Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Asia/M.East
Member of
Life Member of SCI, DSC, GSCO, HSC, NRA and FNAWS
Hunted
Botswana, Cameroon, CAR, Chad, Ethiopia, Mozambique, Namibia, RSA, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe. US, Canada, Arctic, Mexico, Argentina, Austria, France, Spain, Portugal, U.K., Romania, Tadjikistan, Turkey, Nepal, China, Australia and New Zealand
I just read on the Hunting Report that W. Cameron "Cam" Greig passed away on June 24 in South Africa after an extended battle with cancer. He had the cancer in remission but complications from some of the treatments caused him to fall ill while on safari in the Congo.

Some of you will know the name as Cam was well known for assisting hunters organize Chasse Libre safaris in Cameroon. Unbeknownst to many, it is possible to organize your own safari without a licensed P.H. In Cameroon. He had established a good group of people and contacts to facilitate these safaris for the truly adventurous.

I had the pleasure of meeting Cam back in '87 when he called me for a reference on Nemba Safaris in Zimbabwe. After many telephone conversations we fast became friends and I guided him on a whitetail hunt in the Texas Hill Country the following year.

To say he was interesting man is an understatement. His name came from the fact his parents were missionary's in Cameroon and he was born there - thus the name Cameron. He had a love for hunting and a passion for Africa and ultimately purchased a property he developed into a game ranch along with his brother.

As the days pass, we all grow older so go hunting as often as you can.

Blessings to the Greig Family, I am praying for you all.

"See you on the other side, in verdant pastures my friend"

John Ed

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 11.00.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 11.00.33 AM.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 157
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 11.00.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 11.00.35 AM.png
    835 KB · Views: 130
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 11.00.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 11.00.37 AM.png
    540.5 KB · Views: 127
Last edited by a moderator:
Sad to hear, met Cam at the SCI Convention on a couple of occasion, a character and a pleasure to talk to. My sincere condolences to his family, loved ones and friends.

I was the hunter with Cam. We made it as far as a Pigmy village together. We split the gear, he kept a rifle, and planned to hunt near the village and rest for a few days. I headed in to the rainforest with trackers and porters for nearly two weeks. Cam planned to meet me later in the hunt but his health took a turn for the worse.

There has been a side of me that feels had I not gone on the trip would Cam have survived longer. I know Cam wanted to hunt in the rainforest again and see his friends one more time. I hope in some small way my being there helped to facilitate that. He spoke of returning in August and hunting on camel back in Pakistan later this year. He was full of life even as his life came to a close. I also know Cam would have never taken a client to the Republic of Congo without believing his own health was good enough to complete the entire trip. He would not have jeopardized a client’s wellbeing. Our hunting community is diminished with his loss. Many times in the rainforest I would think when I see Cam I need to ask him what this is, or what made that sound, or why this happened. That knowledge is lost forever. I would also like to thank Dr. Harvey, his wife Rebecca, and the staff of the Pioneer Christian Hospital for taking care of Cam both physically and spiritually the days he was in Impfondo. Also thank you to Erica who flew to South Africa with Cam as a patient advocate. He was with caring friends those last days.

@Mike70560, It would be nice if you could share with all of us a couple of pictures of Cam, thank you.

Condolences to his family and to those of you who knew him personally.

Cam and I had emailed a few times, but I hadn't gotten to the point of pulling the trigger on a hunt.

Some of the stories I have heard about Cam are legendary. His relationships with influential people in west Africa goes deep. It is certainly my loss not to have met or spent time with him.

Stories that those of you who knew him would be willing to share would be appreciated.

Thoughts and prayers to his family.

I was the hunter with Cam. We made it as far as a Pigmy village together. We split the gear, he kept a rifle, and planned to hunt near the village and rest for a few days. I headed in to the rainforest with trackers and porters for nearly two weeks. Cam planned to meet me later in the hunt but his health took a turn for the worse.

There has been a side of me that feels had I not gone on the trip would Cam have survived longer. I know Cam wanted to hunt in the rainforest again and see his friends one more time. I hope in some small way my being there helped to facilitate that. He spoke of returning in August and hunting on camel back in Pakistan later this year. He was full of life even as his life came to a close. I also know Cam would have never taken a client to the Republic of Congo without believing his own health was good enough to complete the entire trip. He would not have jeopardized a client’s wellbeing. Our hunting community is diminished with his loss. Many times in the rainforest I would think when I see Cam I need to ask him what this is, or what made that sound, or why this happened. That knowledge is lost forever. I would also like to thank Dr. Harvey, his wife Rebecca, and the staff of the Pioneer Christian Hospital for taking care of Cam both physically and spiritually the days he was in Impfondo. Also thank you to Erica who flew to South Africa with Cam as a patient advocate. He was with caring friends those last days.

@Mike70560 What a Blessing for you to be there with Cam and experience the forest, truly one of the few wild and magical places left on the continent. When you have the heart, desire and drive like Cam did - you will go on, as long as you can, right to the end.

Condolences and my prayers for Cam's family, I was very interested in one of his hunts. Wish I could have had the opportunity to hunt with him.
Cody

Never met him but always sad to hear, especially when some of you had great experiences with him. Prayers for the continued uplifting and healing of his family

Cam and I in Impfondo enjoying a little breakfast while gathering supplies

Attachments

• IMG_2745_zpsgrmzay8s.jpg
    IMG_2745_zpsgrmzay8s.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 214
About 20 years ago Cam walked, paddled, and waded across the Republic of Congo well in to Cameroon a distance travelled of some 500 miles to escape a civil war.

Cam on previous trips to Cameroon and Congo.

Attachments

• Cam A_zpskshkhh3l.jpg
    Cam A_zpskshkhh3l.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 174
  • Cam_zps7zafpevj.jpg
    Cam_zps7zafpevj.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 179
never had the pleasure of meeting him , RIP sir .

Mike, Thank you for posting these pictures in memory of Cam.

I enjoyed my conversations with Cam about hunting. He was one of and kind and I whole heartedly agree that the hunting community has taken a hit with his passing.

Mike, I am glad you got into the jungle with him and he made the trip (adventure) one last time.

A true adventurer!

Oh my gosh, sad, SAD news indeed. The last time I saw Cam was at the SCI-Vegas convention in February, and I've been thinking to try giving him a call for the past several weeks. I say try because I knew he was planning several adventures this year, and his adventures would ALWAYS be "out of range" . . . to say the least. Now all one can do is call his wife to express condolences. I've known Cam since 1995, and have shared three adventures with him, two in the Cameroon jungle, and one in Bangladesh, and we've always talked of doing more when he was healthy again. Cam was one very special guy, and one of the last true adventurers of our time. What a loss. Rest in peace my friend . . .

I'm posting a few pictures of Cam in better times.

Here in Cameroon, about 3 days trek from the village of Mentome with Maurice, the "cook" on my team of porters.
image.jpeg

And here we are in the Chittagong Club in Chittagong, eastern Bangladesh

image.jpeg

always sad to lose one of our own,so few of us left anymore,really.

Sad news, RIP.

Oh my gosh, sad, SAD news indeed. The last time I saw Cam was at the SCI-Vegas convention in February, and I've been thinking to try giving him a call for the past several weeks. I say try because I knew he was planning several adventures this year, and his adventures would ALWAYS be "out of range" . . . to say the least. Now all one can do is call his wife to express condolences. I've known Cam since 1995, and have shared three adventures with him, two in the Cameroon jungle, and one in Bangladesh, and we've always talked of doing more when he was healthy again. Cam was one very special guy, and one of the last true adventurers of our time. What a loss. Rest in peace my friend . . .

I'm posting a few pictures of Cam in better times.

Here in Cameroon, about 3 days trek from the village of Mentome with Maurice, the "cook" on my team of porters.
View attachment 156343
And here we are in the Chittagong Club in Chittagong, eastern Bangladesh

View attachment 156345

@Anbessa Gedai I'd love to hear the Bangladesh story

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg