Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
CPT, Cavalry US Army, Retired
Hunted
South Africa, MO, CO, SD
Gents -

having just returned from riflesmith school, I was stunned to learn the school did not possess a stock duplicator pattern for these two rifles. Therefore, I will have to construct my own patterns. I would much rather begin with a take-off stock to get the inletting than to buy a new stock from Boyd's.

Does anyone have these laying about that they would either donate to the cause for my payment of shipping, or sell at a reasonable price?

USMA84DAB

No sir I don’t have but am sure looking forward to you getting all set up to work on rifles!

Gents -

having just returned from riflesmith school, I was stunned to learn the school did not possess a stock duplicator pattern for these two rifles. Therefore, I will have to construct my own patterns. I would much rather begin with a take-off stock to get the inletting than to buy a new stock from Boyd's.

Does anyone have these laying about that they would either donate to the cause for my payment of shipping, or sell at a reasonable price?

USMA84DAB
@USMA84DAB
Are you after a military stock or sporting stock.
If you are after a sporting stock I have one I will gladly donate to you if you would like to pay the postage.
Just pm me and we will work it out.
It would be my pleasure to give you one .
Bob Nelson

Bruce, I believe the 1917 Lee Enfield(s) are referred to as P-17(s.)
Shootist43
Art the correct order is the original was a P13 in the experimental 276 cartridge sent to the U.S. to build for the British. Due to the outbreak of WW1and lack of SMLE No1Mk111, it was chambered for the 303 British and became the P14.
Later when the U.S. the war they didn't have enough Springfield rifles so rechambered and modified it to the M17 in 30/06 caliber
It then went on to become the Remington 30 and 30s made out of left over M17 parts.
I hope that clears up any confusion for yo

The action on the P17(s) was a little longer than what is on the P 14 to accommodate the "Peterson Device" whatever that was. What do you know, I just learned something new. What most folks call the P -17 i.e. the 1917 Lee Enfield chambered in 30 - 06 was actually called the M-17 by the Military. Bruce, you were absolutely correct. As they say "a rose by any other name smells just as sweet."

The action on the P17(s) was a little longer than what is on the P 14 to accommodate the "Peterson Device" whatever that was. What do you know, I just learned something new. What most folks call the P -17 i.e. the 1917 Lee Enfield chambered in 30 - 06 was actually called the M-17 by the Military. Bruce, you were absolutely correct. As they say "a rose by any other name smells just as sweet."
@ Shootist43
Art actually they are the same length action, same barrel threads,but different magazine and follower. I have both.
Bob

i think the pederson device made the rifle semi auto.
not sure what cartridge it fired, but suspect 45 auto.
bruce.
@bruce moulds
You are correct young man.
Screenshot_20200805-180007_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200805-180023_Chrome.jpg

obviously not 45 acp from the article.
it says a postol cartridge that fits the barrel.
was it a special round or one in common use?
bruce.

Yes, the cartridge for the Pederson device is somewhat obscure and had the purposefully cryptic designation of Pistol, Caliber .30 Model 1918. :) Hatcher has a chapter devoted to the device in his book.

the cartridge is also called the 7.65x20 Longue

Gents -

USMA84DAB

Send me a PM, I maybe able to help.

Cheers

Pat

Its correctly the M1917 rifle. The Petersen Device was used in the 1903 Mk 1 Springfield.

Yes, kind of off track from the 14/17 discussion, but the Pederson device was an interesting side note to US military small arms history. The device was inserted into a slightly modified M1903 Springfield in place of the regular bolt. It was in effect a small auto loading pistol of blow back design that held a 40 round detachable magazine. It did not affect the rifle and the rifle could be returned to original function (as a 30-06) by simply removing the device and replacing the original bolt. The device would fire an 80 gr bullet out a short, shallow rifled barrel. The velocity was approx.1300 fps. The bullet would leave the short barrel of the device already spinning and would enter the Springfield bore, re-engage the rifling, maintain spin and normal path on to muzzle exit. It converted the bolt action M1903 Springfield into a 40 round semi auto.

After a short and convincing demo in mid-1917, the War Department powers that be ordered production of 500,000 of the devices along with a comparable number of modified Springfields (Mark1) to be issued with the devices scheduled for full deployment to the War Front by early 1919. It was a top secret plan to use as a surprise against German infantry forces the next time they began massed assaults into the "No Man's Land" between the trenches. As it turned out the British and American regular armaments in use were adequate to effectively end the War by October 1918. Only 65,000 were produced and the rest of the order canceled.

Last edited:
Gentlemen -

My apologies - apparently AH is not actually sending notices when a watched thread gets a new post. I will read through what you have written and respond.

Update - I scored a superb donor action off of Guns.com. It was sporterized in the '50s, judging by the white spacers in the monte carlo stock. ($490 all done with shipping, etc..) This should handle the inletting. I chased down the buyer of the duplicating machine on sale circa March here on AH. George Gillespie at Sonoran Custom Gunstocks has received the take-off stock and 2 stock blanks. He will inlet both blanks, and send me one back. I will finish the outside of this stock to a dangerous game rifle pattern. I will send the nearly completed stock back to George. He will duplicate the outside of my stock onto the inletted stock blank he kept. He will send my stock back. This way we both have a completed Enfield stock, and I have set him up to duplicate stocks for me (and others) in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudeWjg34

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross