In memoriam - Cameron Greig passes away

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by JES Adventures, Jul 26, 2016.

1. JES Adventures

JES Adventures AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life Member of SCI and DSC
    Hunted:
    Botswana, Cameroon, CAR, Ethiopia, Namibia, RSA, Tanzania, Uganda, Zimbabwe and Zambia. US, Canada, Arctic, Mexico, Argentina, Spain, Portugal, U.K., Romania, Tadjikistan, Nepal, China, Australia and New Zealand
    I just read on the Hunting Report that W. Cameron "Cam" Greig passed away on June 24 in South Africa after an extended battle with cancer. He had the cancer in remission but complications from some of the treatments caused him to fall ill while on safari in the Congo.

Some of you will know the name as Cam was well known for assisting hunters organize Chasse Libre safaris in Cameroon. Unbeknownst to many, it is possible to organize your own safari without a licensed P.H. In Cameroon. He had established a good group of people and contacts to facilitate these safaris for the truly adventurous.

I had the pleasure of meeting Cam back in '87 when he called me for a reference on Nemba Safaris in Zimbabwe. After many telephone conversations we fast became friends and I guided him on a whitetail hunt in the Texas Hill Country the following year.

To say he was interesting man is an understatement. His name came from the fact his parents were missionary's in Cameroon and he was born there - thus the name Cameron. He had a love for hunting and a passion for Africa and ultimately purchased a property he developed into a game ranch along with his brother.

As the days pass, we all grow older so go hunting as often as you can.

Blessings to the Greig Family, I am praying for you all.

"See you on the other side, in verdant pastures my friend"

John Ed

2. AfricaHunting.com

AfricaHunting.com AH ENABLER FOUNDER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Sad to hear, met Cam at the SCI Convention on a couple of occasion, a character and a pleasure to talk to. My sincere condolences to his family, loved ones and friends.

npm352 and JES Adventures like this.

3. Mike70560

Mike70560 AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, DSC, NRA
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Tanzania, Zambia, Republic of Congo, Canada
    I was the hunter with Cam. We made it as far as a Pigmy village together. We split the gear, he kept a rifle, and planned to hunt near the village and rest for a few days. I headed in to the rainforest with trackers and porters for nearly two weeks. Cam planned to meet me later in the hunt but his health took a turn for the worse.

There has been a side of me that feels had I not gone on the trip would Cam have survived longer. I know Cam wanted to hunt in the rainforest again and see his friends one more time. I hope in some small way my being there helped to facilitate that. He spoke of returning in August and hunting on camel back in Pakistan later this year. He was full of life even as his life came to a close. I also know Cam would have never taken a client to the Republic of Congo without believing his own health was good enough to complete the entire trip. He would not have jeopardized a client’s wellbeing. Our hunting community is diminished with his loss. Many times in the rainforest I would think when I see Cam I need to ask him what this is, or what made that sound, or why this happened. That knowledge is lost forever. I would also like to thank Dr. Harvey, his wife Rebecca, and the staff of the Pioneer Christian Hospital for taking care of Cam both physically and spiritually the days he was in Impfondo. Also thank you to Erica who flew to South Africa with Cam as a patient advocate. He was with caring friends those last days.

Environ, Nyati, spike.t and 5 others like this.

4. AfricaHunting.com

Video/Photo:
    @Mike70560, It would be nice if you could share with all of us a couple of pictures of Cam, thank you.

npm352 likes this.

5. Wheels

Wheels AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zimbabwe
    Condolences to his family and to those of you who knew him personally.

Cam and I had emailed a few times, but I hadn't gotten to the point of pulling the trigger on a hunt.

Some of the stories I have heard about Cam are legendary. His relationships with influential people in west Africa goes deep. It is certainly my loss not to have met or spent time with him.

Stories that those of you who knew him would be willing to share would be appreciated.

Thoughts and prayers to his family.

6. JES Adventures

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Botswana, Cameroon, CAR, Ethiopia, Namibia, RSA, Tanzania, Uganda, Zimbabwe and Zambia. US, Canada, Arctic, Mexico, Argentina, Spain, Portugal, U.K., Romania, Tadjikistan, Nepal, China, Australia and New Zealand
    @Mike70560 What a Blessing for you to be there with Cam and experience the forest, truly one of the few wild and magical places left on the continent. When you have the heart, desire and drive like Cam did - you will go on, as long as you can, right to the end.

7. Bullthrower338

Bullthrower338 AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
    Hunted:
    USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA
    Condolences and my prayers for Cam's family, I was very interested in one of his hunts. Wish I could have had the opportunity to hunt with him.
    Cody

8. reedy0312

reedy0312 AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe
    Never met him but always sad to hear, especially when some of you had great experiences with him. Prayers for the continued uplifting and healing of his family

9. Mike70560

Mike70560 AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, DSC, NRA
    Hunted:
    [​IMG]

Cam and I in Impfondo enjoying a little breakfast while gathering supplies

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2016

10. Mike70560

Mike70560 AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, DSC, NRA
    Hunted:
    About 20 years ago Cam walked, paddled, and waded across the Republic of Congo well in to Cameroon a distance travelled of some 500 miles to escape a civil war.

Cam on previous trips to Cameroon and Congo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2016

11. npm352

npm352 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Sad to hear

12. bassasdaindia

bassasdaindia AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    never had the pleasure of meeting him , RIP sir .

Clayton likes this.

13. AfricaHunting.com

Video/Photo:
    Mike, Thank you for posting these pictures in memory of Cam.

14. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico
    I enjoyed my conversations with Cam about hunting. He was one of and kind and I whole heartedly agree that the hunting community has taken a hit with his passing.

Mike, I am glad you got into the jungle with him and he made the trip (adventure) one last time.

A true adventurer!

15. Anbessa Gedai

Anbessa Gedai AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA - LIFE MEMBER & SCI - LIFE MEMBER
    Hunted:
    Ethiopia, Kenya, Mocambique, Namibia, Republic of South Africa, Zimbabwe, The Cameroon, Australia, Austria, Bangladesh, Germany, Uzbekistan, British Columbia, Ontario, Manitoba, Alaska, California, Washington, Wisconsin
    Oh my gosh, sad, SAD news indeed. The last time I saw Cam was at the SCI-Vegas convention in February, and I've been thinking to try giving him a call for the past several weeks. I say try because I knew he was planning several adventures this year, and his adventures would ALWAYS be "out of range" . . . to say the least. Now all one can do is call his wife to express condolences. I've known Cam since 1995, and have shared three adventures with him, two in the Cameroon jungle, and one in Bangladesh, and we've always talked of doing more when he was healthy again. Cam was one very special guy, and one of the last true adventurers of our time. What a loss. Rest in peace my friend . . .

I'm posting a few pictures of Cam in better times.

Here in Cameroon, about 3 days trek from the village of Mentome with Maurice, the "cook" on my team of porters.
    image.jpeg
    And here we are in the Chittagong Club in Chittagong, eastern Bangladesh

image.jpeg

16. Witold Krzyżanowski

Witold Krzyżanowski AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    1977; Polish Hunting Assotiation
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe
    Condolences to his famili and friends.
    Witold

Environ likes this.

17. spike.t

spike.t AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2013 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci int, basc,wpaz
    Hunted:
    zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe, hungary, france, england
    condolences. i always thought his hunts looked really interesting and different. another of those trips you think about doing but never get around to ........

Environ likes this.

18. edward

edward GOLD SUPPORTER AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    safari club,nra,d.s.c.
    Hunted:
    south africa and zimbabwe.alaska and several lower 48 states.
    always sad to lose one of our own,so few of us left anymore,really.

19. Nyati

Nyati AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    RFEC, RFETO
    Hunted:
    Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
    Sad news, RIP.

20. JES Adventures

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    @Anbessa Gedai I'd love to hear the Bangladesh story

Environ and Wheels like this.