Is the 275 Rigby up to larger Plains Game like kudu?

What is 30 Rigby? I couldn't seem to google it up...
well....the 30 Rigby is more commonly referred to as the 30/06 Springfield; especially within the USA.

Here is a photograph of mine.

56169780_2162299870516110_7672531652043603968_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
well....the 30 Rigby is more commonly referred to as the 30/06 Springfield; especially within the USA.

Here is a photograph of mine
I’d prefer the Highland Stalker in 30 Rigby (y) far better choice.
180 gr bullet from a 30-06 with an SD of .271. 170 gr bullet from a 7mm/.275 with an SD of .300 (175 gr generates .310). The 30-06 is certainly a fine choice, but I am not sure I understand how it is a "far" better choice - particularly on game where penetration is key. It is just possible that Bell fellow may have been onto something.

180 gr bullet from a 30-06 with an SD of .271. 170 gr bullet from a 7mm/.275 with an SD of .300 (175 gr generates .310). The 30-06 is certainly a fine choice, but I am not sure I understand how it is a "far" better choice - particularly on game where penetration is key. It is just possible that Bell fellow may have been onto something.
arrr Red Leg....you take me far too seriously. The '06 ( 30 Rigby ) is a far better choice for the following reasons:

My Highland stalker is chambered for the 30R/'06

Factory ammunition is more readily available and cheaper than 7 x 57.

and most importantly....I never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

(y)

Here is a photograph of mine.
That is a very nice picture, says so much - a good boar, the Highland Stalker is in proportion to the quarry, great colour wood and the Prince Of Wales grip organic and proper.

Will a 275/7x57 take large PG ? In a word ,yes. Loaded with 175 grain bullets, such as Nosler Partition it does a good job.
Would it be my chosen caliber for an eland ? No, I’ve shot 2 eland with a 275 but there are better choices.
There is a very nice T. T. Proctor in 275 on Guntrader.Co.U.K. £2950. I’m sure there would be some wiggle room on that. That leaves a lot of spare change to spend on hunting compared to a new Rigby.
I am biased towards the Proctor. I own one and it’s my go to rifle. I’m also lucky enough to own a Rigby.
That does look a nice rifle!!

Kevin you are stirring the pot! You want forum to collapse? :A Me You:
Wait Mark, there is more. You see I so love Ruger No1's that if there was one of the Lipsey's ones available here in SA new, with the '275 Rigby' mark I would take it over the Highland Stalker. I've investigated getting one shipped from the USA, apparently impossible.

and most importantly....I never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

(y)
When the legend becomes fact... print the legend.

Can one hunt large PG with a 275? Could you take that out to gemsbok? What about eland?
Surely you jest ;) Only if the rifleman can put the right bullet, of course a 175 grain roundnose in the proper location. Otherwise no, even a 375 H&H won’t do, if they cant place their shot.

Have any of you bought a Highland Stalker recently? I believe they come standard with grade 5 walnut. Does it come up on polishing, or is it worth investing in their London finish?
I only wish I could afford one as they are absolutely gorgeous and from what I have read very accurate. Since I couldn’t I had to go back to the original Mauser.
E50B7A07-DB57-4330-810A-5CADA3838BBA.jpeg

Kevin , now you have got me thinking that I need to add a Highland stalker In 9.3x62 to my Rigby 450 Big Game Rifle.
Incedently, I also stripped the gloss finish from my 450 rigby and its wearing a flat oil fish now. I think it looks better than the gloss and more what a hunting rifle should look like.. my opinion and each to his own.
Best of luck on the quest.

Kevin , now you have got me thinking that I need to add a Highland stalker In 9.3x62 to my Rigby 450 Big Game Rifle.
Incedently, I also stripped the gloss finish from my 450 rigby and its wearing a flat oil fish now. I think it looks better than the gloss and more what a hunting rifle should look like.. my opinion and each to his own.
Good for you, Swara

My highland stalker is in 9.3x62. An absolutely fantastic rifle, perfectly suited for the 9.3x62. Kevin, if you wanted to step up the horsepower a bit, that would also be a fine stable mate to your 450/400. It also gives you a little more insurance if you bump into a cheeky cow while hunting PG.

My highland stalker is in 9.3x62. An absolutely fantastic rifle, perfectly suited for the 9.3x62. Kevin, if you wanted to step up the horsepower a bit, that would also be a fine stable mate to your 450/400. It also gives you a little more insurance if you bump into a cheeky cow while hunting PG.
Most of the cheeky cows I know get left at home fortunately...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross