I need boots for my first safari

I think my experience was totally different. I walked about 40 miles on my hunt. I think a good pair of boots are a must.

These served me well and are well thought of on the hiking forums.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-17 at 8.43.37 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-17 at 8.43.37 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 56
From your photos, I’d guess you hunt northern eastern cape or free state or maybe northern cape? Limpopo is very thick. It’s more like 90% truck 10% stalking for plains game maybe 75/25 if you decide to go up into mountains for a kudu several days, but most species are on the flat ground and you’ll spot and evaluate from the truck, maybe take 10 steps away and shoot in most cases. If it runs into brush you find a new one from truck. You just lose opportunities otherwise.
I generally hunt the Eastern Cape. Usually get a lot of exercise. The lodge knows I want it hard. Oh boy ... that sounded like something from the lyrics of a Village People hit. Sorry.
20230817_111430.jpg
20230819_162731.jpg

I´ve decided to go on my first safari which will take place in the Limpopo province of SA in late April. Since I live and hunt in Sweden I don´t own any boots that are appropriate for this climate so I need some recomendations from all the knowledgeble people here. I want something with a high shaft for good stability while being as breathable as possible. I also wonder how people like to do with their socks. I use a thin and kneelength wool sock underneath with a thicker but shorter wool sock on top to reduce friction but this combo would cook my feet in an instant in Africa so I need advice on a more suitable setup. I know that someone will recomend courtney boots but they are too expensive where i´m at and don´t really offer what i want. If anyone knows a good surplus boot that would be great so I could spend more money on more animals.

Also, please feel free to add any good beginners advice on safari footwear
What size shoe you where? I prefer Courtney’s for wide feet or some Irish setters

Another option, perhaps on the pricier side, are these from Gokey. They have a fairly wide toe box, which suits me well.

Chui_B1-1-2.jpg
Chui_B1-1.jpg
Chui_B1-2.jpg
Chui_B1-3.jpg
Chui_B1-4.jpg
Chui_B1-5.jpg
Chui_B1-6.jpg

Attachments

• Chui_B1-7W.jpg
    Chui_B1-7W.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 60
Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of companies have military boots that are made for the desert but not obvious from most websites you have to look. Courtney’s are good and they flat out work, but not much support. I usually wear Russell moccasins ph’s, quiet, cool, very breathable. But if I’m going to walk 10 miles a day my go to would be Solomon mantle high hikers, non gore Tex. I hate gore tex when it’s hot, be walking in a puddle by lunch.

Reactions: RLL
There are people that could walk barefoot, it’s a good idea to establish whether you are one or not, and take care of your feet. Blisters and cuts can ruin your trip. I can’t walk barefoot on my paved driveway, hence quality footwear.

I’m prone to Jim green boots and Merrill boots,
but I have no idea what Sweden carries
maybe something like
IMG_0535.png

I have not hunted Africa yet, but I wear boots daily and put a lot of miles on them, I really like the Merril, but I have dropped arches and planter facitous, they are comfortable, that being said I got a pair of haix scout boots through work and they have been working out great.

:A Banana:

Because one person does that doesn’t make it right. That’s silly IMO
I don’t think it’s suited for clients, but there are a large number of PHs that only wear sandals. He might be the only one in crocs but when you go to an area where tracking hunts are required and PH is on his feet all day every day in hot weather wearing socks and enclosed shoes can lead to blisters and other problems over time that won’t happen with open shoes.

Contact africa sporting creations, get a pair of Courtney's, break them in. Also bring a pair of crocs. I put one or other in carry on bag, fly with the crocs once on plane

I don’t think it’s suited for clients, but there are a large number of PHs that only wear sandals. He might be the only one in crocs but when you go to an area where tracking hunts are required and PH is on his feet all day every day in hot weather wearing socks and enclosed shoes can lead to blisters and other problems over time that won’t happen with open shoes.
Yep , tough trained feet are different than the average person, training your feet to the footwear you’re wearing will very personally

I hear what you’re saying. I live in Alabama, and work at my farm many many days in 90 heat 90 humidity. And we have a ton of snakes. Killed 2 rattlesnake and 3 copperheads this year. Ain’t no business wearing sandals with no socks. That’s some kind of macho thing and has nothing to do with blisters imo.

I hear what you’re saying. I live in Alabama, and work at my farm many many days in 90 heat 90 humidity. And we have a ton of snakes. Killed 2 rattlesnake and 3 copperheads this year. Ain’t no business wearing sandals with no socks. That’s some kind of macho thing and has nothing to do with blisters imo.
Wearing socks with sandals is simply going to collect a lot of grass seeds. I’m not sure your point on snakes? No one is wearing snake boots or snake chaps while hunting in Africa. A mamba wouldn’t care anyway.

Backpacking in the 70s moved away from boots in the traditional sense, almost entirely. Particularly if you don't walk much, the fact you have something light on your feet is a huge game changer. Africa isn't the moon, I assume when people go orienteering, backpaking, marathoning, etc... They don't wear colonial era leather footwear. I love leather, but since that change in the 70s, all my gear has been nearer running shoes, than boots. I had a severe ankle and knee injury in the 90s, and ankle support would be nice, but I still wear the same shoes when hiking.

The break I remember in the 70s was an article by a member of the crews that maintained the Apalachian trail system. They carried in huge packs of construction goods, and they were the ones who pioneered the use of shoes, even though back then there was no category of hiking shoes, they were using running shoes, and they also had very pliant soles. Nothing justified carrying pounds of boot with every step. Of course there could be local conditions that require a different approach, one assumes. Ask you outfitters.

Nothing will ruin a trip faster than a leather boot you haven't really broken in with the mileage that one expects on the trip. Not just a quick spin in the back yard. Find out what the triathletes are wearing as socks. Usually a very low ankle thing, but the technology is usually pretty nice for general wear, though my stuff is pretty old at this point. Make sure you have moleskin, and glide anti-chafe stick in your stuff, or whatever the modern versions are.

Here is a pic of Alex Honnold (north face sponsored). He has his waist belt done up, so the pack might weigh 20-40,#. Look at the footwear for Angola. The guy he is with looks like he has some serious dive weights on his feet.

1694914352073.png

Here is a pic of Gramma Gatewood, hiking the Appalachian trail in what look like Keds, or PF flyers. Back in 1955 she had no special gear. Light is right unless there is something specific to fear.

1694914623159.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiapharmafranchise

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….