Husqvarna 246 with Recoiling Sling

Fallschirmjaeger

AH member
Reaction score
I recently purchased this Husqvarna 246. It's one of the rarer Husqvarna rifles and it's a 9.3x62. The odd thing about this rifle is the addition of a Bretelle Automatique mechanism in the stock similar to the Manufrance made shotguns. It appears that the the original sling swivel hole was filled, so I doubt this stock was a custom job and I'd guess by the checkering style and pattern the stock was an original factory Husqvarna stock. I just wondered if anyone had any insight. I'm sure it was just a gunsmith addition someone wanted, but it's something you don't see every day on a rifle. The gun came out of Sweden.

eZPS0qnl.jpg
TMPwAn4l.jpg
TPqjAZil.jpg
YGnmSdOl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You mean it pulls the sling back into the stock like a car seat belt? Auto retract?

That's a nice feature. Love the caliber and Husky rifles are great.

Pretty slick!

Hello Fallschirmjaeger,

Love your rifle!!!!! This specific model is one of my dream rifles, indeed!! Anusually nice wood and the added plus of that sling feature!!
Have you fired the gun?
A question: how many rounds in the magazine box?
Congrats!

CF

As you note, that style French sling is fairly common on Darne and Manufrance shotguns. I am not an expert, but with a FN 98 action it would be pre-1953. The checkering is standard even if the wood is exceptional. I too would vote for the sling being a later addition. Whatever the date and provenance of the sling, it is the nicest 246 that have ever seen.

I have a slim little pre-war German 9.3 of about the same dimensions. From the bench, you will notice when the sear trips.

Last edited:
You're right Red Leg, the model 246 was produced by Husqvarna in 1939, 1940, and 1941. Later models of Husqvarna 98s employed the FN commercial 98 action. The model 146 (9.3x57), the 246 (9.3x62), and I believe some versions of the model 640 employed the surplus FN military style actions with the stripper clip cut. My 246 has a Belgian proofmark on the receiver below the wood line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OdessaHayg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.