If you could choose: Brno Z, ZG 47, ZKK or Cz 550??

burri22

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hello there

i was offered some rifles of the above in calibers like 7x57 and 7x64, also 9.3x62.
Here in Europe the 7x64 is the most common. I already have a Steyr 1912 Mauser in 9.3x62

So which one of the Czech Guns would you choose if all were in great and the same shape also Price ?

Thanks guys

My thought is I would get zkk if I intend to have others in the same model. I believe it is the only one with that reverse safety. Otherwise, that reversed safety could be a pain if your battery all functioned the other way.

I have owned several of the ZKK and ZG47 rifles. Both designs are very good. I think the ZG47 is a slightly better design, and the ZKK rifles fit me better. I kept the ZKK rifles and sold the ZG47. If I ever found a ZG47 in 9.3x62 I'd buy it and have it restocked.

Z in 7x57. Why? Small ring Mauser - slim and light and by far the nicest of the Brnos in terms of fit and finish. I especially like the stocks. They fit extremely well, have a small amount of cast-off and are very beautiful (IMO). The only thing I don't like about them is that when on safe, the bolt is not locked in closed position. Otherwise I think the ZG47 is best mechanically but the ZKK stocks are nicer. The peep sight ZKKs are great. CZ550s are great too, but stocks are a bit bulkier and I don't like the cheap "Remington of the 80's" sights. But they seem to be finished better than ZKKs of the 80s.

The older Brno rifles are certainly of better quality. The small ring Mod21 and 22 are well built rifles, weighing just over 6,5Lb and they were produced in 5 very sensible calibres namely 6,5/7&8x57, 7x64 and 8x60. I still own a ZG in 8x60 and a few Mod21 and 22’s. Unless you plan to achieve Weatherby velocities, the small ring action is no drawback.

As far as large ring Mauser 98 type actions go, the ZG and the commercial FNs are probably the best out there.

In the photos you can see the progression from the Mod21 to the ZG action.
001.jpg

IMG_0775.JPG

003.JPG

IMG_3876.JPG

Burri, in all honesty you could probably buy either of the four rifles and not make a mistake. It looks like the first ZG was reblued and had the stock redone.

What calibre is the second ZG47?

Burri, in all honesty you could probably buy either of the four rifles and not make a mistake. It looks like the first ZG was reblued and had the stock redone.

What calibre is the second ZG47?
its 7x57 Mauser

ZG47 or a nice ZKK with complete peep backsight. Too many clowns have lost the actual peep.

I agree. 1) tough choice and 2) any one will be good pick. I like the .308 best for looks but I do not like the short action. I like the barrel band and peep sight on the 7x64 ZKK but do not like the stock. Also on the ZKKs I would switch to the regular trigger on both of them. I also like the slightly bigger trigger guard on the ZKKs for winter hunting with gloves on. The ZGs are both nice. Where do you hunt and how? If from a stand, the double trigger ZG47 may be nice. LOL. Sorry. I'd have to see them in person to make up my own mind.

I agree. 1) tough choice and 2) any one will be good pick. I like the .308 best for looks but I do not like the short action. I like the barrel band and peep sight on the 7x64 ZKK but do not like the stock. Also on the ZKKs I would switch to the regular trigger on both of them. I also like the slightly bigger trigger guard on the ZKKs for winter hunting with gloves on. The ZGs are both nice. Where do you hunt and how? If from a stand, the double trigger ZG47 may be nice. LOL. Sorry. I'd have to see them in person to make up my own mind.

why do you dont like the short action ? here in europe the 308 is the most common, followed by the 7x64. the 7x57 is very rare, but an absolut easy and mild shooting caliber.
but i dont like the double set trigger on the one above.

Hi burri,

Me neither! That's the reason to not like this ZG47 7x57. I have had 3 ZKK 601, all in .308 Win. Now have only one, the earliest marked 1977, one of the last with the rear bridge peep sight and the front sling swivel in the barrel. Nothing to not like!! Two years ago I missed a pristine ZG47 7x57...
I think the ZG's were in other league than the ZKK both in fit and finish. Anyway that ZKK pre-71 are really well made and, to me, the best of the serie, together with the very last ZKK, those marked with CZ. I have seen few of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg