I think I've found the right broadhead

DoubleLunger

AH enthusiast
Joined
Feb 9, 2017
Messages
448
Reaction score
617
Location
Northern VA
Media
151
Hunting reports
Africa
2
USA/Canada
3
Member of
Virginia Bowhunters Association
Hunted
Namibia
HelixandtheConcreteWall005.jpg


Anyone use the Helix by Strickland Archery? I've found nothing but good about them so far. Talked to them on the phone and they were extremely helpful. Can't wait until they come in the mail so I can see how they shoot!
 
No I have not shot or hunted with them . but took one out of the package and looked at it, really sharp, but looks like it would be hard to re sharpen . Forrest
 
I shoot the Helix broadhead. It was my broadhead on two trips to Africa, one of which was a cull hunt, so I have ran them into quite a few animals (~45 critters). I have nothing but good to say about this broadhead. Great flight characteristics, very robust and durable, great penetration. Many animals succumbed in sight of the blind. My PH was very impressed. Strickland has a sharpener for the single bevel configuration, very easy to resharpen. Outstanding broadhead!
 
I shoot the Helix broadhead. It was my broadhead on two trips to Africa, one of which was a cull hunt, so I have ran them into quite a few animals (~45 critters). I have nothing but good to say about this broadhead. Great flight characteristics, very robust and durable, great penetration. Many animals succumbed in sight of the blind. My PH was very impressed. Strickland has a sharpener for the single bevel configuration, very easy to resharpen. Outstanding broadhead!

Excellent. By chance have you had it crush through any bone on any of the larger plains game?
 
If they are accurate and fly true then why not.
 
Excellent. By chance have you had it crush through any bone on any of the larger plains game?

I don't really know from personal experience. The critters all went to the skinning shed and I never really examined the carcasses. My bad. What I do know is the the single bevel broadhead is designed to take on bone. Since the single bevel causes the arrow/broadhead system to continue rotating in a target, the broadhead is designed to split bone.

 
Now that I think about it, before I went to Africa the first time I contacted a guy from Archery Talk that did extensive broadhead testing (actually the guy in the video in the previous post). I asked him what broadhead he would use if he were going to Africa. He told me that he would shoot the Helix. I've been shooting them ever since.
 
Last edited:
I don't really know from personal experience. The critters all went to the skinning shed and I never really examined the carcasses. My bad. What I do know is the the single bevel broadhead is designed to take on bone. Since the single bevel causes the arrow/broadhead system to continue rotating in a target, the broadhead is designed to split bone.


Now that's awesome! Curious as to how many yards he shot from. Probably not too far since it looks like it's possibly in a work shop
 
Now that I think about it, before I went to Africa the first time I contacted a guy from Archery Talk that did extensive broadhead testing (actually the guy in the video in the previous post). I asked him what broadhead he would use if he were going to Africa. He told me that he would shoot the Helix. I've been shooting them ever since.

Nice. What kind of game have you taken with the helix?
 
Yeah, not likely very far as it does look like shooting in a shop or garage.

I got a bunch of pass throughs. I didn't get a pass through on my eland, but the arrow was sticking out a good foot of the off side.....
 
Yeah, not likely very far as it does look like shooting in a shop or garage.

I got a bunch of pass throughs. I didn't get a pass through on my eland, but the arrow was sticking out a good foot of the off side.....

Very nice. What was your bow setup?
 
58 lb. draw weight, 28.5" draw length, 440 grain arrow, 75 grain brass insert so ~ 18% foc, 260 fps.
 
Either way, close or further out, I imagine it'll hurt like hell, and probably pass a fair deal through the bone. Get the animal 's shoulder and I expect the razor edge will thrash all the soft tissue inside.

Am I wrong here? I'm no archer
 
Either way, close or further out, I imagine it'll hurt like hell, and probably pass a fair deal through the bone. Get the animal 's shoulder and I expect the razor edge will thrash all the soft tissue inside.

Am I wrong here? I'm no archer

Of course my intention is not to make the animal "hurt like hell" but to do enough damage upon impact to put the animal down with the least amount of suffering possible as well as to ensure that the animal is recovered.

Other than that you are accurate my friend
 
I didn't mean it negatively, but I know some of our game are more hardy and don't just drop when they get hit. The hurt factor I'd think might cause them to give in sooner
 
Make sure you shoot right helical fletching for right single bevel broadheads . left helical for left single bevel broadheads. Forrest
 
I didn't mean it negatively, but I know some of our game are more hardy and don't just drop when they get hit. The hurt factor I'd think might cause them to give in sooner

Nothing negative taken my friend. I couldn't agree with you more
 
I had a bow put together for a Cape buffalo hunt next may. The guy that set up my bow told me to shoot 175 gr. Strickland helix. They fly awesome. He has set up many dangerous game set ups and uses them. If you watch the you tube videos they seem to penetrate very well. Although I haven't shot anything with them yet I think you will be impressed. Best of luck to you can't wait to hear more.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,294
Messages
1,570,843
Members
169,031
Latest member
EduardoLap
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top