Is the 275 Rigby up to larger Plains Game like kudu?

Have any of you bought a Highland Stalker recently? I believe they come standard with grade 5 walnut. Does it come up on polishing, or is it worth investing in their London finish?

I think their finish is fine, however, as much as I like my Highland Stalker, I must say that their definition of grade 5 and mine are somewhat different.

Mama has killed a lot of game up to sable with her London Best 275 Rigby. The cartridge is more than up to the task. My Highland Stalker is in 30-06 because I believe it is the greatest all around cartridge for most hunting. There is a big jump in coin between the London Best and the Highland Stalker.

Safe hunting

Will a 275/7x57 take large PG ? In a word ,yes. Loaded with 175 grain bullets, such as Nosler Partition it does a good job.
Would it be my chosen caliber for an eland ? No, I’ve shot 2 eland with a 275 but there are better choices.
There is a very nice T. T. Proctor in 275 on Guntrader.Co.U.K. £2950. I’m sure there would be some wiggle room on that. That leaves a lot of spare change to spend on hunting compared to a new Rigby.
I am biased towards the Proctor. I own one and it’s my go to rifle. I’m also lucky enough to own a Rigby.

Can one hunt large PG with a 275? Could you take that out to gemsbok? What about eland?
Yes. I used the Norma Oryx 170 gr bullet on my Zambian hunt with Mike Taylor @spike.t. I did not hunt an eland on that trip, but did take lechwe, sable, and waterbuck. It is a great caliber that seems to punch well above its weight, particularly with 150 gr and heavier bullets. Obviously, bullets need to go where they were intended which was not the case with the first shot on the waterbuck.

This is that hunting report.

Last edited:
I have grown up hunting with a 7x57 using 170gr ammo. I have shot up to kudu with it without issues. Such a low recoiling and minimal meat damage inducing caliber. My dad shot a gigantic Eland Bull at over 200 meters with his during 2021. It dressed out in the high 400kg’s. I’ll attach a photo.

BD89F692-5E89-47BC-9CEB-0DF63D579BC0.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Have any of you bought a Highland Stalker recently? I believe they come standard with grade 5 walnut. Does it come up on polishing, or is it worth investing in their London finish?
I am sure most people would smack me in the mouth for this but I went the opposite way. I love the fit and classic appearance of the HS but have an affinity for dark plain wood. I actually knocked down the "shine" on my HS to get a more vintage look. I am happy and have no regrets. Absolutely love my HS.

Rigby Before and After.png
2.jpg
1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sure most people would smack me in the mouth for this but I went the opposite way. I love the fit and classic appearance of the HS but have an affinity for dark plain wood. I actually knocked down the "shine" on my HS to get a more vintage look. I am happy and have no regrets. Absolutely love my HS.
I have to admit your HS looks better in the after pics.

I have to admit your HS looks better in the after pics.
I appreciate that. Its was a risky decision but I figured I was going with the HS for tradition and classic / vintage appeal. I love older Rigby's and tried to find one but came up short after many months. I figured I would make my own with a new HS.

I looked at one a few weeks ago at Gordy & Sons in Houston. They had the WMD Bell version and a couple of the regular Highland Stalkers. I preferred the regular Highland Stalker. Beautiful finish and great wood.

I've shot a total of six Eland on various trips to Africa. One with a 375 H&H, four with my .338 Win. mag and one with my .270 Win. shooting 150 Gr. Nosler Partitions. The one shot with the .270 didn't go any further after the shot than the others. The bull ran about 35 yds. and dropped. Put a good bullet in the right spot and your 275 will work. Shot placement trumps bullet size.

Can one hunt large PG with a 275? Could you take that out to gemsbok? What about eland?
Kevin, I am taking mine on my 2024 PG hunt to hunt Kudu, Gemsbok and Eland. I will be using a 154 grain bullet and am comfortable with it.

I almost bought one before buying my Rigby 275 Rigby made in 1956 instead...it has the exact same dimenisons as the HS. Yes it comes with grade 5 wood as standard.

I almost bought one before buying my Rigby 275 Rigby made in 1956 instead...it has the exact same dimenisons as the HS. Yes it comes with grade 5 wood as standard.
Have you got a few pictures please RB?

175 gr for the Big E. (SD .310) Only the 220 gr .30 cal bullets will outpenetrate it IF going the same V. The 7 has an edge over the 3006. I have one (Ackley Improved) and LOVE it! IF the eland only presents a head shot (esp. with lighter bullets in the mag), take it like Karamojo, Selous and Jameison would!

Have you got a few pictures please RB?
My Rigby had a bad crack in it so I am having the original used to have a new high grade wood hand carved as Rigby does to replace it. I will have it back in the next month. I will be posting many pictures at that time. I had Red Leg give me great advice on the work meaning it now has the exact same dimensions as the HS only with a higher grain wood

Yes with a premium 170 to 175 gr bullet all clear to eland....I have shot buff and hippo with mine no worries.....by the way it is a 7x57mm Mauser German and not a British 275 Rigby......

I think their finish is fine, however, as much as I like my Highland Stalker, I must say that their definition of grade 5 and mine are somewhat different.
I completely agree. I have found from my experience there is so much “art” in how each company labels grades of wood. I bought a grade 8 stock blank for my Rigby. I did not start out with any grade in mind…I just looked through the options and selected what most appealed to me without thinking of stock grades if that makes sense

Kevin you are stirring the pot! You want forum to collapse? :A Me You:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg