ICI Kynoch .375 question

Hoss Delgado

AH fanatic
Joined
May 5, 2019
Messages
925
Reaction score
831
Media
17
Articles
1
Hi , everyone. New to these forums but been hunting since childhood . Nowadays ,I use predominantly a Winchester Model 70 in .375 Holland and Holland Magnum for all my hunting purposes . Love the rifle . Love the round. I plan to take it to Africa in 2020 for an Elephant or a Cape Buff. I also read a lot of big game hunting books in my free time . I was reading this book called " kambaku " by an Ivory Hunter called Harry Manners ( Good read BTW ) . He basically used the same kind of rifle l coincidentally own . Anyway , In one chapter , Harry is talking about how he would use ICI Kynoch .375 Solids in his rifle ( this was in 1945 ). He says that initially , the Kynoch .375 cartridges had A LOT of Driving power and he actually once downed two elephants in one shot ( a bull was standing behind the cow he shot ). He mentions that not long after wards , Kynoch .375 cartridges no longer had the souped up driving power and Kynoch had reduced the powder charge.
Is there any accuracy in what he said ? Were the early ICI kynoch loads really more powerful than the later loads ? find it really strange that Kynoch would actually reduced the powder charge of a cartridges . I uploaded a picture from the relevant page of the book.
Really appreciate the help,
Hoss
IMG_20190506_013052.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Also , can someone help me with this terminology , which l came across in the book ?
" full- patch type solid bullet ( slightly flattened at the point ) " ?
Is that basically a .375 H&H round nosed solid ? Or is it something else ?

IMG_20190509_171013_01.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Full patch referred to full metal jacketing.

I cannot comment on the ICI Kynoch downloading.
 
Maybe try sending an email to David little at Kynamco about whether kynoch changed the loading in those days.....

http://www.kynochammunition.co.uk/
Thank you so much. Professional Hunter , IvW ( a forum Member here ) gave me the answer . The early Kynoch loads up to 1945 DID have souped up driving power. BUT this came with a serious risk or propensity of the bullets ( especially Round Nosed Solids , but also soft nosed ammo and Meplat solids ) to Mushroom / distort or deflect off the animal's bones . You can imagine how risky that would be . Thus , Kynoch reduced the powder charge in the .375 H&H Magnum calibre
 
so what were the ballistics before and after the reduction in charge?
bruce
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,338
Messages
1,573,284
Members
169,735
Latest member
UweHurtado
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top