something like the .340 Wby would be even more perfect (or the 338-375 Ruger).

Personally, when I'm far from home and I don't know what to expect I like to bring more rifle than I need. Therefore, the minimum I'd take would be a .375 H&H if there was the slightest chance of DG being on the menu or causing me a problem.

I know everyone loves the PH and they're going to save your ass time and time again. That's just a bit too reliant upon others for me. If I had just a .30-06 along, I'd have solids or some bullet that could take down whatever nasty came my way.

Personally, when I'm far from home and I don't know what to expect I like to bring more rifle than I need. Therefore, the minimum I'd take would be a .375 H&H if there was the slightest chance of DG being on the menu or causing me a problem.

I know everyone loves the PH and they're going to save your ass time and time again. That's just a bit too reliant upon others for me. If I had just a .30-06 along, I'd have solids or some bullet that could take down whatever nasty came my way.
Have you read The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber by Ernest Hemingway? Pretty much what you fear here.

Well I’ll throw in my 2 cents just because. IMO the 30-06 is about the perfect PG caliber. I think it’s a great caliber really for 95% of hunts globally. Just because it’s old and there are all the new and shiny calibers doesn’t make it inferior. 30-06 with a 180gr bullet will kill just about anything stone dead. I’ve hunted extensively in North America with it. I’ve hunted Africa and Europe with it as well. It’s a great classic caliber but does everything and more that the new shiny ones will. I feel the same way about the 270.

some info here:

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg