Hunting scope

CBH Australia

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
Having a couple of hunting rifles I want to have at least one set up to be reasonably lightweight to carry regularly for short hunts/exercise.
I like my my Zeiss Diavari 2.5-10x50 and it’s nearing be say 600g, so does a Meopta 4-12x50

Leupold vx3i and Swarovski z3 have scopes under 400g to 10 power, maybe 450,ish grams for 12-14 power options in a different price point. Known price range between $700-$2400 Aussie dollars if you include Swarovski Z6 2-12

So if I’m buying one more scope to set up one of my Tikka to carry/hunt wanting lighter and brighter end of the spectrum. It could be on a 7m-08 , .308, .300wm or something in between in future when I settle on final configuration/future build. Considering customising one of these rifles bit by bit with a view to have a carbon fibre stock or barrel. To get sub 7lb hunting rifle in capable chambering. Likely using a Tikka all but the Barrels can be swapped around easily then.

Maybe it’s a pipe dream or talking point but what’s the max magnification you would go for this build? What scope? Max weight scope,, your preference? Is 4.5-14 or 2-12x to much , should I consider or discount 50mm objectives?

Low light and clarity are always factors particularly on dusk even if it’s just shooting pests. Buy once cry once.

What options/brands am I missing ? Current production/available scopes. Zeiss Terra all went like toilet paper in a Corona pandemic and the greedy buggers won’t sell them now. I have not seen a second hand one listed.

When I consulted the Dr @Dr Ray , I thought i could the Leupold Vx3i or The Swarovski Z3 bug, and it may be infectious but he said the Swarovski Z3 is the better of the two in his experience. He has a Winchester infliction too, but I already have Tikka condition that I can manage with the right remedy.

A published comparison seems to show the Swarovski Z3 being brighter than Leupold VX3i in the same situation (Online images) about a 50% price increase though.

This rifle setup probably is not required to shoot past 300m or be a varmint round but something that will suffice for any future hunting opportunity. Maybe NZ pigs and goats or a Black Bear hunt in the US, or just a deer hunt with a mate in another state.

In another weight class of 520gm or about 5 ounces heavier is ZEISS
CONQUEST HD5
3-15X42

But, Available at varying prices old stock. Good glass for the money imo.
Prefer lighter but asking opinions on weight and magnification.

Based on a hunting rifle for carry, plains rifle, mountain rifle and carry in thick scrub where I usually hunt. I don’t see me needing a dedicated Long Range rig. I want to learn some skills to 500plus metres on targets, steel or if confident of the situation taking a wild dog or a pig because I can’t get any closer.

I’m not going to hike with a range finder, spotting scope and ultralight snow gear to the top of the coldest mountain, not for fun anyway.

Check out Meopta's MeoPro 3.5-10x44. It comes in at 446 grams and will give you a clear and bright sight picture and you can dial in your reticle with Strelok Pro for BDC on longer shots. European quality optic for a great price. Definitely worth a look.

Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 - lightweight, low profile turrets, great glass for the money, available with ballistic reticles or a ballistic turret. Great no-nonsense scope, lots to like.
Z3 also a good option - have the 3-10x42 on my little 6x45. Had a Zeiss Terra 4-12 on it before and the Swaro is a massive step up. BRX reticle makes the longer shots (to say 300m) much more straight-forward even with the rainbow trajectory.

50mm objectives give you a nice exit pupil, ( and a good sales argument) but you may not be able to enjoy this advantage, unless you are a young man, as your own exit pupil decreases with age.

@bman940 I hadn’t considered that model Meopta, they have taken a price hike in Australia and I reckon my 4-12x50 is heavier so I considered them heavier than others. It would be a nice fit on one of my rifles.

@Desperatezulu I would like a Swaro, I wasn’t considering high magnification but that’s why I’m asking. I read somewhere Zeiss Terra were same build specs as Meopta MeoPro except outward looks but cannot find anyone to comment or confirm.
The Zeiss Conquest HD5 3-15 x42 with ballistic reticle can be had about half the Swarovski price being end of line clearance. The ones I’ve seen are good haven’t had them alongside a Swarovski. I used a Z6 on a hire rifle .

@Nyati I’ve read on exit pupils the objective diameter divided by magnification equals exit pupil in mm and 7 is the most the human eye a take advantage of that’s why 8x56, 7x50 or 6x40 scopes are all a good balance for brightness etc.
I’m not sure if I lose the advantage as mine decreases, I trying to get some good glass now so I can get every advantage as my sight deteriorates if I don’t get the full brightness I still use it s best my sight allows . If I had a 2-12x50 on 2 x I cannot take get the full advantage but it will still appear bright

My Meopta with BDC reticle is fine and that’s fine in the day or for varmint/target rifles but maybe not best for hunting low light or spotlighting, particularly as my eyes deteriorate . I’m 48 using contacts or prescription glasses so I’m trying to have a couple of nice things so i can enjoy them not kids have grown but I don’t have an infinite budget so I have to choose carefully. A couple of nice scopes and rifles to last the next 30 years will see me out and I can spend money on the hunt not the equipment.

I was thinking spend $3000 for a few things I want and my life is complete but there will always be something else.

Decisions, Decisions

My son in law is in the same space as you are, fairly light carry rifle with a wide range of capability. So settled upon a Sako 85 Bavarian with a Swarovski Z5, with the coloured turret markers. I had this scope on my FX air rifle for a while and the precision of the turret as well as the parallax adjustment made shots almost predictably boring.
He shoots baboon and wild pig on the farm, very effective.
501A15DB-6028-4D01-8948-1E7B48803403.jpeg

@CBH Australia I suggest that you go to YouTube and look up the Dark Lord of Optics channel. It is the creation of Ilya Koshkin, a Russian born optical testing engineer who lives in the USA where he tests military and civilian optics. He recently published a video on exit pupil and eye pupil. I already knew that the more exit pupil you have, the better, partly because it helps with latitude of eye relief which is particularly important for standing shots and more so for snap shots but (like in the infomercials) THERE IS MORE hence the reference to eye pupil. You should also watch his video on apparent field of view. His professional dispensation of knowledge and advice is a refreshing change from the garbage that we tend to see reiterated in hunting and shooting magazines; year by year and decade by decade.
Have fun whatever you buy and please publish images of the new setup and the results you achieve with it.

Having a couple of hunting rifles I want to have at least one set up to be reasonably lightweight to carry regularly for short hunts/exercise.
I like my my Zeiss Diavari 2.5-10x50 and it’s nearing be say 600g, so does a Meopta 4-12x50

Leupold vx3i and Swarovski z3 have scopes under 400g to 10 power, maybe 450,ish grams for 12-14 power options in a different price point. Known price range between $700-$2400 Aussie dollars if you include Swarovski Z6 2-12

So if I’m buying one more scope to set up one of my Tikka to carry/hunt wanting lighter and brighter end of the spectrum. It could be on a 7m-08 , .308, .300wm or something in between in future when I settle on final configuration/future build. Considering customising one of these rifles bit by bit with a view to have a carbon fibre stock or barrel. To get sub 7lb hunting rifle in capable chambering. Likely using a Tikka all but the Barrels can be swapped around easily then.

Maybe it’s a pipe dream or talking point but what’s the max magnification you would go for this build? What scope? Max weight scope,, your preference? Is 4.5-14 or 2-12x to much , should I consider or discount 50mm objectives?

Low light and clarity are always factors particularly on dusk even if it’s just shooting pests. Buy once cry once.

What options/brands am I missing ? Current production/available scopes. Zeiss Terra all went like toilet paper in a Corona pandemic and the greedy buggers won’t sell them now. I have not seen a second hand one listed.

When I consulted the Dr @Dr Ray , I thought i could the Leupold Vx3i or The Swarovski Z3 bug, and it may be infectious but he said the Swarovski Z3 is the better of the two in his experience. He has a Winchester infliction too, but I already have Tikka condition that I can manage with the right remedy.

A published comparison seems to show the Swarovski Z3 being brighter than Leupold VX3i in the same situation (Online images) about a 50% price increase though.

This rifle setup probably is not required to shoot past 300m or be a varmint round but something that will suffice for any future hunting opportunity. Maybe NZ pigs and goats or a Black Bear hunt in the US, or just a deer hunt with a mate in another state.
@CBH
Chris if you want the ultimate for light weight get the Leopold 2.5-8x36.
It will do everything you want, great eye relief, low weight and reasonable price.
Eight power is still enough to pop a bunny at 300 while 2.5 is fine for close work or running game. A fixed 6 power was good enough for pig and goat popping out to 300 years ago so up to 8 should be fine.
Bob.
Our Nick Harvey raves about that scope and mounts it on everything.

If it's going on a Tikka T3(x) as per stated plan, a 500g scope in Talley Lightweights will still leave you with a very light and portable setup.

If you are really keen on minimizing weight, and getting bang for the buck, I share the love for the VX3i 2.5/8 (actually 2.8/7.5) Field of view isn't great, but it's certainly good enough for most.

Stepping up a bit, I like the Z5 Swaros, particularly the new 2.4/12/50. Weighs around 454g. Better glass and better internals than the Z3. I prefer Leupold to the Z3 - no particular reason, just feel more comfortable with a Leupy.

I also like, and use, the Zeiss Victory HT, but unless you have a specific need for what they offer, it's just needless expense.

ZG47s point about exit pupil and the ease of acquiring or reacquiring a sight picture is well worth noting - I thought I was the only one who banged on about that(y). Unfortunately, with any variable, the exit pupil will always be a bit small for easy use at the higher powers - just part of the deal. My 2.5/8 Leupy has only once been past 4x/5x, and the 4x/5x shots were around 250/300 yds. Exit pupil at those mags is great.

Last edited:
It's no secret, I'm a big fan of Swaro scopes and their glass in general.
To stay within your approximate weight requirement and get the magnification you need...
The Swaro Z5 2.4-12x50 comes in at 459 grams and is around $1200USD.
Step up to the Z5i 2.4-12x50 with illumination at 484 grams and $1500USD.

I know they are just a bit over your weight requirements, but the glass is worth it.

I have a Leupold vx3i new in box that I bought on special and they upgraded me to CDS because they ran out. Not sure I need a cds

I HAVE NO QUALMS WITH LEUPOLD, it’s just that I work away and have time to read/research etc. I am hearing people say Swarovski is brighter and better, should be for the money.

Leupold /Swarovski Weight wise they are close In similar sizes

Meopta 3.5-10x44 is said to be bright and I believe it but it’s at least 100grams or 4 ounces heavier. I can live with that but I am aiming at a lightweight setup in one rifle so that may later include a carbon fibre stock . I don’t want to be counter productive and lose 500gm there and willingly buy a scope that weighs 200 grams more than comparable competitor

Bob, I have read a lot of Nick Harvey stuff years ago and probably hung of every word he said. His recommendation has value. I am exploring options.

Not all will come to fruition but if I have a few Tikka and I have , I might be able to reconfigure these for different purpose if I choose. All same action length so one carbon fibre stock could be used on a 7mm-08 while I’m using it regularly walking the creek if I go to NZ maybe I could put the .300wm in and use that for a trip/specific hunt.

The same with mounts and scopes, if I can settle on something.

So I have the .300wm on its way I might shift my Laminate stock, Zeiss Diavari in Optilock mounts to it and sit a lighter scope on the .308 that I mostly hunt with.

The 7mm-08 is a CTR but I want to burn out the .308 and put a 7mm-08 sporter barrel in that. Tikka take off barrels come up occasionally.

The setup I’m trying to achieve is for regular use a quick hunt after work with a few things on a belt grab the rifle and out the door so low light capable is a must. I seem to get pigs more on dusk this way.

I could carry a .375H&H but I need to narrow it down and have one rifle ready. Currently chasing signs of a large dog crossing the boundary so I want to be the one to get it. Expecting it to be a stray pig dog but a Dingo has been sighted close by too but the print I’m seeing is a big dog.
Nailing the bastard would be good for neighbour relations.
5A5F70F3-F648-4EE9-A66F-EB91CB83CE01.jpeg

Light weight seems to be a primary priority for you. A rifle that weighs about 8 lbs. with scope, ammo and sling requires a light weight scope. I recently bought a Leupold VX6HD 1-6X24 that has very good optics, good field of view, and weighs well under 400 grams. I bought it for my .404 Jeffery for DG hunting. It would also, in my opinion, would be a very good scope for a lightweight 7mm-08 or 308 where shots will be 300m or less.

I have a Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 on my 7X57 Model 70... probably more scope that that rifle needs and it is fairly heavy. The optics are very good.

I have a Leupold 2-7X on my Dakota .257 Roberts and this is a lightweight rifle suitable for deer, javelina, antelope, etc. on hunts where I walk a lot and appreciate a light rifle.

On my 7mm Remington Magnum I have a Schmidt & Bender Summit 2.5-10X40 which has outstanding optics and really excellent low light performance. Despite the 1" tube it is a bit large, but weighs less than 500 grams.

I have found that Leupold scopes are a good compromise between price, weight and optics, they seem to last forever and, at least here in the US, their warranty and service are unmatched. They will repair or replace any of their scopes under the lifetime warranty with no questions asked.

Last edited:
I really like the VX-3i 2.5-8 but even if it’s a little heavier I’m going with the Leupold VX-5 3-15 with the Firedot duplex reticle.All come with The custom Dial system CDS,basically a dial laser etched for your ammunition.Should be able to pick one up for 999.99.

I have a Leupold vx3i new in box that I bought on special and they upgraded me to CDS because they ran out. Not sure I need a cds

I HAVE NO QUALMS WITH LEUPOLD, it’s just that I work away and have time to read/research etc. I am hearing people say Swarovski is brighter and better, should be for the money.

Leupold /Swarovski Weight wise they are close In similar sizes

Meopta 3.5-10x44 is said to be bright and I believe it but it’s at least 100grams or 4 ounces heavier. I can live with that but I am aiming at a lightweight setup in one rifle so that may later include a carbon fibre stock . I don’t want to be counter productive and lose 500gm there and willingly buy a scope that weighs 200 grams more than comparable competitor

Bob, I have read a lot of Nick Harvey stuff years ago and probably hung of every word he said. His recommendation has value. I am exploring options.

Not all will come to fruition but if I have a few Tikka and I have , I might be able to reconfigure these for different purpose if I choose. All same action length so one carbon fibre stock could be used on a 7mm-08 while I’m using it regularly walking the creek if I go to NZ maybe I could put the .300wm in and use that for a trip/specific hunt.

The same with mounts and scopes, if I can settle on something.

So I have the .300wm on its way I might shift my Laminate stock, Zeiss Diavari in Optilock mounts to it and sit a lighter scope on the .308 that I mostly hunt with.

The 7mm-08 is a CTR but I want to burn out the .308 and put a 7mm-08 sporter barrel in that. Tikka take off barrels come up occasionally.

The setup I’m trying to achieve is for regular use a quick hunt after work with a few things on a belt grab the rifle and out the door so low light capable is a must. I seem to get pigs more on dusk this way.

I could carry a .375H&H but I need to narrow it down and have one rifle ready. Currently chasing signs of a large dog crossing the boundary so I want to be the one to get it. Expecting it to be a stray pig dog but a Dingo has been sighted close by too but the print I’m seeing is a big dog.
Nailing the bastard would be good for neighbour relations.
View attachment 355567
CBH
Chris I have a Meopta 3.5-10x 44 and it is brighter than any scope I have ever used. T they claim 98% light transmission per lens giving a 91% for the 3.5- 10x44.
Bob

@bman940 I hadn’t considered that model Meopta, they have taken a price hike in Australia and I reckon my 4-12x50 is heavier so I considered them heavier than others. It would be a nice fit on one of my rifles.

@Desperatezulu I would like a Swaro, I wasn’t considering high magnification but that’s why I’m asking. I read somewhere Zeiss Terra were same build specs as Meopta MeoPro except outward looks but cannot find anyone to comment or confirm.
The Zeiss Conquest HD5 3-15 x42 with ballistic reticle can be had about half the Swarovski price being end of line clearance. The ones I’ve seen are good haven’t had them alongside a Swarovski. I used a Z6 on a hire rifle .

@Nyati I’ve read on exit pupils the objective diameter divided by magnification equals exit pupil in mm and 7 is the most the human eye a take advantage of that’s why 8x56, 7x50 or 6x40 scopes are all a good balance for brightness etc.
I’m not sure if I lose the advantage as mine decreases, I trying to get some good glass now so I can get every advantage as my sight deteriorates if I don’t get the full brightness I still use it s best my sight allows . If I had a 2-12x50 on 2 x I cannot take get the full advantage but it will still appear bright

My Meopta with BDC reticle is fine and that’s fine in the day or for varmint/target rifles but maybe not best for hunting low light or spotlighting, particularly as my eyes deteriorate . I’m 48 using contacts or prescription glasses so I’m trying to have a couple of nice things so i can enjoy them not kids have grown but I don’t have an infinite budget so I have to choose carefully. A couple of nice scopes and rifles to last the next 30 years will see me out and I can spend money on the hunt not the equipment.

I was thinking spend $3000 for a few things I want and my life is complete but there will always be something else.

Decisions, Decisions
CBH
Chris I have both the Zeiss terra 3-9 and the Meopta 3.5-10x Meopro and they are both excellent scopes but for my 61 year old eyes the Meopta is far brighter but the Zeiss has a thicker reticle that suits my
Eyes.
BOB

@Nevada Mike weight is definitely a consideration but more so budget. Also low light . Dusk and and maybe it will be taken for a quick spotlight pending what I have on.

Versatility might be another priority. It’s a bias list I know.

$1000US is gonna be $1500 to me. A Swaro Z3 is $1290 and comparable weight to the Vx3i both around 340-360? The 2-.5-8 x36 saves an ounce

I would like to have a variety of scopes from various manufacturers examples of various types brands .

Bob, @bman940 suggested the 3.5-10x44 Meopta and i have looked at specs the last few days. It would be a great fit on my CTR which is used universally because of my travel it’s carted weekly used From a vehicle carried in a pinch. Pending if I have a sporter with me.

Other than weight that Meopta looks pretty good, discontinued model but available. I’m glad you have made your comparison above.
It ticks 2/3 bright, thick reticle. Slightly heavier but under $1000 in Aus

I thought I read the Zeiss Terra were Meopta but a found a couple of threads last night saying Meopta made Zeiss Conquest and these scopes are basically those models branded Meopta. That makes sense now.

Any comparisons between the 3-9x42 model and the 3.5-10x44 anyone? Maybe different reticle Zplex-Zplex2 slightly lighter and cheaper but debating merits of the 2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg