Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
Mule Deer Hunting Shot Placement

Post your questions, comments or pictures relating to hunting shot placement.

Hunting Mule Deer
mule-deer-vitals-hunting.jpg

Anyone has the right to share, copy, distribute and transmit this image/work (but not to adapt it, or use it for commercial use).

Hunting Mule Deer
mule-deer-hunting-vitals.jpg

Anyone has the right to share, copy, distribute and transmit this image/work (but not to adapt it, or use it for commercial use).

Last edited by a moderator:
Most likely going Mule Deer hunting this weekend. I've shot two previously and always aimed at the crease at the back of the front let however this seems to indicate the I should be aiming a few inches closer to the front. I don't worry about shoulder meat so will likely take the advice in represented here. Thanks

For the ones I've killed, the graphic is spot on. A 7 Mag 140 gr Partitions loaded to 7x57 velocities and my trusty '06 with 165 gr Partitions puts them in my freezer.

I'd rather aim a few inches higher and have the most leeway. A low brisket shot deer is going to get away every time.

These girls did ok. Both were shot with .308 rifles, 125 grain bullets, reduced loads to manage recoil. The deer were shot 2 years apart, and out of hundreds of thousands of acres open to hunting, both were shot within a half mile of each other. The first deer was shot a touch back of the line, and took out the lungs. The second deer collapsed in its tracks with a neck shot. Submitted from a very proud father.

DSCN1173.JPG
DSCN0228.JPG

Outstanding! Good on you Dad.

The photo is perfect shot placement for an impala, but I suspect most of us here would hold a bit higher on a mule deer or whitetail. I would.

Those are two nice mule deer! Congrats @HuntingGold to your daughters

It looks like the image and shot placement are spot on for an upper chamber heart shot.

bfbmod1.jpg
BFBmod2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanMatt

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg