I Want a Heym

@Daniel Cary ….That rifle is a .470 that I tried to sell you years back; the man in the pic was the original owner who ordered it and never fired it because of neck surgery.

Loved the wood on that rifle, wish I could have kept it; but could not justify owning two .470’s.
I had to re-read this & confirm it's gone...
 
CCH finishes get a bad rap. When brand new, they look stunning. When carried for a year, they look hideous. When carried for a lifetime, they look stunning again. Nothing prettier than muted colors that turn gray with a bit of deep blue remaining.

A bit of trivia for you guys. The "Coin finish" on fine guns is the equivelant of buying new designer blue jeans with torn out knees. After a gun is very, very tired and cannot be restored ever again, the last thing you do to the gun is drop the action into "Tidy Bowl" toilet cleaner. The acid, I think its muriatic but it may be hydrochloric, eats away all color from the crevices of the shallowed engraving, it eats the rust, it eats the remnants of color case hardening. Then the shadtree gunsmith polishes out the action to a "coin finish". It's literally the very first thing you flee from in collector fine guns as it is a ruined, reworked, tarted up old gun with no originality left.

So around 1950 the Spanish, then the Italians started to offer "coin finish" guns and they took off in the market and now people buy them. But they are replicas of worn out guns.

This is different than a Germanic or English gun that when new was CCH, dipped in a light acid to remove the colors, and lightly buffed to a muted gray color. That was original in some cases, but coin finish was never a real thing until a gun was either badly, badly restored or it was a modern replica.

I hate coin finished guns as I stare over my shoulder at two of them on their stands right now.
I've never been a fan a CCH per say, though I've seen some beautiful examples, surreal blues & golds. I did have to read this a few times however interesting. I've never knew what to refer to as a coined, polished, or (as VC often uses, Grey) receiver. Merkel. K, Heym, etc... just wondering if their polished, in short?
Thank you.
elwood epps.jpg

1703477879379.png

1703477998513.png
 
I've never been a fan a CCH per say, though I've seen some beautiful examples, surreal blues & golds. I did have to read this a few times however interesting. I've never knew what to refer to as a coined, polished, or (as VC often uses, Grey) receiver. Merkel. K, Heym, etc... just wondering if their polished, in short?
Thank you.
View attachment 576413
View attachment 576414
View attachment 576415


Polished with naval jelly, electroless plated, or stainless steel.

Traditional guns in a French Gray finish were color case hardened for the needed high carbon protection on otherwise low carbon steel, then polished to remove the CCH colors, but leaving the case intact.
 
@Kevin Peacocke ,etc,etc.

I know this has been covered countless times, however, if anyone can help.
heym-fabrik.de has changed course of course.

Heym's 89: is the .500 N.E. always built on the Gross Box?
 
Addl: Disregard the "Jumbo Frame"

Is there different Frames for the 88 as well. Is a 375 built on the same frame as a .500?
Thank You.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,302
Messages
1,572,126
Members
169,496
Latest member
SimonPoe43
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top