Interesting Point About Bow Shot Placement

I get my VPAs scary sharp and then lightly put some unscented chap stick on each polished surface to prevent rust.

High hart(just over) double lung shot is always the safest, surest shot.

All this is assuming you'll hit where you're aiming.

Lots of moving parts and variables here. Aiming straight up the leg at the top of the lower 3rd is always best in my opinion. I was using Muzzy MX3 100 grains and nothing went over 50 yards.

Top of heart double lung always wins

My kudu...
IMG_1599.JPG

Top of his heart...
IMG_1663.JPG

Blue wildebeest
IMG_1654.JPG

IMG_1670.JPG

Waterbuck double lung
IMG_1903.JPG

Blesbok heart
51456779757__D206C6BF-51C5-41D6-8EE8-89B0FB28691C.JPG

Impala heart
IMG_1854.JPG

Warthog heart
IMG_2211.jpg

Great shooting Ty Howard! :P Robin Hood:

After I sharpen my heads I put a little Vaseline on the cutting edge to keep it from rusting and I think a little lube as it goes through the hide can only help.

Good shooting @Ty Howard (y)

Can never go wrong with a little lube @jeff .....:whistle:

regarding commentary of a "spine" shot, horrible idea with a bow! if an animal is small enough, it can anchor it right there. but you have a small margin of error for a miss AND a poor hit. not a great deal.

if the animal is larger, like an elk, moose, kudu, eland, you likely will not drop it on the spot and it WILL likely run off! i shot a moose in the spine with an arrow once, (misjudged the range) and it ran off and got away. a week later, my buddy that was there with me killed that same bull, thankfully.

the take away, a spine shot is a horrible choice with a bow. my 2 cents

Reactions: IvW
regarding commentary of a "spine" shot, horrible idea with a bow! if an animal is small enough, it can anchor it right there. but you have a small margin of error for a miss AND a poor hit. not a great deal.

if the animal is larger, like an elk, moose, kudu, eland, you likely will not drop it on the spot and it WILL likely run off! i shot a moose in the spine with an arrow once, (misjudged the range) and it ran off and got away. a week later, my buddy that was there with me killed that same bull, thankfully.

the take away, a spine shot is a horrible choice with a bow. my 2 cents

Agreed and very good advice.

Spine Shots are a big no-no!!

I well remember a bowhunter I guided who hit an impala ram high in the spine. The impala dropped as if poleaxed, struggled got to it's feet, made it just out of site and we could not see or hear it anymore.

My please at the time to shoot it again while we could still see it, were ignored. He refused to get out the blind until 20 minutes had passed, despite me explaining to him that this impala will disappear.

After the insistence and 20 minute agonizing wait I called my tracker with my hunting truck. Despite all our efforts and the use of my very experienced tracker and hunting dog, we never saw that Impala again!

Just one incident to explain that spine shots are bad news and in the event that it does happen unintentionally, a second shot should be taken immediately and follow up should never be delayed!

Very interesting discussion, I have always aimed for lungs do to the size. In preparation for my first trip to Africa I have been studying the triangle intensly. My 3D league scores have gone down but the real life trophy will be better lol. Lots of good info from you guys.

Well put Kal,

In preparation for my bowhunt in Namibia this fall I have been ignoring the 10 ring and going for the vitals

Great Thread! I just got back from the Eastern Cape in July and I took this Kudu with a heart shot. One of the coolest hunting experiences of my life. It was near dark and I had this animal out 20 yards from me spot and stalk. They stand pretty tall at the shoulder and his horns were straight up as he was looking at me. I put the pin on the shoulder and touched the release. I heard a thwack and only what I can describe as a roar/groan a half second later then he crashed right where I shot him. I used a grizzly stick arrow with a 175 grain samurai two blade head. He is not the biggest kudu in the world but he is nice for the Eastern cape and was a great experience for me. Weird how some animals will run when hit by a gun and some fall in their tracks like this one did with a bow kill.

View attachment 47110

The best Kudu kill is your Kudu kill. Great looking harvest. Was this by chance a complete pass through?

Thanks,
DL

BOILER ROOM shut down the engine and the train Stops,spine shots are a nice accidental drop if its cuts the spinal cord,if not its a pass thru that lets what blood leakage be absorbed by a lot of hair before it gets to the ground.

I am not so sure if we can really be discerning about heart, major blood vessels, or lung shot even at bow hunting distances of 15 to 30-35 yards, shooting a LB I do not attempt shots a longer distance; my experience is that one lung puncture and the animal will go a long way, both lungs punctured and is a short time before it runs out of air.
I enclose two of the Dr. Ashby reports that might be pertinent.

Attachments

• 2009_Getting_an_Edge_on_Success.pdf
    138.1 KB · Views: 129
  • 2003_Clotting+Cascade+Article.pdf
    105.6 KB · Views: 156

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roll_the_Knob!

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.