hunting hyena?

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
as the title states, im thinking about a hyena but i dont know much about them. i understand they are hunted at night via spotlight or night vision. but i dont know much else...

-whats the best place to hunt hyena?
-whats the average trophy fee?
-how do you judge a good hyena?

also any pictures you have from you hyena hunt would be nice!

thaks
-matt

When I was in zim. They were shot at night with a caller. (Deka) they were like 750 or so if I remeber correctly. And they were judged based upon size and fluffiness of the coat. The fluffier the better for heyena trophies

Hunted my Spotted Hyena in day light, spot and stalk.

Judging them.... not really for me.
Saw one big enough and made the decision.

Winter time in RSA helps ensure they are a little fuzzier.

matt85,

Depends on if you are talking spotted or brown hyena... Both can be taken via various methods which includes calling, building a hide over bait, and spot & stalk. Spotted hyenas are more often encountered in packs, while browns are solitary or occasionally encountered in pairs. Spotted hyenas are found throughout Africa, although rare in the Limpopo area. Browns are much more common for us.

Also depending on the country, spotted hyenas are exportable, while browns are currently not as far as the U.S. goes.... They are often a bonus trophy of opportunity for most clients. We do target them specifically on the request of a client usually by baiting several sites and monitoring those hides for activity with trail cameras. Success really depends on the hunter's dedication to sitting on the baits, but for those willing to put in the time and hunt them in perfect stillness, silence, and darkness, hunting bait can be successful.

thanks @Limcroma Safaris, if brown hyena is not exportable then that puts them off the menu. i want to be able to bring my animal home.

-matt

I had a huge brown hyena in my scope last year on bait. I said "click" and let it walk. I'm still looked for a spotted!

This was actually an interesting and different hunt in Zim for spotted.

So the method was bait and blind, but you didn't sit in the blind. You snuck to a three sided blind right at daylight with the idea being that the hyena was already there and you shot it as soon as you got there. All I saw was some silly lions.... ;)

It was quite successful though for everyone else. I was the only one in camp that didn't get a shot while I was there. They had a LOT of hyenas....

Still trying after like 4 tries! Afraid its one of those things that if you don't insist on your PH getting serious about it, they wont. :( I note no one answered about trophy fees. Expect to pay at least $1000 and up for one if you are lucky enough to pot one. It will be number one or two on my list next time out.

Matt, here's the one we took last year.

DSC_0801_zpsed981e08.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0801_zpsed981e08.jpg
    DSC_0801_zpsed981e08.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 101

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverGood

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross