If you could only have one...

Saul

AH elite
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
USA, UK, Hungary, Argentina, Mexico
I was checking out the absolutely amazing thread on trophy rooms and it got me thinking, with all of the beautiful trophies that you guys have, if you could only have one, what would it be? Maybe it is the way you chose to have it mounted or maybe there is something about the animal that just brings back the best memories from your safari. I would love to one day hunt buff and elephant, and I would cherish those trophies, but for me, the Kudu is my biggest desire and if I could have just those horns it would be my most prized trophy. Feel free to post a pic of your favorite trophy :)

That's a tough one, my big fallow is a euro which I've got into more than taxi these days. My favourite head is a red stag that I chased for two years, watched him grow out in velvet and took him as he was stripping before he took off. My favourite mount is my once in a lifetime free range aussie red, will never see anything like him again. Coincidentally I had the day off with my young fella today and got the big fella down for him to play with.
20190521_114724.jpeg

For me, it would have to the Kudu. The Kudu has been my favorite antelope since I can remember.

Kudu from my avatar

Now that's a very hard question! It would be a choice between 3:
1). The kudu from my Avatar. I've been obsessed with these grey ghosts for years. Never got one on my first trip. Second trip Marius got me on them!
2). My biggest moose. We always meat hunted for moose, so getting a big boy for moose #10 was a thrill!
3). Most likely would be my 2018 whitetail. I hunted longer and harder for him than any of my other trophies. Plus he was a stud!

That's a tough one, my big fallow is a euro which I've got into more than taxi these days. My favourite head is a red stag that I chased for two years, watched him grow out in velvet and took him as he was stripping before he took off. My favourite mount is my once in a lifetime free range aussie red, will never see anything like him again. Coincidentally I had the day off with my young fella today and got the big fella down for him to play with. View attachment 284510
Great picture.

image.jpg

As others indicate this is a difficult question because I remember all my hunts and the associated trophies great fondness. But if I have to pick it’s the ivory!

Tough call, especially as a taxidermist. But I'd have to say my Kudu pedestal. Hunted at Kowas in Namibia.

20181224_163005.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's beautiful work. I don't believe I've really seen any of your taxidermy work. Did you say you're down at the mount?

Cheers mate. Hopefully a mod will flip the pic for me, dunno why it does that?
Yes I'm in Mount Gambier. Doing a fair few African mounts these days on top of the local stuff.

View attachment 284666
As others indicate this is a difficult question because I remember all my hunts and the associated trophies great fondness. But if I have to pick it’s the ivory!
Those are absolutely stunning! Do you remember the weight? Where did you take them?

I shot an exceptionally large grizzly as a young man. I wish I still had it.

I'm still on the hunt for a finished kudu and then it will be my top pick.

My 40 1/2 inch Easter bunny eland. Never seen anything that big on the ground. Outfitter estimated he weighed about 1800 to 1900 pounds and is the biggest he's seen in over 20 years. Still waiting on pix from the outfitter.

My 40 1/2 inch Easter bunny eland. Never seen anything that big on the ground. Outfitter estimated he weighed about 1800 to 1900 pounds and is the biggest he's seen in over 20 years. Still waiting on pix from the outfitter.
Keen to see those pics!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg