Input Wanted 375 Ruger vs 375 H&H

Fatback

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
I am looking at trying to get a 375 for hunting buffalo, hippo, etc… the problem I have is I shoot left handed and left handed bolt guns are typically hard to find. In my looking the 375 Ruger is coming up more than the 375 H&H in left handed options. For those that have experience with either of these cartridges is one significantly better than the other? Pros/Cons of each as far as hunting performance goes. Any and all input would be appreciated. Thanks

You will never be sorry for getting the H&H that has been around for 100+ years. Although I truly believe the RUGER is here to stay. Performance wise, the RUGER edges out the H&H by a little bit, but if you handload it's negligible. The RUGER fits in a shorter action and makes manufacturing a rifle less expensive...so you potentially save a little money. H&H having been around for so long makes ammo nearly ubiquitous in every camp from Alaska to Africa. The RUGER is lagging in this department but catching up nicely.

For a traveling hunter, I don't put much stock in the absolute need for CRF over PF. Or that everything has to be wood and blued vs stainless and synthetic. The only thing it absolutely needs to be is reliable. It needs to load, feed and chamber reliably EVERY SINGLE TIME and it absolutely must go BANG when you pull the trigger. Beyond that, the options are out there for you to choose from.

If you are looking to save money, buying a DG rifle is not the place to skimp. Get EXACTLY what you want and save your pennies to do so. This website is a great resource for this kind of research. Lots of threads out there on this subject.

IMO - 375H&H and never look back. But I'm biased...
1665781930989.png

Last edited:
Shot plenty with the 375 Ruger. Including the buff in the avatar. Factory or hand loaded, doesn’t matter, it all works. Plus the ammo can be found in Southern Africa if needed.

For what it’s worth, upgrades I would consider if your going after dangerous game. Polish the action all around, pillar bed and make sure there’s a little relief between rear tang and wood. Kickeez buttpad.

Rifle and smith work in hand for 2k or less…

@BeeMaa has it right. The H&H would be my choice too. Cartridges for the H&H are available (or not that long ago…who knows now) all over Africa. If your ammo goes missing there’s a better chance that you’ll find some.

What one will do the other will get done too. Have owned a .375 H&H from before the Ruger‘s birth. Therefore never needed the Ruger myself.
Agree with @BeeMaa completely. He is an R8 devotee and many are.
My current .375 is a Winchester 70 Classic Stainless. Will not be for sale while I can still shoot it.
As stated above, it will be a little easier to feed the H&H and it is a classic cartridge.
Your rifle, your choice.

Here is a link to an article Craig Boddington wrote. He is left handed as well.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-15 at 7.39.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-15 at 7.39.51 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 49
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-15 at 7.39.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-15 at 7.39.52 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 55
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-15 at 7.39.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-15 at 7.39.54 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 58
I really enjoy my Left Hand SAKO in .375 H&H
Super accurate and a dream to shoot with a Nightforce 2.5-10x42.

Either one will serve you well. More left handed versions in the 375 Ruger are available at a reasonable price. The one drawback to the Ruger is they are typically a little lighter rifle so the felt recoil is a bit more. This might come as a total shock to you and the AH community, but I am partial to the 375 Ruger.

BTW, I think there are some LH 375 H&H for sale on this sight.

BeeMaa captured most of the issues/plusses/minuses.

I have a .375 Ruger Alaskan, but will eventually get an H&H also.

The shorter/lighter action/20" barrel made a little bit lighter rifle to carry.

I am desperately left handed for shooting and use right handed rifles due to muscle memory from day one, so the lefthanded action issue is a mute point for me.

I hand load and the Ruger is better for that, but the H&H can be hand loaded.

Study each one and pick the one you want. Then PRACTICE with it!!!! My sessions would run for 50 rounds prior to my safari. I surprised my PH with my marksmanship skills. Many idiot Americans haven't learned to zero their rifle scope and can't run the gun under pressure. And many flinch. Learn your rifle and your load!

The shortages in ammo/brass lately have tipped it for now in favor of the H&H. Hornady is the only major manufacturer that supports the Ruger. Too many BS childish games going on with Federal & Winchester not wanting to make a cartridge with someone else's name on it, etc., etc..

Bets wishes on your selection, whichever it is!

Its hard to argue against the HH, but they are essentially the same performance. If you want a decent wood stock, I would lean towards the hh for nostalgia.

Certainly more ammo choices

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-15 at 7.40.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-15 at 7.40.43 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 55
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-15 at 7.40.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-15 at 7.40.44 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 46
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-15 at 7.40.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-15 at 7.40.45 AM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 48
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-15 at 7.40.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-15 at 7.40.48 AM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 47
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-15 at 7.40.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-15 at 7.40.51 AM.png
    624.1 KB · Views: 45
All other things being equal (they're not, cartridge availability most notably) if I'm looking at two functionally identical cartridges I would always go for the larger case, as it will generate less pressure. Especially at higher temperatures.

Nothing wrong with either but, if you are limited to factory ammo, then H&H for sure.

The problem I’m running into is finding a left handed H&H. I just really started looking so I am sure I’ll eventually run across the right one, hopefully. Thanks for the input y’all.

I think, nostalgia aside, the Ruger might be the better mousetrap, or at least as good.
My left handed buddy made short work of a monster buffalo in RSA with his left handed Ruger African in .375 Ruger and 270 grain Barnes bullets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JonathanG

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.