Improving the 375 H&H

Beautiful bear ..for sure...something I wanted to know for a long time now..do hunters eat the bear`s meat like we do antelope meat when we hunt? It seems the conversion is going to give all the advantage to the heavier grain bullets ..

Black bear is quite good. I haven’t tried brown bear. They stink to high heaven when you skin them so I’m not sure I’d be up for eating one.

Image1608473535.642930.jpg

Image1608473557.538117.jpg

I use 270 grain A Frames in my .375 H&H for bear.

Bear meat is similar to other animal's meat in that the taste results primarily from the diet it had prior to it being killed. A brownie that was in the Salmon feed lot would not be considered tasty by most people however one that had been eating berries would probably be pretty good- but Brownies are not known for eating a lot of berries.

Love smoked black bear. Black bear jerky is awesome too. Our black bears here in Alberta do get a good diet of berries, and the meat is very good.

And in South Africa you will not be able to get 375 Weatherby head stamped cases, so for us it is a no brainer AI all the way
Hi IvW - just out of curiosity, why can't you get .375 Weatherby brass in SA ? It's in short supply here in US sometimes, but I've managed to get enough of it. You could fire 375 H&H in a 375 Weatherby and get well formed Wby brass, though it may differ slightly in rim thickness from Norma stuff. I've never been in Africa, so honestly enough have a stateside take on things.

Hi IvW - just out of curiosity, why can't you get .375 Weatherby brass in SA ? It's in short supply here in US sometimes, but I've managed to get enough of it. You could fire 375 H&H in a 375 Weatherby and get well formed Wby brass, though it may differ slightly in rim thickness from Norma stuff. I've never been in Africa, so honestly enough have a stateside take on things.

The laws in most African countries states your head stamp on your brass must match the caliber stamp on your barrel. I’ve been with a PH and was stopped, one time they did check ammo and rifles.

The laws in most African countries states your head stamp on your brass must match the caliber stamp on your barrel. I’ve been with a PH and was stopped, one time they did check ammo and rifles.
Still don't understand. If I have a 375 Weatherby, and am shooting ammo with 375 Weatherby headstamp, it would seem to be OK with the authorities. It would affect my suggestion to use 375 H&H brass, if you had no brass, but that wouldn't preclude using the Weatherby as an easy test case to see if he can get his desired velocity with the 375 Weatherby, without having to re-bore anything. If it satisfies him, he could then move to doing the rebore confidant that he'd get near his desired velocity. If he doesn't get his velocity, he can rebore or not. Possible he doesn't care that much about the velocity.

And then I habe to go through the entire rigmeroll of re licencing my fire arm as 375 Weatherby is considered a different caliber. Improved is not....
For us only improved is the best option. I dont think many realize what a pain in the arse it is to re licence firearms here.

And then we have the brass issue travel to Zim with a 375 Weatherby which is licenced as a 375 H&H and has 375 Weatherby brass and vise versa will be problematic..

Efred, in my case I only use Mauser action rifles . I have never owned another rifle brand like Winchester , Weatherby at all...and all my rifles are from many years back , every one older than myself ..the .375 H&H Magnum Coggswell & Harrison I currently own is more than sixty years of age ....as pointed out the licensing issues we are having in SA really is the deciding factor when moving to USA rifle brands like Weatherby...not a South African favorite at all with South African hunters since it is associated with extremely high velocities and light grain bullets that is a no, no here in SA,....most South African hunters use moderate velocity with heavy grain bullets for better /deeper penetration.

The only scenario the "high velocity /light grain bullets method of hunting /shooting is used here in SA is when hunters do varmint hunting and maybe target shooting out to longer distances than hunting scenarios...this is my opinion in regards to the foreign brands like the Weatherby rifles ..

And then I habe to go through the entire rigmeroll of re licencing my fire arm as 375 Weatherby is considered a different caliber. Improved is not....
For us only improved is the best option. I dont think many realize what a pain in the arse it is to re licence firearms here.

And then we have the brass issue travel to Zim with a 375 Weatherby which is licenced as a 375 H&H and has 375 Weatherby brass and vise versa will be problematic..
Well, I'm truly sorry for the legal hassles. I was thinking that somewhere you might know someone with a 375 Weatherby, with dies, who could help you test your heavy bullet concept. MIght even be someone stateside.

I have a 40 degree Redding die set, Gert is getting the reamer, I have hundreds of cases so its quite simple, ream the chamber, fireform, re load, check. Happy keep not happy re barrel and licence to 404 Jeff but I am convinced with the excellent 340gr, 350gr, 380 gr bullets we have locally the 375 H&H AI will shine....

I have a 40 degree Redding die set, Gert is getting the reamer, I have hundreds of cases so its quite simple, ream the chamber, fireform, re load, check. Happy keep not happy re barrel and licence to 404 Jeff but I am convinced with the excellent 340gr, 350gr, 380 gr bullets we have locally the 375 H&H AI will shine....
Makes perfect sense to give it a try, especially given the legal constraints there. Most people here simply don't have a clue how lucky we are in the US when it comes to firearms and firearms ownership.

My experiences with AI cartridges suggest it will be difficult to realize the full theoretical advantage ballistically as Ackley envisioned and published. But certainly interested in the findings and some chronograph data as the project unfolds and would love to be proven too conservative as I have two 375s. I would not be against converting one to AI for launching heavy for caliber bullets. :)

Reactions: IvW
Efred, in my case I only use Mauser action rifles . I have never owned another rifle brand like Winchester , Weatherby at all...and all my rifles are from many years back , every one older than myself ..the .375 H&H Magnum Coggswell & Harrison I currently own is more than sixty years of age ....as pointed out the licensing issues we are having in SA really is the deciding factor when moving to USA rifle brands like Weatherby...not a South African favorite at all with South African hunters since it is associated with extremely high velocities and light grain bullets that is a no, no here in SA,....most South African hunters use moderate velocity with heavy grain bullets for better /deeper penetration.

The only scenario the "high velocity /light grain bullets method of hunting /shooting is used here in SA is when hunters do varmint hunting and maybe target shooting out to longer distances than hunting scenarios...this is my opinion in regards to the foreign brands like the Weatherby rifles ..
Hi Gert - The licensing problems sound pretty bad. I envy you your Cogswell & Harrison, I've never seen one. Outside of major cities in the US, we have hardware stores and hardware store guns. I have a 30-06 Springfield, much like a Mauser, a 30-06 Remington 798, a Mauser, all "hardware store guns", as Rookhawk puts it. There is apparently a very different gun environment in Africa than exists in the US. With the internet, the situation is some improved here.

My .375 Weatherby, another "hardware store" gun, is about 150 fps faster than a 375 H&H, not an extreme difference, and it shoots 270, 300, and 350 gr bullets of sound construction. These aren't light bullets, nor are they excessive velocities. My .340 Weatherby is a little faster than a 338 WinMag, shoots the same range of bullet weights. The 300 Weatherby is a little faster than a 300 WinMag and shoots the same range of bullet weights. Again, not light weight bullets and not excessive velocities.

The 378 Weatherby is very fast for a .375 - I had the choice of a .375 and a .378, and I chose the .375, because the .378 seems too much, an opinion I think you'll share. Likewise the 416 Weatherby and 460 Weatherby, where I've chose .404 Jeffery (a Granite Mountain action and a Mark V action) and a 458 Lott in the Ruger RSM. Weatherbys in the range I'm discussing shoot the same weight bullets as the Mausers you refer to, at 100 to 150 fps higher velocity (factory ammo). Not light bullets, hardly excessive velocities, especially in view of the improved bullets now available.

There is no difference between a 375 Weatherby and a 375 AI ballistically - any criticism you can levy against the Weatherby you must levy against the AI also, except for licensing problems. In looking at an AI, you are looking for more powder capacity - more velocity for given bullet or more bullet for given velocity.

I was looking for a .375 H&H 15 yrs ago. The store I went to had a Ruger RSM, a Ruger African in 375 Ruger, and a CZ. The RSM was the nicest rifle, at twice the cost, but it was very muzzle heavy. I think Ruger used the same bbl size for the .375 and the .458 - worked well for 458, not so well for .375. The CZ didn't feel right to me, didn't come up easily, a bit blocky. I bought the African, due to its great balance, low weight, and powerful cartridge. Never regretted it. Love that rifle. For one reason or another, I never liked Remington or Winchester. I have a 30-06 Husqvarna that I really like - comes up right, light, no excess.

With heavy rifle experience, I doubt that you'd much notice the recoil difference between a .375 Weatherby and a 375 H&H. But not true for every client that you save - I feel for the man who buys a 378, 416, or 460 Weatherby for an Africa hunt without having shot a rifle before. He's in for a rude awakening, maybe a detached retina, and most likely he'll really need his PH. But there are a few others who have learned to shoot those monsters, like you with your heavy rifles, who'll likely do credit to themselves, and cause you little problem.

I wish you good luck and much enjoyment with your Mausers - you've had a lot already. If I were coming to Africa, I'd bring a .404 Jeffery and one of the following, depending on local terrain: 300 Wby Mag, 340 Wby Mag, 375 Ruger African. Most likely the 375 Ruger, because if you're hunting dik-dik in elephant country, you should prepare for elephant. I hope you'd support me in those choices, and wish me much fun and good luck!

I'm sure you're doing a good thing. It'll be interesting to hear a little about the 380 gr bullet performance. Hope your project proceeds smoothly !

IvW, you can do the exercise first, do all the relevant reloading, work out loads , see if you are satisfied..if you are , I will follow suite..if not I will refrain from reaming since I already have a 404 Jeffery and only one .375 H&H Magnum... (y) :giggle:

Hi Gert - The licensing problems sound pretty bad. I envy you your Cogswell & Harrison, I've never seen one. Outside of major cities in the US, we have hardware stores and hardware store guns. I have a 30-06 Springfield, much like a Mauser, a 30-06 Remington 798, a Mauser, all "hardware store guns", as Rookhawk puts it. There is apparently a very different gun environment in Africa than exists in the US. With the internet, the situation is some improved here.

My .375 Weatherby, another "hardware store" gun, is about 150 fps faster than a 375 H&H, not an extreme difference, and it shoots 270, 300, and 350 gr bullets of sound construction. These aren't light bullets, nor are they excessive velocities. My .340 Weatherby is a little faster than a 338 WinMag, shoots the same range of bullet weights. The 300 Weatherby is a little faster than a 300 WinMag and shoots the same range of bullet weights. Again, not light weight bullets and not excessive velocities.

The 378 Weatherby is very fast for a .375 - I had the choice of a .375 and a .378, and I chose the .375, because the .378 seems too much, an opinion I think you'll share. Likewise the 416 Weatherby and 460 Weatherby, where I've chose .404 Jeffery (a Granite Mountain action and a Mark V action) and a 458 Lott in the Ruger RSM. Weatherbys in the range I'm discussing shoot the same weight bullets as the Mausers you refer to, at 100 to 150 fps higher velocity (factory ammo). Not light bullets, hardly excessive velocities, especially in view of the improved bullets now available.

There is no difference between a 375 Weatherby and a 375 AI ballistically - any criticism you can levy against the Weatherby you must levy against the AI also, except for licensing problems. In looking at an AI, you are looking for more powder capacity - more velocity for given bullet or more bullet for given velocity.

I was looking for a .375 H&H 15 yrs ago. The store I went to had a Ruger RSM, a Ruger African in 375 Ruger, and a CZ. The RSM was the nicest rifle, at twice the cost, but it was very muzzle heavy. I think Ruger used the same bbl size for the .375 and the .458 - worked well for 458, not so well for .375. The CZ didn't feel right to me, didn't come up easily, a bit blocky. I bought the African, due to its great balance, low weight, and powerful cartridge. Never regretted it. Love that rifle. For one reason or another, I never liked Remington or Winchester. I have a 30-06 Husqvarna that I really like - comes up right, light, no excess.

With heavy rifle experience, I doubt that you'd much notice the recoil difference between a .375 Weatherby and a 375 H&H. But not true for every client that you save - I feel for the man who buys a 378, 416, or 460 Weatherby for an Africa hunt without having shot a rifle before. He's in for a rude awakening, maybe a detached retina, and most likely he'll really need his PH. But there are a few others who have learned to shoot those monsters, like you with your heavy rifles, who'll likely do credit to themselves, and cause you little problem.

I wish you good luck and much enjoyment with your Mausers - you've had a lot already. If I were coming to Africa, I'd bring a .404 Jeffery and one of the following, depending on local terrain: 300 Wby Mag, 340 Wby Mag, 375 Ruger African. Most likely the 375 Ruger, because if you're hunting dik-dik in elephant country, you should prepare for elephant. I hope you'd support me in those choices, and wish me much fun and good luck!
The 404 Jeffery is a great choice..I would bring a 7x57 as the second rifle to Africa for sure ...the 404 Jeffery for elephant and buffalo since your PH will have a .450 Rigby , or a .500 Jeffery or a .470 Double rifle ..to back you up...the 7x57 will be great for any other plains game ...small and medium game .

I have been to the Gunsmith shop today...since I have some time on my hands in this festive season..there are still the 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser I completed the stock half way already...the 8x68S project Mauser 98 Obendorf action /new enlarged magazine box , as well as the opened up action is completed...the two brand new reamers for the 8x68S and 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser are begging to be used in reaming the two barrel `s chambers..this will be happening soon...so I really do need to complete these two rifles before commencing with the .375 Improved conversion..so IvW will have a go at this project first...I want to see what the results are when he complete this project...as mentioned above..IvW has two .375 H&H Magnums ....I only have one ..and already have a 404 Jeffery ..I really hope the improved conversion will be what IvW expect it to be ,,,,,

The 404 Jeffery is a great choice..I would bring a 7x57 as the second rifle to Africa for sure ...the 404 Jeffery for elephant and buffalo since your PH will have a .450 Rigby , or a .500 Jeffery or a .470 Double rifle ..to back you up...the 7x57 will be great for any other plains game ...small and medium game .
How about a 6.54 x 54 MS in a Jeffery-worked Mannlicher Schoenauer ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg